When to down a gel?

124»

Comments

• Wow all very helpful and I'm gonna enjoy trying these. I also have noticed I feel better after 5 miles or so.

I'm also struggling on hills, to that end I am starting to climb stairs instead of the lift to the 8th floor coupled with my riding. This week I will concentrate on strength in the legs by pumping on the upper cog at a lower cadence.
    What do you reckon?
    Don't call me sir I work for a living
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    Wow all very helpful and I'm gonna enjoy trying these. I also have noticed I feel better after 5 miles or so.

I'm also struggling on hills, to that end I am starting to climb stairs instead of the lift to the 8th floor coupled with my riding. This week I will concentrate on strength in the legs by pumping on the upper cog at a lower cadence.
    What do you reckon?

Best prepare well if you intend climbing 8 floors. Eat a good carbohydrate meal 2 hours before, an energy gel 15 minutes before, and remember to drink plenty of fluids with electrolytes like Gatorage even if you are not thirsty before during and after the climb. Consume another gel between the 3rd & 4th floors. Use your brown inhaler 5 minutes into your warm up. Consume at least one recovery drink immediately after you get to the 8th floor and use the blue inhaler. Make sure you only use the lift on recovery days. Pushing too hard on recovery days is a big mistake. Remember to download all power and heart rate data and send it to your coach. Work on your climbing step and ensure good even power through the whole stride. You might consider introducing a blood bag the evening before your hard stair climb but check with your doctor before withdrawing blood and ask him to check out your blood results to ensure there is nothing suspicious going to show up on your blood passport. Stick to the micro doses of EPO. Make sure any banked blood bags are clean and not 'glowing' for testosterone or growth hormone. Always check the thermostat is working properly on your fridge. Send blood sample to doctor via different courier. Do not use the same courier who delivered any drugs. Remind wife / girlfriend to make sure she has 'the prescriptions' just in case of drug bust. Ensure entry phone video is working so you don't answer door to drug testers. Contact lawyers to check on any outstanding court cases.
  • slowsider
    slowsider Posts: 197
    Are you sure that's safe, Trev ? :roll:
  • Wow all very helpful and I'm gonna enjoy trying these. I also have noticed I feel better after 5 miles or so.

What do you reckon?

Best prepare well if you intend climbing 8 floors. Eat a good carbohydrate meal 2 hours before, an energy gel 15 minutes before, and remember to drink plenty of fluids with electrolytes like Gatorage even if you are not thirsty before during and after the climb. Consume another gel between the 3rd & 4th floors. Use your brown inhaler 5 minutes into your warm up. Consume at least one recovery drink immediately after you get to the 8th floor and use the blue inhaler. Make sure you only use the lift on recovery days. Pushing too hard on recovery days is a big mistake. Remember to download all power and heart rate data and send it to your coach. Work on your climbing step and ensure good even power through the whole stride. You might consider introducing a blood bag the evening before your hard stair climb but check with your doctor before withdrawing blood and ask him to check out your blood results to ensure there is nothing suspicious going to show up on your blood passport. Stick to the micro doses of EPO. Make sure any banked blood bags are clean and not 'glowing' for testosterone or growth hormone. Always check the thermostat is working properly on your fridge. Send blood sample to doctor via different courier. Do not use the same courier who delivered any drugs. Remind wife / girlfriend to make sure she has 'the prescriptions' just in case of drug bust. Ensure entry phone video is working so you don't answer door to drug testers. Contact lawyers to check on any outstanding court cases.

I'm not sure you actually have a bike having wrote all that nonsense and if you do you really need to get more...... Saying that seeing as though you are in and reading this, you also have no idea (unless you actually do know me) about what level of fitness I am at and what condition my body is in through injuries sustained during service to my country giving you the freedom to write your clearly well thought out advice. Cycling being non impact gives me an opportunity to get out and do a form of fitness without having a massive impact such as running or rugby/football. I hate gyms and swimming is so boring that I feel when I'm in the pool like stopping and sinking to the bottom. Funnily enough I did consult my doctor who thought that cycling was might only serve to aggravate another injury and she is right I am in the process of having to alter clothing in an effort to protect the neck from the cold. Thank you for your thoughtful advice. Joining this forum also allows me to gain advice and guidance from the wealth of experience that are here when not riding.
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    Wow all very helpful and I'm gonna enjoy trying these. I also have noticed I feel better after 5 miles or so.

What do you reckon?

I'm not sure you actually have a bike having wrote all that nonsense and if you do you really need to get more...... Saying that seeing as though you are in and reading this, you also have no idea (unless you actually do know me) about what level of fitness I am at and what condition my body is in through injuries sustained during service to my country giving you the freedom to write your clearly well thought out advice. Cycling being non impact gives me an opportunity to get out and do a form of fitness without having a massive impact such as running or rugby/football. I hate gyms and swimming is so boring that I feel when I'm in the pool like stopping and sinking to the bottom. Funnily enough I did consult my doctor who thought that cycling was might only serve to aggravate another injury and she is right I am in the process of having to alter clothing in an effort to protect the neck from the cold. Thank you for your thoughtful advice. Joining this forum also allows me to gain advice and guidance from the wealth of experience that are here when not riding.

My attempt at satire was aimed at the sports drink, gel & bar industry and riders & coaches who are too dependent on these products. I was also having a poke at pro riders (and amateur riders) who stray over to the dark side.

I was in no way having a poke at you and I apologise if I offended you in any way.

What do you reckon?

My attempt at satire was aimed at the sports drink, gel & bar industry and riders & coaches who are too dependent on these products. I was also having a poke at pro riders (and amateur riders) who stray over to the dark side.

I was in no way having a poke at you and I apologise if I offended you in any way.

Thank you for clearing that up I have no idea about the industry hence I post on here, no offence taken. I hate it when Dr's are right :evil: Woh is me; I seem to hit barriers every time I think "I'll try that form of fitness".

I am determined to stick at this cycling as I love it, its only been 3 months. I like most ex-services think I'm as fit as when I was in my prime then get frustrated (at myself) when I don't meet the standard I think I am.