2 Dopers come 1st / 2nd in a race in Spain

juggler
juggler Posts: 262
edited September 2012 in Pro race
Why don''t these guys do the honourable thing and retire...

Comments

• Where is the yawn smiley?

Shit, there isn't one so this will have to do....

...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Why don't you do the honourable thing and stop trolling?
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • rozzer32 wrote:

+1!
    Cannondale SS Evo Team
    Kona Jake CX
    Cervelo P5
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    juggler wrote:
    Why don''t these guys do the honourable thing and retire...

Because professional cycling would be fucking dire without these guys.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    They've served their bans (sort of) so why should they retire? It's been a great race and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now. Would have rather seen J Rod win though.
  • Pross wrote:
    They've served their bans (sort of) so why should they retire? It's been a great race and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for now. Would have rather seen J Rod win though.

I support 2nd chance for those caught doping, but I won't give them the benefit of the doubt if they don't even have the grace to admit they were caught bang to rights, let alone apologise for it.

Contador showing 7 fingers for 7 GTs on the finish line? That's just an insult.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Pross wrote:
    Is that because there's little doubt really?
    Yet another OP that will just cue the inevitable fan bois (think FF, LL and TT is a Bertie thing to have a double name with the same initial - I see TT has already posted) Vs the cynics. It's not that I don't enjoy cycling, I just think I'd like it more if there wasn't a Contador/Valverde one-two, yesterday's stage won by Menchov, last year's Vuelta by Cobo, Giro winners from 2011 backwards, it's hard not to laugh or cry. "The peloton is cleaner now than it's been for year's" what complete crap.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Maybe it was to signify the number of months of his two year ban he actually served.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:

Maybe it was to signify the number of months of his two year ban he actually served.

I have a hand gesture for him that utilises the precise number of fingers as he had GTs stripped. What's more, it's been used on a finish line before. Though Cav did get some stick for it....
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Hah! :D
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I'd rather watch a bunch of dopers ride an exciting race than Brad and Ryder win by default ...

I'm now (against my initial thoughts) hoping that Bertie doesn't get embroiled in the Bruyneel/LA saga ... Racing was pretty guff this year 'til he showed up ... He made everyone race again ...
  • I support 2nd chance for those caught doping, but I won't give them the benefit of the doubt if they don't even have the grace to admit they were caught bang to rights, let alone apologise for it.

+1 I stopped watching the Vuelta when Steak-Boy took the lead. His continued presence is leaving a stain on the sport.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    twotyred wrote:
    I support 2nd chance for those caught doping, but I won't give them the benefit of the doubt if they don't even have the grace to admit they were caught bang to rights, let alone apologise for it.

+1 I stopped watching the Vuelta when Steak-Boy took the lead. His continued presence is leaving a stain on the sport.

did you stop watching Big Tex Mex at the tour and his kid-on performances also ???
  • thomthom
    I'd rather watch a bunch of dopers ride an exciting race than Brad and Ryder win by default ...

I'm now (against my initial thoughts) hoping that Bertie doesn't get embroiled in the Bruyneel/LA saga ... Racing was pretty guff this year 'til he showed up ... He made everyone race again ...

This.
  • thomthom
    twotyred wrote:

So basically what you are saying here is, you are not watching 90% of professional racing?

That would explain something of course..
  • ....and 3rd and 4th
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    This thread shows exactly why McQuaid has his attitude, the fact is that most of us cycling fans (even in GB and USA, where we re supposed to be the most anti-doping) would rather watch 2 dopers running rampant than clean cycling. We just want the doublethink to make us feel better about it. Even the most anti-doping twitterati (festinagirl, UCI Overlord, Shane Stokes, Blazing Saddles) have been fawning over both of them.

Hell, 99% of the cycling fans in the powerhouse countries just assume they re all doping anyway. What is in it for cycling to clean itself up? Nothing...

When you step back from the sport (getting sent to Siberia is effective for this), things get pretty depressing pretty quickly...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • So basically what you are saying here is, you are not watching 90% of professional racing?

