When to down a gel?

Rulebritania
Rulebritania Posts: 209
Hi,
I've got a couple hi 5 gels but I have no idea when I should take one. I am a beginner so I'm pushing hard and managing 20-25 miles without gel but I'm going to push further on Saturday.

What sort of distances should I be thinking to take one?
At what point in the ride?
What boost will I expect?
Are they really worth it?
Don't call me sir I work for a living

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Firstly, I don't think Gels are worth using outside of racing, so with that in mind........

What sort of distances should I be thinking to take one? 50 Miles and over
    At what point in the ride? 45mins - 60mins intervals
    What boost will I expect? Never felt a "boost"
    Are they really worth it? In racing, yes
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    No need really for a training ride, I only ever use them when racing, when eating is not an option, ie 50 mile and 100 mile TT's.

For a training ride, just eat normal food, though to be honest you have enough stored energy in your body if eating a good balanced diet for 3 or 4 hours if riding at an endurance effort, you will only start eating into glycogen alot quicker if you really ramp the effort up, but then you would probably struggle to do more than 2 hours anyhow whether you ate anything or not as fatigue would set in.

How far do you plan on going, and how long would you expect this to take you, and at what effort were you planning on.
  • Cheers Fella's
    I'm only a beginner at all this although I am already hooked. :mrgreen:
    My furthest ride was week last Wed: 34.1mi Distance 1,723ft Elevation 02:45:48 Moving Time

I want to better that distance wise anyway.
  • Hi,
    I've got a couple hi 5 gels but I have no idea when I should take one. I am a beginner so I'm pushing hard and managing 20-25 miles without gel but I'm going to push further on Saturday.

What sort of distances should I be thinking to take one?
    At what point in the ride?
    What boost will I expect?
    Are they really worth it?

You don't need gels, try real food.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    We'll all have different opinions; personally, I don't consumer gels on rides less than 50 miles and I don't race.

Gels are easier to carry than wrapped up food although I also take a banana out with me. On a 100 mile ride I can carry plenty of gels and energy bars in my rear pockets to sustain me without stopping off anywhere or having to use saddle bags. Gels don't appeal to everyone, but it is wrong to assume that people don't need them if they aren't racing. You may exert a lot of energy on your recreational rides and benefit from a quick energy boost. Gels were originally designed for racing but are nowadays aimed at all levels of sport especially endurance activities. If you exert the energy, use a gel/energy bar, but, normal food is fine if you choose to carry it or want to use cafe stops on a ride.

http://www.scienceinsport.com/event-cyc ... rtive.html
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I don't know but I can tell you when you shouldn't take one:
    • During a training ride
    • During a sportive
    • During a recovery ride
    • During a short race (1h or less)
    • During breakfast
    • During sexual intercourse

If you don't know when to down a gel, then you don't need to down a gel. It sounds like you've been sold something you've been falsely led to believe you need. If I were you I would take them back for a refund or give them to someone who needs them.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Thank you for the replies, although some have a patronizing tone, I am as said in the initial post a beginner therefore not "in the know"

But thank you anyway
  • StillGoing
    Herbsman wrote:
    • During a training ride
    • During a sportive
    • During a recovery ride
    • During breakfast

If you don't know when to down a gel, then you don't need to down a gel. It sounds like you've been sold something you've been falsely led to believe you need. If I were you I would take them back for a refund or give them to someone who needs them.

Based on what factual information?
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:
    • During a training ride
    • During a sportive
    • During a recovery ride
    • During breakfast

Perhaps the beginner cyclist OP who cycles 25miles might be a fair example
  • Based on what factual information?[/quote]
    Perhaps the beginner cyclist OP who cycles 25miles might be a fair example[/quote]

:?: Nope Don't get it?

• :?: Nope Don't get it?
    Really? Come on :roll:
  • StillGoing
    No, he lists training rides and sportives as examples when not to use gels and not the 25 mile ride of the OP. Looks suspiciously like c.o.c.k waving to me rather than any factual reason why you shouldn't use gels etc on training or sportive rides.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    No, he lists training rides and sportives as examples when not to use gels and not the 25 mile ride of the OP. Looks suspiciously like c.o.c.k waving to me rather than any factual reason why you shouldn't use gels etc on training or sportive rides.
    If you wouldn't/shouldn't use a gel in a sportive or training ride, then why would anyone assume it's a good idea on a 25mile leisure ride?
  • Herbsman
    philthy3 wrote:
    Using gels is a waste of money in most situations as there is just no need for them. Hence me saying if you don't know when to take one one, then you don't need to take one. I never said anyone had to agree with my opinion so feel free to waste your money on unnecessary products if you want to.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • StillGoing
    Eh? That isn't what he posted and nobody is suggesting you need a gel on a 25 mile ride. I'd like to know why he suggests you shouldn't use gels during sportives or training rides without qualifying it. Gels, recovery drinks, energy bars etc are not developed for the sole use of those who race and the likes of SIS and the other manufacturers, along with sportive organisers recommend their use. Blimey, they even hand them out at feed stations on some of them.
  • Herbsman
    philthy3 wrote:
    Gels are easier to carry than wrapped up food
    philthy3 wrote:
    You may exert a lot of energy on your recreational rides and benefit from a quick energy boost.
    philthy3 wrote:
    Gels were originally designed for racing but are nowadays aimed at all levels of sport
    What a ridiculous statement. A company aims a product at a certain target market to make themselves more profit, not to help people out.
  • StillGoing
    Herbsman wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    Using gels is a waste of money in most situations as there is just no need for them. Hence me saying if you don't know when to take one one, then you don't need to take one. I never said anyone had to agree with my opinion so feel free to waste your money on unnecessary products if you want to.

