Show us your winter bikes!!

Comments

• Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    As my new ribble should be here soon the caad8 is now demoted to winter duties/n+1

caad8winter.jpg
  • A lot of the bikes on here are a lot better than my summer bike.
    My winter commute is only 16kg
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    That looks set to take on anything!
  • Winter bike = Summer bike.

IMG_0107_zps5d666a23.jpg

And don't even get me started on mudguards...
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    Already posted in "Your Bikes" as hadn't spotted the winter bikes thread...

Too good to be just a winter bike. It now has guards and different wheels for the winter.

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    SRC - That is stunning!

Now with mudguards:
    ac227d44-f7c8-4ecb-a475-1b0897626e5b_zps632fb3ae.png
  • AdeT
    AdeT Posts: 34
    image_zps63d55d91.jpg
  • Here is my new Winter hack, full carbon F&F, 105 11spd with Mavic Ksyrium SR wheels, Arundel cages, 3T Ergonova Pro bars and stem, all in weight is 17lb inc lights & seat pack, sweet!!

imagejpg1.jpg
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    SRC1 wrote:

Too good to be just a winter bike. It now has guards and different wheels for the winter.

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG
    Proper tyres for winter, Pave's?
  • Paul 8v
    Winter bike = Summer bike.

IMG_0107_zps5d666a23.jpg

And don't even get me started on mudguards...
    I like those tyres on that bike, what are they?
  • Well, the season is over with the last of the hillclimbs, so the full length guards have been bolted on for the winter.

winter_14_15_by_iron_clover-d85cj1z.jpg
    It's somewhere between 9 and 10kg so not too much of a battleship.
  • PeeCee
    PeeCee Posts: 38
    Sorry about the crap pic, my Kinesis Racelight. 11speed 105, Mavic Aksiums, 3t bars and stem, SKS mudguards.

Not very light but rides nice.

imagejpg1.jpg
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    Paul 8v wrote:
    SRC1 wrote:

IMG_0074.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG
    Proper tyres for winter, Pave's?

Yes, they're Open Pave CGs. I bought them when I was planning to ride Paris Roubaix sportive last year. Lovely tyres, but not sure I'll leave them on over winter.
  • Paul 8v
    I saw a review where they said they were a great, but expensive winter tyre. Not sure what the puncture proteciton is like though. when you see that green strip though you know they mean business!I use the Corsa Evo's in the summer, too scared to use them this time of year though, they'll be shredded to pieces!
  • My S-Works Crux with SRAM CX1, Rovals, Gobl-r seatpost

• I know the setback is probably identical to a normal post but it looks like you'd be wheelying every where!
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • PeeCee wrote:
    Sorry about the crap pic, my Kinesis Racelight. 11speed 105, Mavic Aksiums, 3t bars and stem, SKS mudguards.

Not very light but rides nice.

imagejpg1.jpg

Is that a man cave in your kitchen or a kitchen in your man cave? :wink:
  • This arrived this week. Stem needs flipping and mudguards need fitting though.

DSC_0290.jpg
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
    Bird Zero TR
  • I like that very much. I think it's the pick of the colour schemes. Looks good with branded wheels (do report on how they are). But, Genesis, that chainset. Surely they could spec something less agricultural looking?
  • jjsh
    jjsh Posts: 142
    This is my 'Mr Scrooge' winter bike project. My first ever build, I've been sourcing the bits and bobs second hand over the last few months, with the priority being to end up with a nice handling winter bike that didn't cost much, so I won't be gutted when I drop it on the ice! That being the case, aesthetics took a back seat to getting the right part for bob all. :lol:

I really enjoyed building it, actually. Will have to do another. Ladies and gentlemen... my winter mongerl;

IMG_20141216_184534372_zpslmxseaep.jpg

IMG_20141216_184603166_zpsqtpts0rq.jpg
  • Paul 8v
    WTF is going on with those cables? Apart from that nice build.
  • jjsh
    jjsh Posts: 142
    WTF is going on with those cables?

