2 Dopers come 1st / 2nd in a race in Spain

Comments

• I'd rather watch a bunch of dopers ride an exciting race than Brad and Ryder win by default ...

I'm now (against my initial thoughts) hoping that Bertie doesn't get embroiled in the Bruyneel/LA saga ... Racing was pretty guff this year 'til he showed up ... He made everyone race again ...
    How did Brad win by default? Because a doper was banned? Or becaus ethe super TTer Shrek was injured? Best rider won the TFD at this time. The two mentioned shoukld not retire, they should not have been allowed back, all dopers should have life ban otherwise it is always a risk some will take.

I agree completely, just look at all those countries with capital punishment and how they have no murders.

Remember the war on drugs, too? Now there are no drugs!
    Oh ok I am wrong, anyone caught doping should be fined 50 euros and let to ride straight away, or get them a David Cameron hoody and give them a hug and welcome them back even if they deny doping :shock:
  • That would be nice if it were true, I dont think their drug taking made them exciting cyclists, it is their attitude to winning that allows them to be exciting.

I've never heard so much BS in all my life................................'attitude to winning'.....................give me a break..............
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Inrng reporting Vuelta has highest power numbers of a GT this year - Almost as strong as Bert's 2011 Giro.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Here's the report:
    http://www.cyclisme-dopage.com/puissanc ... dopage.htm

The two longest efforts (Bola del Mundo - 35 mins, and Puerto de Pajares - 33 mins), they were all around or below the 6 watts/kg. So believable enough numbers I think.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    iainf72 wrote:
    Inrng reporting Vuelta has highest power numbers of a GT this year - Almost as strong as Bert's 2011 Giro.

Down to the route.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    ThomThom wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Down to the route.

Why? On what logic??
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    mfin wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Down to the route.

Why? On what logic??
    It went around Spain.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    RichN95 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Down to the route.

Why? On what logic??
    It went around Spain.
    It's Vayer et al again. Power calcs primarily from VAM estimates. VAM tends to be higher for steeper climbs

ETA: background discussion of the technique: http://www.sportsscientists.com/search?q=vayer
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    So does the fact that unrepentant dopers make this a chipper this year? :D

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons.

Personally I would prefer that Contador said he was sorry for having a banned substance in his system, but he hasn't.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    couple of years ago I might have used innocent till proven guilty in reply here but the weight of evidence, what's been and is being revealed has embittered even me, which is a surprise to me, but have much sympathy with the initiator of this thread...the Vuelta GC was a joke and we have no idea who won or I certainly don't.

I wonder if Froome is actually as strong as at the TDF. J Rod, Bert and Piti are using the kit in my opinion
    http://www.cyclisme-dopage.com/puissanc ... dopage.htm

Same scenario in the second step of Asturias. Contador was unable to take a second to Rodriguez despite his many accelerations. Contador and Rodriguez developed 445 watts (6.5 watts / kg) of average power standard for more 25 minutes on the first part of the climb to the lakes of Covadonga. The irregular shape of the end of the climb was omitted to calculate the power developed. Valverde could pick up in the final kilometers. Contador , Valverde and Rodriguez climbed throughout the growing 33min40s from the Basilica of Covadonga.

Energy expenditure was most probably less important than the day before at the foot of the final climb with just one pass not very long menu of the stage. So we had a hillclimb opposing runners with more freshness than before.

Before the introduction of the Angliru in 1999, rising to the lakes of Covadonga was considered one of the hardest in the Tour of Spain. Famous runners are taxed on this increase: Pedro Delgado , Luis Herrera and Laurent Jalabert have prevailed twice at the top. Recorded the best performance was in 1997 with the victory of Pavel Tonkov. Russian, Jalabert and Zulle had developed 480 watts in power standard on the same stretch that Rodriguez and Contador this year (1min36s less). The difference of power is about 10%. Time comparison of the overall rise can not be done directly because the course was shortened to 500m in 2001.

The performance of the best riders of the Vuelta 2012 (26min05s) approximates that of Mosquera in 2010 (25min49s) and Menchov in 2007 (25min23s)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Likw someone said somewhere (not sure which thread)....................how many positives (dope tests that is) of Spanish riders have there ever been in the Vuelta.............answers on a blanl postcard to Pat Mctwat c/o UCI (eye-to-eye depending on how much money you give us) - Switzerland

Why?

If he read this thread he could only deduce that the majority of fans want to watch exciting cycling at any cost. So let the dopers dope because that's want we want to see. However, we also want the comfort of thinking that we re watching a clean sport so bust a few lowly domestiques and punish them properly but let the guys that are exciting and everyone like off cos other wise they ll whinge that the clean cycling is boring and watch something else...

Far from being a tw@t, I'm starting to think McQuaid is a flipping genius!! This is some kind of Orwellian Art Masterpiece he's turned cycling into!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    mfin wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Down to the route.

Why? On what logic??

Shortish, steep climbs will bring short periods of high power?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    RichN95 wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Down to the route.

Why? On what logic??
    It went around Spain.
    :lol:
  • http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contado ... rand-tours

"Contador believes it’s the memory of seven overall wins that matters and not what the record books show."

"Mentally, it is the image of the grand tours that I won," said Contador to La Dernière Heure.