Well its getting that way.
    did you stop watching Big Tex Mex at the tour and his kid-on performances also ???

No I didn't know enough about it then. Plus he was never caught at the time whilst Steak-Boy has been so there's no doubt.
  • juggler
    rozzer32 wrote:

yeh ok, maybe a provocative title.. but pretty much sums up what I felt. We are better than these guys, I no longer believe in second chances to be honest.. given the history of this sport, one strike and you are out for me now.

So we have a winner serving 6 mths of a 2 year ban for doping and a second place for a guy having served a 2 year ban. The thing is I don't care if they are clean today, As someone watching the race from my sofa, I would rather not see them riding. I am sure the race would be just as exciting for me without them.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    juggler wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

yeh ok, maybe a provocative title.. but pretty much sums up what I felt. We are better than these guys, I no longer believe in second chances to be honest.. given the history of this sport, one strike and you are out for me now.

So we have a winner serving 6 mths of a 2 year ban for doping and a second place for a guy having served a 2 year ban. The thing is I don't care if they are clean today, As someone watching the race from my sofa, I would rather not see them riding. I am sure the race would be just as exciting for me without them.

Did you watch the Tour this year?
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    rozzer32 wrote:
    juggler wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Yes, Valverde was in it. Was he particularly exciting? Even when he won a stage people were more interested in Froome.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver wrote:
    This thread shows exactly why McQuaid has his attitude, the fact is that most of us cycling fans (even in GB and USA, where we re supposed to be the most anti-doping) would rather watch 2 dopers running rampant than clean cycling. We just want the doublethink to make us feel better about it. Even the most anti-doping twitterati (festinagirl, UCI Overlord, Shane Stokes, Blazing Saddles) have been fawning over both of them.

Hell, 99% of the cycling fans in the powerhouse countries just assume they re all doping anyway. What is in it for cycling to clean itself up? Nothing...

When you step back from the sport (getting sent to Siberia is effective for this), things get pretty depressing pretty quickly...

Yes. I've been distinctly unimpressed by the blatant hypocrisy of people who would lynch Armstrong or Bruyneel, spent most of the TdF questioning whether Wiggins was clean and then collectively jizzed their pants at Contador and Valverde.

It's almost as if they don't give a flying f*** about doping, but will happily use it to beat riders they don't like round the head with...
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I quite enjoyed the tour tbf, it was quite interesting to see who was goin to crack first and the people who were dropped trying to get back on. Watching someone sprint and get caught got pretty old after a bit too.

Also as people said during the tour its a shame the strongest rider didn't win *tongue in cheek*
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I'd rather watch a bunch of dopers ride an exciting race than Brad and Ryder win by default ...

How did Brad win by default? Because a doper was banned? Or becaus ethe super TTer Shrek was injured? Best rider won the TFD at this time. The two mentioned shoukld not retire, they should not have been allowed back, all dopers should have life ban otherwise it is always a risk some will take.
  • J-Rod made some interesting comments after losing the points journey to Valverde, pointing to his rival's ability to contest mountain-top finishes AND the Madrid sprint finish.

Though Wiggins has managed similar feats this year, he didn't do so after having completed his second GT on the trot.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • juggler
    Yes. I've been distinctly unimpressed by people who collectively jizzed their pants at Contador and Valverde.

Dude... interesting... have you read any Freud?
  • juggler wrote:
    Yes. I've been distinctly unimpressed by people who collectively jizzed their pants at Contador and Valverde.

Dude... interesting... have you read any Freud?

Sometimes a blood-bag is just a blood-bag.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,383
    Yes. I've been distinctly unimpressed by the blatant hypocrisy of people who would lynch Armstrong or Bruyneel, spent most of the TdF questioning whether Wiggins was clean and then collectively jizzed their pants at Contador and Valverde.

It's almost as if they don't give a flying f*** about doping, but will happily use it to beat riders they don't like round the head with...

^ This.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    rozzer32 wrote:
    juggler wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Tour of Britain? Flanders? Turkey?
  • I've got no time at all for Valverde , slimy
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools