Hillsborough Report

124»

Comments

• warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    supersonic wrote:
    Has been quite a reaction to the verdict on some Sheffield forums that I visit. A lot of anger at the decision, many who refuse to believe that some of the Liverpool fans were not deemed to have contributed to the disaster.

That does sadden me but it's entirely understandable - there are a lot of stupid people about. I was there - I know what happened. The was a fan on Radio 5 (Peter Hooton from The Farm) who said that he expected the papers to report the Liverpool fans as heroes not as murderers.

And now I don't give a F.U.C.K what they say
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    WarrenG wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Has been quite a reaction to the verdict on some Sheffield forums that I visit. A lot of anger at the decision, many who refuse to believe that some of the Liverpool fans were not deemed to have contributed to the disaster.

That does sadden me but it's entirely understandable - there are a lot of stupid people about. I was there - I know what happened. The was a fan on Radio 5 (Peter Hooton from The Farm) who said that he expected the papers to report the Liverpool fans as heroes not as murderers.

And now I don't give a F.U.C.K what they say

I believe the binary reporting to be the problem rather than people's stupidity. The papers are reporting that no fans turned up drunk or tickletless. I suspect that they are interpreting a report that says something along the lines that "ticketless and drunk fans were not a significant contributory factor".

A very good article in The Tines today by David Aarronovitch in which he suggests the attitudes of the time led to a series of inevitable (but avoidable) disasters from Aberfan through Kings Cross, Bradford, Heysel, Hillsborough and Herald of Free Enterprise.
  • warreng
    Nah - they're just stupid. Just you watch - it'll be Utd and Chelsea fans (a significant minority anyway) singing "Murderers" next season. And if Forest Or Wednesday were in the Premiership they would too. Everyone else seems to fine with the verdict. Odd that
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • surrey_commuter
    WarrenG wrote:
    Nah - they're just stupid. Just you watch - it'll be Utd and Chelsea fans (a significant minority anyway) singing "Murderers" next season. And if Forest Or Wednesday were in the Premiership they would too. Everyone else seems to fine with the verdict. Odd that

If it is any consolation Chelsea fans are like that to everybody - they hiss at Spurs fans. I had to ask why and was told it is to replicate the noise of the gas chambers
  • warreng
    I live in Epsom and I am completely surrounded by Chelsea fans - they're perfectly fine!! I have a good friend who goes to watch Chelsea and also Wasps. At Stamford Bridge he turns into a frothing idiot and quite frankly I'm embarrassed to be seen with him. Whereas in reality he's a lovely bloke.
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • surrey_commuter
    Snap on the Epsom front and agree on the tribalism. It is most bizarre to see teenage girls on the tube proudly singing about having foreskins
  • warreng
    Haha. I'll tell my daughter to stop
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • surrey_commuter
    WarrenG wrote:
    Haha. I'll tell my daughter to stop

I only moved 9 months ago - which is the best bike shop for servicing?
  • warreng
    Corridori is pretty good. Nice people as well
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • surrey_commuter
    WarrenG wrote:
    Corridori is pretty good. Nice people as well

cheers
  • warreng
    WarrenG wrote:
    That same officer was the one that started the lies and smears. Plus he retired on a full pension and plays golf daily at a bournemouth golf course so my sympathy is with the other members of the police that day who actually tried to help the dying

well, well, well.
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Might actually be worth temporarily closing this thread, very real danger of jeopardising the case.