Vuelta Stage 16 **Spoiler**

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,161
    Contador is even using SRAM’s new WiFLi rear derailleur, whose mid-length cage allows him to use larger sprockets - and this smaller gears - on the steep mountains of the Vuelta. This is not proving to be enough however, and he was chased down by Rodríguez and Valverde each time.

On at least one of the early MTF Bertie was beaten because he was undergeared in the last few metres. Apart from being completely knackered though, I didn't really understand what was stopping him changing up - given the speed of his cadence there can't have been a huge load, and it might have saved him a few seconds.
  • Yeah the one where they pipped him he looked to be spinning something super tiny.

Gap at 15mins. Saxo on the front.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Joaquim Rodriguez and Katusha have had a special aid to their recovery over the past couple of days. Rather than risk getting stuck in traffic jams, the Russian squad has travelled to their team hotel by helicopter after the stages. While such measures are not permitted in the Tour de France, UCI commissaires said that teams are free to travel as they wish at the Vuelta. “It’s not forbidden by UCI rules”, chief commissaire Didier Simon explained. “Only the specific regulations of the Tour de France state that transport by them organized is compulsory. It’s no problem that a team favours the recovery of the riders.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Joaquim Rodriguez and Katusha have had a special aid to their recovery over the past couple of days. Rather than risk getting stuck in traffic jams, the Russian squad has travelled to their team hotel by helicopter after the stages. While such measures are not permitted in the Tour de France, UCI commissaires said that teams are free to travel as they wish at the Vuelta. “It’s not forbidden by UCI rules”, chief commissaire Didier Simon explained. “Only the specific regulations of the Tour de France state that transport by them organized is compulsory. It’s no problem that a team favours the recovery of the riders.”

Before people get upset at the unfairness of it all, the organisers have been flying out all riders in the top 10. Here's Froomes pic from the other day - behind him are Roche, Valverde and Bertie

roche-contador-froome-helicopter.jpg
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,161
    LangerDan wrote:
    Before people get upset at the unfairness of it all, the organisers have been flying out all riders in the top 10. Here's Froomes pic from the other day - behind him are Roche, Valverde and Bertie

roche-contador-froome-helicopter.jpg

'Where's the ejector button?'
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Joaquim Rodriguez and Katusha have had a special aid to their recovery over the past couple of days. Rather than risk getting stuck in traffic jams, the Russian squad has travelled to their team hotel by helicopter after the stages. While such measures are not permitted in the Tour de France, UCI commissaires said that teams are free to travel as they wish at the Vuelta. “It’s not forbidden by UCI rules”, chief commissaire Didier Simon explained. “Only the specific regulations of the Tour de France state that transport by them organized is compulsory. It’s no problem that a team favours the recovery of the riders.”

Well that's not bloody fair! That's practically cheating!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Cataldo or De Gendt?

Cards on le table please.
  • Lichtblick
    Why do these stage maps always show two routes?

mapa16.jpg
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Lichtblick wrote:

For all the non-race support vehicles.

Like team busses, etc.
  • I want to do this stage! Anyone know if there are sportives over the route?
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick wrote:

For all the non-race support vehicles.

Like team busses, etc.

You are so knowledgeable! Do you know EveryThing? salute.gif
  • Lichtblick
    Does anyone else think they keep seeing Sammy Sanchez?
  • I want to do this stage! Anyone know if there are sportives over the route?

Yes it was last week - 25th August, over same course.
  • oneof1982 wrote:
    I want to do this stage! Anyone know if there are sportives over the route?

Ahhhh. Perhaps as well I'd need to lose some weight before trying that :D
  • Lichtblick wrote:
    Does anyone else think they keep seeing Sammy Sanchez?

Yeah! Could have sworn it was him behind the deli counter at Tesco the other day...
  • Lichtblick
    Your JRod is a very long way down the back.

At the moment.
  • oneof1982 wrote:
    I want to do this stage! Anyone know if there are sportives over the route?

Ahhhh. Perhaps as well I'd need to lose some weight before trying that :D

Run by ASO who do tdf and Etape du Tour. Had a quick look. Only 128 finishers out of 170 starters, so don't expect we'll be seeing that one again.
  • Pace has been high for a while now. Saxo and Eukaltel on the front.

Rodriguez was right at the back of the strung out peloton and isn't making up ground to the front quickly. Contador very close to the front. Gesink near the back. Valverde not at the front.

Good this - will play into the hands of the endurance climbers.

Lead getting chipped away - 8mins now
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Lichtblick
    One Euskaltel on the front, then six Saxo.

WTF is Contador doing???????????????
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Is that Contador dropping back to check out Rodriguez there?
  • Hmm what is going on here. Contador letting all the peloton going past him.

Lol, just rolling back to check out to see how JRods pedalling.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Valverde's bike looks lovely.

The three now riding side by side.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited September 2012
    Damn Froome looks totally smoked. No way he is recovering on the final climb. Gonna lose size.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Froome boom?
  • Lichtblick
    Since Contador's gone back to eyeball Rodriguez, and stayed there, why are Saxo still at the front?
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Looks like Henao and Uran have been given the green light to race for themselves. Good move.
  • Lichtblick
    Hmm what is going on here. Contador letting all the peloton going past him.

Would Contador have decided to do that himself, or had instruction from BR?
  • Damn Froome looks totally smoked. No way he is recovering on the final climb. Gonna lose size.

Like in the TdF when he looked dead.. then sat in for a min and upped the pace?

I find froome hard to predict.. he'll loose time again I think. How much I'm not sure.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Lichtblick wrote:
    Hmm what is going on here. Contador letting all the peloton going past him.

Would Contador have decided to do that himself, or had instruction from BR?

Unfortunately, they never seem to listen to Bikeradar instructions.
  • Lichtblick
    How about Mr. Riis?