Vuelta Stage 16 **Spoiler**

victorponf
victorponf Posts: 1,187
edited September 2012 in Pro race
All about the queen stage of Cuitu Negro (final climb profile, old videos, route...)

http://www.revistadesdelacuneta.com/ten ... ge=v12et16
If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com

Comments

• Does anyone know how many bonus seconds Joaquim has over Contador so far this race?

16_perfil.png

Last climb is 19.5km long with a max of 22% and an average of 7%

H%20AST%20Cuitu%20Negro%20(Frecha).png
    http://www.revistadesdelacuneta.com/ten ... ge=v12et16
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I fear that given the serious averages of the last couple of km that Joaquim will win and gain more time and bonus seconds. It will be like a leg burner on the way up then a repeat of several of the earlier stages this Vuleta.

I hope however that Contador gains 30 odd secs, then JRod gets a bonus time between now and the Bola and the Contador blows them away there for 2+mins.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pozzi
    Pozzi Posts: 23
    What do you think about today FrenchF? Contador to be the only one who attacks, and see who can stay with him, or will we see Purito or Valverde try something?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    It is hard to see if J Rod was hurting as much as he says as hidden by sunglasses..I reckon Bert will crack him
  • Pozzi wrote:
    What do you think about today FrenchF? Contador to be the only one who attacks, and see who can stay with him, or will we see Purito or Valverde try something?

Put my thoughts just before you posted. Valverde will try and take more time on Froome if he has the legs. Don't think Joaquim will do anything until last 2km when I am sure he will go for the stage. As for Contador, he can always be relied on to try and go for the win - he is not racing for 2nd!

Already on the way to the hotel in Gijon after a stage of continuous attacks.Tomorrow more!;-)
    -Contador yday
    Contador is the Greatest
  • It has to be said that every quote of Joaquims I have read puts him in a good light.

"How many attacks were there? 32? 33?" Joaquim ‘Purito' Rodríguez (Katusha) asked with a grin after Alberto Contador (Saxo Bank-Tinkoff) launched a blistering series of accelerations on the steepest segments of the Lagos de Covadonga in stage 15 of the Vuelta a España.

Although ultimately unsuccessful, Rodriguez said that Contador's multiple charges had had him ‘on the rivet' and on hearing that Contador was on a bad day, instantly responded that "heaven help us when he's on a good one, then!"

"There were a couple of moments when I simply couldn't respond," Rodriguez said, "he was dominating the race in the way that he wanted to. If he'd done one more attack then I would have been suffering like a dog."

"Fortunately I remembered from other years [Rodriguez rode up Lagos in 2010] that there are some false flats and descents, otherwise I'd have been in real trouble. Just as well I have that thing where I can can dig deep for 500 metres and hang on."

Looking ahead at Monday's ‘queen stage', Rodriguez predicted that "it's going to be mad if it's anything like today. I had thought about using a 39x28 gear but they told me to use the gears I had on the Angliru."

His humour, though, remains intact despite the hard racing: "Valverde has won one Vuelta, Contador's lost count of what he's won...this morning I said to Valverde, ‘come on, let me win something, please.'"

See that small descent just before the last 2km today - perfect for JRod to rest if he takes a battering on the way up before launching himself up the 20%ers.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Non-climbers must be seriously not looking forward to this, let alone after two very hard climbs in previous two days.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cuitu-n ... all-climbs
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    So both Boom and Ten Dam are riding compacts today.

Lars Boom ‏@lars_boom
    + 1 “@laurenstendam: First time in my career. Compact. STEEP”
  • Anyone else been impressed with the ride that Talansky's putting in?
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    When they say that they will be on compacts, do they mean that they will be on 50/34's or something like a 52/36? I'd have thought that with a 28 at the rear a 36 would be fine at the front for the pros! Are there any fast descents on the stage? I'd have thought that on a quick Vuelta descent that 50-11 will be undergeared?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Anyone else been impressed with the ride that Talansky's putting in?

Yep. He's my PTP GC pick, so I think of him as my second son.

Strava is not Zen.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Anyone else been impressed with the ride that Talansky's putting in?

Yup - the battle for 5th to 10th places has been more interesting than usual, with less than 3 minute covering the 6 of them and Talansky has been plugging away quietly - well apart from riding up to the big boys on Saturday.

I suspect he'll be in trouble today / later this week - he's only 23 and hasn't done a three week tour before. Mind you, we were saying the same about Sagan this year, so Talansky will probably win the stage and put 5 mins into everyone.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    It has to be said that every quote of Joaquims I have read puts him in a good light.

I think it would be fitting for J-Rod to win a GT before he retires, if only for the entertainment he's provided in the last few years.

Mind you I never thought as I saw him tearing up Tirreno he'd parlay that into GT form.

Is he the about the only Spanish top flight rider not linked to Fuentes, or did I miss it?

Strava is not Zen.
  • well, in that case as his dad you might want to help him with his impending battle to challenge his non-selection for the US team for the Worlds....
  • opps, sorry, that was for his father calvjones...
  • Anyone else been impressed with the ride that Talansky's putting in?

Definitely. Been pointing him out all Vuelta. Vaughters thinks very highly of him and he just came into the Vuelta having won the Tour de l'Ain.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • otbf-vlt12-2.jpg
    vlt12-miss16.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • CORVOS_00019821-026.jpg
    CORVOS_00019784-006.jpg
    CORVOS_00019763-035.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Contador is even using SRAM’s new WiFLi rear derailleur, whose mid-length cage allows him to use larger sprockets - and this smaller gears - on the steep mountains of the Vuelta. This is not proving to be enough however, and he was chased down by Rodríguez and Valverde each time.

“Purito [Rodríguez] is stronger than ever,” Contador explained. “Because of my six months break, I’m missing the little extra strength that I’d have liked to have. I imagine the crowd has enjoyed the spectacle. I hope to be better tomorrow but in any case, I’ll fight till the last metre.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Sorry Victor didnt see this post before I started mine. Mods, please merge, thanks.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • otbf-vlt12-2.jpg
    vlt12-miss16.jpg
    I bet she's really unpopular :roll:
  • Rhomas De Gendt in a 2-man breakaway with 30 secs on the peloton :D
  • Rhomas De Gendt in a 2-man breakaway with 30 secs on the peloton :D

Thomas, even
  • Cataldo other rider and they have about 7mins
    Contador is the Greatest
  • riis.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    riis.jpg

He's not making a comeback is he? :shock:

Or is that your hero Frenchie, with the mask taken off? :D

And what is he doing with his hands?!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Beginning to develop some man love for de Gendt.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Dorset Boy wrote:

He's not making a comeback is he? :shock:

Or is that your hero Frenchie, with the mask taken off? :D

And what is he doing with his hands?!

Apparently there's a 60% chance he might :lol:
  • 13mins.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Contador is even using SRAM’s new WiFLi rear derailleur, whose mid-length cage allows him to use larger sprockets - and this smaller gears - on the steep mountains of the Vuelta. This is not proving to be enough however, and he was chased down by Rodríguez and Valverde each time.

“Purito [Rodríguez] is stronger than ever,” Contador explained. “Because of my six months break, I’m missing the little extra strength that I’d have liked to have. I imagine the crowd has enjoyed the spectacle. I hope to be better tomorrow but in any case, I’ll fight till the last metre.”

awsome, thats a champion! compare to andy schleck the loser