Sky and Rapha

Comments

• I skim read that as "barrister" and figured they needed some law stuff.

hsmack.gif

Best laugh I've had all day. :lol:
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    ...it's Burberry for bikes really.

It's really not. I can't think of a more fitting analogy, but I don't see many chavs wearing Rapha while they are terrorising Grannies around my neck of the woods ;)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,603
    I skim read that as "barrister" and figured they needed some law stuff.

hsmack.gif

Best laugh I've had all day. :lol:
    :( sad times.

<< Dyslexic innit.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

It's really not. I can't think of a more fitting analogy, but I don't see many chavs wearing Rapha while they are terrorising Grannies around my neck of the woods ;)

"This isn't just any cycling jersey, this is an M&S cycling jersey".....
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

"This isn't just any cycling jersey, this is an M&S cycling jersey".....

Is it more Louis Vitton or Dunhill perhaps?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250

I'd imagine that Henri Lloyd thought the same about their technical sailing jackets, complete with flouro hoods................
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Dunno what all tne crying is about ... If you can't/don't want to afford Rapha ... Don't buy it ...

If you like Rapha but don't like the idea of it being cheapened by the Sky deal ... Don't buy any more ...

I'll admit I'd prefer it not to be Sky, I just don't do nationalism on any scale and a successful UK team brings out the t!t in quite a lot of the members of this board and the public in general ...

Garmin manage to have a deal with North Face and it doesn't hurt the brand ... But imagine if it had been the Halfords team?

I do wonder what clothing people on here wear day to day given some of the inverse snobbery ... I guess if I go to the next sale I'll find out ...
  • Not sure their skinsuit looks very aero, but if the numbers add up in the wind tunnel!

Rapha%2Btweed%2Bsuit.jpg

02fitness.2-650.jpg
  • Not sure their skinsuit looks very aero, but if the numbers add up in the wind tunnel!

Rapha%2Btweed%2Bsuit.jpg

02fitness.2-650.jpg

That line's ready made for the Giro....
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Dunno what all tne crying is about ... If you can't/don't want to afford Rapha ... Don't buy it ...

If you like Rapha but don't like the idea of it being cheapened by the Sky deal ... Don't buy any more ...

I'll admit I'd prefer it not to be Sky, I just don't do nationalism on any scale and a successful UK team brings out the t!t in quite a lot of the members of this board and the public in general ...

Garmin manage to have a deal with North Face and it doesn't hurt the brand ... But imagine if it had been the Halfords team?

I do wonder what clothing people on here wear day to day given some of the inverse snobbery ... I guess if I go to the next sale I'll find out ...

I think you misunderstand the internet
  • Crankbrother
    Fair point ... But if i described my self as therapist i'll get pitchforked ...
  • Much has been made of the secret squirrels' skinsuits, didn't Sky get permission to make their own yellow jersey skinsuit (marginal gains and all that) - who 'owns' the rights to that fabric? British Cycling/Sky or Adidas?

With the symbiotic relationship between Team Sky and BC will BC be kitted out by Rapha too?

On a more personal level I hope Rapha will be making affordable children's sizes; two little boys at my house practically live in their Sky shirts (and have done for the best part of two years); with all the talk of the Brad effect, and Olympic legacy this could be deemed to be 'an own goal'.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Much has been made of the secret squirrels' skinsuits, didn't Sky get permission to make their own yellow jersey skinsuit (marginal gains and all that) - who 'owns' the rights to that fabric? British Cycling/Sky or Adidas?

With the symbiotic relationship between Team Sky and BC will BC be kitted out by Rapha too?

On a more personal level I hope Rapha will be making affordable children's sizes; two little boys at my house practically live in their Sky shirts (and have done for the best part of two years); with all the talk of the Brad effect, and Olympic legacy this could be deemed to be 'an own goal'.

I suppose it depends on your definition of affordable. I have two girls 11 and 9 years and would love to buy them cycling tops but I haven't come across any at a reasonable price that you can justify them quickly growing out of and so its just T shirts at the moment.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Which is why buying replica Team kit from Chinese firms is nothing to worry about. Pretty much the same quality and at a fraction of the price.

And occasionally *cough* from the same factory as the 'original'.
    as someone that sources goods from the far east its seen as being exceptional if the item wasn't sourced from the same group/ factory nowadays.
  • Rapha clothing is sh*t. Its the typical clothing company bull with high prices for what is basic cloth marketed as classic design and people fall for it.

Team Sky using them is a disaster, everything will be black, white logo and a white line underneath and will be sold as " clean, sophisticaed design"...at twice the price of the Adidas kit. Its a backwards move on Skys part, its like Apple computers using PC World to design their products.

Also the Rapha sizes are appaling. A lot of riders i see are stocky guys, middle aged with money and yet the biggest size Rapha do is XXL which is a 45 inch chest. So that rules out three quarters of potential buyers then.

Worst decision ever Brailsford.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    7 pages already. Well done.

I must pay a bit more attention next time I am out on the bike. I've never actually noticed the brand of clothing any other cyclist was wearing. Clearly I am doing something wrong.
  • Gladiator wrote:
    Rapha clothing is sh*t. Its the typical clothing company bull with high prices for what is basic cloth marketed as classic design and people fall for it.