They're to long! :) I was paranoid about making them too short and not shifting smoothly because of rubbish cable routing, but have obviously gone to far the other way, lol. I'm going to get some miles on it, let the cable inners stretch / settle in a bit, then sort it.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Had my Fratello for a few weeks now and finalised the stem position.

Been off the bike and concentrating on running for a about 6 weeks so it's difficult to say whether it's bike fitness or actual weight, but uphill it's a struggle to get up to speed. It is however ridiculously comfortable so I probably need to stop comparing it to my Canyon and just enjoy some leisurely winter miles.

15426049713_20d539a8cd_z.jpg
  • Paul 8v
    JJSH wrote:
    WTF is going on with those cables?

They're to long! :) I was paranoid about making them too short and not shifting smoothly because of rubbish cable routing, but have obviously gone to far the other way, lol. I'm going to get some miles on it, let the cable inners stretch / settle in a bit, then sort it.
    Good man, I'm not sure if it's possible but if you run the gear cables to the opposite side of the headtube you get less of a kink in them and they don't rub either. The bike looks good though apart from the cables.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    I would just change them now - you'll get sloppy shifting with them being too long and the inners don't really stretch - it's more the cable outers, especially the end caps, being forced into place that means you need to give the adjusters a turn - and if you cut them and do it again you'll just have to do it again.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • narbs wrote:

Been off the bike and concentrating on running for a about 6 weeks so it's difficult to say whether it's bike fitness or actual weight, but uphill it's a struggle to get up to speed. It is however ridiculously comfortable so I probably need to stop comparing it to my Canyon and just enjoy some leisurely winter miles.

15426049713_20d539a8cd_z.jpg

Is that damp in the bottom corner? Or just crap painting?

Also, ask Condor nicely for a bottle that matches. Worst case I'll post you mine if it saves me from seeing green on blue.

Slow uphill? I suspect it's just you. :D Like that time I had to wait for you on the Bwlch. Freezing I was.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    narbs wrote:

I have a similarly built Fratello (albeit a much smaller frame, see below) as my winter bike, I also find it a bit of a struggle on the hills compared to my other bike - but that's no real surprise given it's 2.5kg heavier. Done nearly 900km on it now and it is a really comfortable bike, it just feels like it wants to eat the miles. Putting a triple on it soon to make the hills a bit easier and in preparation for some light touring type stuff in the spring (maybe even audax...)

IMAG0245_zpsby39bequ.jpg
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    This arrived this week. Stem needs flipping and mudguards need fitting though.

DSC_0290.jpg

I do like the look of the new Genesis range. At first glance from the colour, I thought it was a Crois de Fer 30, but it looks more like an Equilibrium Disc 10(?) - although that looks a much deeper blue on the website.

Are you enjoying the ride?
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Is that damp in the bottom corner? Or just crap painting?

Also, ask Condor nicely for a bottle that matches. Worst case I'll post you mine if it saves me from seeing green on blue.

Slow uphill? I suspect it's just you. :D Like that time I had to wait for you on the Bwlch. Freezing I was.

It's the basement of my new offices, so no idea :wink:

And the Bwlch was a long time ago :D
  • Grahamcp wrote:
    This arrived this week. Stem needs flipping and mudguards need fitting though.

DSC_0290.jpg

I do like the look of the new Genesis range. At first glance from the colour, I thought it was a Crois de Fer 30, but it looks more like an Equilibrium Disc 10(?) - although that looks a much deeper blue on the website.

Are you enjoying the ride?

It is the equilibrium disc and the blue is a lot deeper than it looks in that photo. Embarrassingly I haven't been out on it yet! Its sitting in my dining room with have fitted mudguards on it. I've been to busy this week. I'm hopefully going to get out on it this weekend.
    Cannondale CAAD 10
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc 10
    Bird Zero TR