"That other number appears on paper, it is ultimately secondary to me. What matters is my own feeling and the impressions that remain in the retina of the spectators," he said.

What sort of reality does he live in? Complete idiot!
  • http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-in-my-mind-ive-won-seven-grand-tours

"Contador believes it’s the memory of seven overall wins that matters and not what the record books show."

"Mentally, it is the image of the grand tours that I won," said Contador to La Dernière Heure.

"That other number appears on paper, it is ultimately secondary to me. What matters is my own feeling and the impressions that remain in the retina of the spectators," he said.

The same world as Lance World of 'I won those Tours'
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    AC, Valv Piti, LA and Vino ought to form some sort of club.

It's obvious that doping not only affect your performance but your perception of reality too
  • In my mind I have the looks of a young Sean Connery, the wit of Oscar Wilde and the cycling talent of Eddy Merckx.

Doesn't cut it in the real world, however.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    In my mind I have the looks of a young Sean Connery, the wit of Oscar Wilde and the cycling talent of Eddy Merckx.

Doesn't cut it in the real world, however.

It's in the eye of the beholder, remember. However that phrase applies to a third party, not oneself.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It was rotten, it got boring quickly, sky managed to control the Peloton and they were doping but two men mange to blow the whole peloton away and they are exciting. Cycling will never be clean when there are people that think like that.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-in-my-mind-ive-won-seven-grand-tours

I think he may be right, a completely ineffective punishment.
  • mfin

He's a prick making those comments, and has no respect (or a very skewed one) for the sport he earns a living from.
    "What matters is my own feeling and the impressions that remain in the retina of the spectators," he said.

Thats alright then, cos my retinas saw an unrepentent, fairy-story-creating, lying, cheating jerk making a comeback win after a Ban that didn't dish out what he deserved from his repeated doping, bullshitting, and being an all round vanilla personalitied dimwitted tw@t. Apart from that, I like him.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    0B4k4.gif
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    mfin wrote:

He's a prick making those comments, and has no respect (or a very skewed one) for the sport he earns a living from.
    "What matters is my own feeling and the impressions that remain in the retina of the spectators," he said.

Thats alright then, cos my retinas saw an unrepentent, fairy-story-creating, lying, cheating jerk making a comeback win after a Ban that didn't dish out what he deserved from his repeated doping, bullshitting, and being an all round vanilla personalitied dimwitted tw@t. Apart from that, I like him.

The amount of cycling fans who say he is still the rightful winner in their eyes is pretty sickening.
  • Sorry I've got no animated gif of Godzilla for you ThomThom.

I did find this eye test for you though:

466076_8179937_lz.jpg
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mfin
    ThomThom wrote:
    0B4k4.gif

Its not to do with 'hating', well, i hate cheating and doping. My concept of him would be quite radically different if he conducted himself with humility and took responsibility towards clean sport with as much enthusiasm as he takes winning.

If you think thats 'hating' then get real.
  • I'd rather watch a bunch of dopers ride an exciting race than Brad and Ryder win by default

I'd rather watch clean riders that win thanks to a culmination of dedication, hard work and sacrifice. Failing that, then at least riders that admit to their past and apologise for lying to cycling fans and cheating their fellow riders.
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think unless the Anti doping lot are able to get ahead of the curve and be able to have credible tests then we're all fumbling around in the dark. Riders can dope and have realistic wattage figures. Just because it's believable doesn't means it genuine. (Riders use EPO to get their blood levels up to the magic 49.99% Hemocrit level; plus steroids for recovery etc).
    Wanting proper dope tests is a bit like catching a thief before a crime has been committed. A lot of Labs are in the sideline business of developing drugs which give performance without a positive test. I think it has been said about a new EPO and steroid which is undetectable from China so again the testers are behind the curve. At the end of the day, with cycling, we're all on a hiding to nothing.

Feel sorry for Charly Wegelius as when Contador got busted, Charly lost his job.

Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • jerry3571 wrote:
    I think unless the Anti doping lot are able to get ahead of the curve and be able to have credible tests then we're all fumbling around in the dark. Riders can dope and have realistic wattage figures. Just because it's believable doesn't means it genuine. (Riders use EPO to get their blood levels up to the magic 49.99% Hemocrit level; plus steroids for recovery etc).
    Wanting proper dope tests is a bit like catching a thief before a crime has been committed. A lot of Labs are in the sideline business of developing drugs which give performance without a positive test. I think it has been said about a new EPO and steroid which is undetectable from China so again the testers are behind the curve. At the end of the day, with cycling, we're all on a hiding to nothing.

Feel sorry for Charly Wegelius as when Contador got busted, Charly lost his job.

Jerry

What was the story on Wegelius losing his job through that?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    jerry3571 wrote:
    (Riders use EPO to get their blood levels up to the magic 49.99% Hemocrit level; plus steroids for recovery etc).
    Erm, that is what they used to do. They would be caught by the biological passport now.
  • DeadCalm wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:
    (Riders use EPO to get their blood levels up to the magic 49.99% Hemocrit level; plus steroids for recovery etc).
    Erm, that is what they used to do. They would be caught by the biological passport now.

So now they know the parameters of the biological passport and the clever ones with the fancy "training plans" stay within those parameters. The BP limits the effectiveness of doping but it it still possible to dope and not get caught.