Vuelta Stage 16 **Spoiler**

Comments

• Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Is the steepest finish on any grand tour? Steeper than Mont Ventoux?
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I'm struggling not to mention doping here...

Oh, sod off..

Just witnessed an absolutely fantastic stage. Just enjoy that.

jesus...
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132

It could also be pointed out that if organisers insist on putting in climbs like this, they're not exactly discouraging riders looking for any assistance they can get.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Feel for Froome there. That last hundred metres looked horrible.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    That was brutal! Great climb.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Froome finishes just ahead of Monfort... holy crap, Radio Shack are in this race?!
  • Top ten GC carnage.

JRod and Valverde are a total joke.

Well done Contador. You try unceasingly. You ride from the front. One more chance to take out Joaquim.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ThomThom wrote:

Oh, sod off..

Just witnessed an absolutely fantastic stage. Just enjoy that.

jesus...

Sorry, I don't usually mind so much - but if Bertie is a doper then...J-rod has never liked a 19km climb in his life. He got dropped by Hesjedal in the Giro? As for Valverde...
  • Lichtblick
    Rodriguez, Contador, Valverde on podium, in that order, say commentators.

Even though there's another week to go.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574

What kind of logic is that? Jrod and Valverde were fantastisc today too.
  • Lichtblick wrote:
    Is the steepest finish on any grand tour? Steeper than Mont Ventoux?

Nah, the Angirlu and Zoncalon are way steeper.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    LangerDan wrote:

It could also be pointed out that if organisers insist on putting in climbs like this, they're not exactly discouraging riders looking for any assistance they can get.

I'm not sure I buy that argument. Doping doesn't make you hurt any less, it just makes you hurt the same at a slightly higher speed.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    Top ten GC carnage.

Well done Contador. You try unceasingly. You ride from the front. One more chance to take out Joaquim.

If JRod is a total joke, what does that make your doping hero, Frenchie?
    You really do come out with some crap, but then that is balanced by loads of superb photos! :D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    What a brute of a climb! Is it new to the Vuelta? Can't recall seeing so many pros struggling so much - how they manage to put in attacks on 20% slopes is beyond me. Anyone think Froome may abandon? He looked absolutely finished at the end.
  • LangerDan
    afx237vi wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

I'm not sure I buy that argument. Doping doesn't make you hurt any less, it just makes you hurt the same at a slightly higher speed.

And the suffering will be over quicker - at least that was Pantani's logic
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Jeez, that was a monster.

Painful to watch!
    Mañana
  • Top ten GC carnage.

How are they a joke?

Why would you blow yourself up and ruin all your chances attacking if you don't need to?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Lichtblick
    Where's Contador gone with an overjacket on, on his bike? Don't tell me they have to RIDE DOWN too!
  • Lichtblick wrote:
    Where's Contador gone with an overjacket on, on his bike? Don't tell me they have to RIDE DOWN too!
    Buses are in the car park about 4k down.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746

Remind me who has the red jersey.

And what do you have to do if you want to get it off someone.

It's called racing. Behave
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Top ten GC carnage.

You really do come out with some crap, but then that is balanced by loads of superb photos! :D

I assumed he was talking about how they mark Contador all the way and jump him with 500m to go
  • LangerDan

So when Contador smoked J Rod and Valverde on the Angliru in 2008, were they clean then?
  • Crozza wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Top ten GC carnage.

I assumed he was talking about how they mark Contador all the way and jump him with 500m to go

Or "race" as it's also known.

FF seems to have this idea that everyone should play to Contador's stregnths regardless of their own position.

@gietvangent
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Top ten GC carnage.

How so? Valverde was shot and got dropped every time the others attacked and J Rod is leading so doesn't need to do any more than cover the attacks, especially when he can pick up a few seconds at the end. He's playing it perfectly and although Bertie is trying everything he hasn't found any chinks in the armour. I thought you would have started to appreciate tactics in racing by now.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I don't like J Rod.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I don't like J Rod.

How come?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • I don't like J Rod.

He's made it look way to easy for someone who can't do 'long climbs' and siffered in the Giro at the hands of lesser competitors. Wasn't a huge fan to begin with though.
  • rick_chasey
    First win in 2 years in a GT for Quick Step.
  • rick_chasey
    Jez mon wrote:
    I don't like J Rod.

How come?

Totally irrational.

No good reason.