That's fair enough, but your reason is you prefer to use normal food rather than pay for the alternatives and that if the OP doesn't feel that they could use one, then they don't need one. That isn't a reason for not using them during the aforementioned sportives and training rides.
  • Herbsman
    philthy3 wrote:
    ...the likes of SIS and the other manufacturers, along with sportive organisers recommend their use.
    And why do you think that is? For our benefit? Or because it leads to increased sales?

Taking gels during a sportive may do no harm, but my opinion (which I never presented as a fact) is that they are unnecessary.
  • Herbsman
    Not sure why you feel the need to argue with an opinion that differs from your own especially when you yourself acknowledged the fact that
    We'll all have different opinions
    . You acknowledge that fact yet as soon as you see an opinion that you don't like, you start an argument :?
  • StillGoing
    Herbsman wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    You may exert a lot of energy on your recreational rides and benefit from a quick energy boost.
    philthy3 wrote:
    Gels were originally designed for racing but are nowadays aimed at all levels of sport
    What a ridiculous statement. A company aims a product at a certain target market to make themselves more profit, not to help people out.

Firstly, i have three pockets on my jersey in which i carry everything i need on a long ride. Sandwiches, wraps, cake etc take up more room than a couple of gels.

Secondly, if i'm riding for four hours or more I will expend energy. I've bonked enough times to know my energy will deplete during a lengthy ride and will need a boost.

Thirdly, so the real reason is you prefer not to put money into the hands of the manufacturers and your belief they're just ripping everyone off.
  • StillGoing
    Herbsman wrote:
    Not sure why you feel the need to argue with an opinion that differs from your own especially when you yourself acknowledged the fact that
    We'll all have different opinions
    . You acknowledge that fact yet as soon as you see an opinion that you don't like, you start an argument :?

That isn't what was said. You said you shouldn't use gels during training rides or sportives; I merely asked you to quantify why. Finally, you have based on your misgivings of putting money into the hands of the manufacturers and that's fair enough. I just wanted your reasoning. I don't agree with it, but it's reason enough for you.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Firstly, i have three pockets on my jersey in which i carry everything i need on a long ride. Sandwiches, wraps, cake etc take up more room than a couple of gels.

Secondly, if i'm riding for four hours or more I will expend energy. I've bonked enough times to know my energy will deplete during a lengthy ride and will need a boost.

Thirdly, so the real reason is you prefer not to put money into the hands of the manufacturers and your belief they're just ripping everyone off.

People who eat real food don't bonk as much as people who use energy drinks & gels.
  • People who eat real food don't bonk as much as people who use energy drinks & gels.
    Source?
  • StillGoing
    Hmm, and I haven't bonked since I began carrying gels. Spooky.
  • Well, Well, Well, I am merely thinking that as a beginner and endeavouring to put in the miles that an energy drink will provide me the umph to put in more miles.
  • Well, Well, Well, I am merely thinking that as a beginner and endeavouring to put in the miles that an energy drink will provide me the umph to put in more miles.
    So will your diet
  • People who eat real food don't bonk as much as people who use energy drinks & gels.
    Source?

What you eat prior to the event is most important. Remember, scientific tests are based on subjects having fasted. So any scientific papers you may wish to quote, which probably have very few subjects, were based on subjects who had not eaten prior to the test, which were probably funded by a manufacturer of said gel or energy drink or someone who became employed by same, is far from independent, and was probably not a double blind test anyway.

In my opinion if you train using regular inputs of carbohydrate in the form of sugar or sucrose you train your systen to become dependent on a regular input of the said gels & energy drinks.
    Source?

What you eat prior to the event is most important. Remember, scientific tests are based on subjects having fasted. So any scientific papers you may wish to quote, which probably have very few subjects, were based on subjects who had not eaten prior to the test, which were probably funded by a manufacturer of said gel or energy drink or someone who became employed by same, is far from independent, and was probably not a double blind test anyway.

In my opinion if you train using regular inputs of carbohydrate in the form of sugar or sucrose you train your systen to become dependent on a regular input of the said gels & energy drinks.

So you have nothing at all to backup your claim(Which I have bolded). I thought not
    Source?

So you have nothing at all to backup your claim. I thought not

You back up yours. I have my opinion you are welcome to yours. At least my opinion is mine rather than something I believe because I have been brainwashed.
  • You back up yours. I have my opinion you are welcome to yours. At least my opinion is mine rather than something I believe because I have been brainwashed.
    I didn't make any claims. Oh it's an opinion now? Funny, because at the time you stated it as fact then stumbled and attempted to backpedal when you couldn't back it up. I've requoted it again for you just to help you be sure what you said.
    People who eat real food don't bonk as much as people who use energy drinks & gels.

So please. Provide the thread with actual evidence, that makes your quote,and assertion of fact in the above quote. True..