Team Sky using them is a disaster, everything will be black, white logo and a white line underneath and will be sold as " clean, sophisticaed design"...at twice the price of the Adidas kit. Its a backwards move on Skys part, its like Apple computers using PC World to design their products.

Also the Rapha sizes are appaling. A lot of riders i see are stocky guys, middle aged with money and yet the biggest size Rapha do is XXL which is a 45 inch chest. So that rules out three quarters of potential buyers then.

Before passing judgement, how about waiting to see the designs - and the price tags? Or a crazy idea?
  • Not really come across Rapha with being a new cyclist.. But they seem to split opinion alot! I mean i like TeamSKY british team with some of the best riders in the world etc etc and after looking at the rapha site they seem to make some pretty retro looking gear that looks nice but is pretty expensive, but so is castelli and asos..

People mention about SKY fan boys not being happy with this new deal.. but why is that? - I think some people on here need to chill out and not get so hung up on some things, its great your all passionate but just take a deep breathe sometimes!
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Gladiator wrote:
    Rapha clothing is sh*t. Its the typical clothing company bull with high prices for what is basic cloth marketed as classic design and people fall for it.

A bunch of fatties riding around in their gear isn't going to enhance the brand image now is it?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    APIII wrote:
    Gladiator wrote:

A bunch of fatties riding around in their gear isn't going to enhance the brand image now is it?

Oh, I don't know...it could have it's charms

Lampre.jpeg

The Lampre kit only went up to 45 inch chest, too.
  • Gladiator wrote:

Oh dear.
  • calmx5
    calmx5 Posts: 230
    Gladiator wrote:

Oh dear.

Oh dear oh dear.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    Gladiator wrote:

with all due respect that's rubbish.

Rapha put in more way more R&D than the equivalent cheaper brands and it shows in the price. You pay for stylish genuine quality. If you don't like it don't buy it but stop spouting ill-informed rubbish
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    Rapha stuff is pretty good quality. I don't personally think it's so good that I'll pay the standard price, but I pick up items now and again in the sales and the tops are comfortable and hard wearing.

It was interesting seeing the links to alternatives to Rapha. I'm surprised anything thinks they're actually competition. They may be pretty good value/quality, but Rapha are tremendously good at getting the details of the image right, which includes the presentation on the website, the videos, the styling and so on and none of those companies seem to be able to evoke that at all. The accoutrements such as man bags are probably a loss leader, designed to create an image rather than actually sell. It's a carefully designed detail to build a fantasy for people to buy into. I quite like it, though I'll not be buying the team sky gear. I'd rather wear my club kit!
  • dave milne wrote:
    Gladiator wrote:

with all due respect that's rubbish.

Rapha put in more way more R&D than the equivalent cheaper brands and it shows in the price. You pay for stylish genuine quality. If you don't like it don't buy it but stop spouting ill-informed rubbish

Or you'll do what?
    Exactly, nothing, you're just another over opinionated t0sser on here, with his head up his ars*.
  • Personal abuse?

Well I'm totally on your side now!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Right...deep breath...

Do some of you seriously believe that Rapha will be kitting Sky out in merino cycling jerseys and skin suits? FFS they have an excellent Pro Team range that’s never been near a sheep and is just as good as the kit Sky currently wear in the peloton (seen both in the flesh and tbh the Pro kit is better). Rapha will be working with Sky in this area. Rapha will continue doing what they’ve always done in the ‘normal’ cycling range and no doubt this ‘off the bike’ stuff with fit into the Rapha/Paul Smith model. They’re not daft. They’re not about to pi$$ away what they’ve built up. They will no doubt produce a less technical range in the style of their Roubaix Challenge and Etape line which comes in at about £50 a jersey. So unlike Adidas, if you want to splash out, you really will be able to wear the actual kit that Sky wear or, if you don’t want to splash out you’ll be able to buy kit of the standard that Adidas currently sell to the fans.

And on a side note...

If you buy Rapha to be elite you’re a tw4t.
    If you don’t buy Rapha because you think everyone that wears Rapha is a tw4t then you my friend are also a tw4t.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Right...deep breath...

Do some of you seriously believe that Rapha will be kitting Sky out in merino cycling jerseys and skin suits? FFS they have an excellent Pro Team range that’s never been near a sheep and is just as good as the kit Sky currently wear in the peloton (seen both in the flesh and tbh the Pro kit is better). Rapha will be working with Sky in this area. Rapha will continue doing what they’ve always done in the ‘normal’ cycling range and no doubt this ‘off the bike’ stuff with fit into the Rapha/Paul Smith model. They’re not daft. They’re not about to pi$$ away what they’ve built up. They will no doubt produce a less technical range in the style of their Roubaix Challenge and Etape line which comes in at about £50 a jersey. So unlike Adidas, if you want to splash out, you really will be able to wear the actual kit that Sky wear or, if you don’t want to splash out you’ll be able to buy kit of the standard that Adidas currently sell to the fans.

And on a side note...

If you buy Rapha to be elite you’re a tw4t.
    If you don’t buy Rapha because you think everyone that wears Rapha is a tw4t then you my friend are also a tw4t.
    What if, like me, you think Rapha is the bloke who used to be manager of Liverpool?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ^ I see what you did there.
  • Crankbrother
    It's amazing the vitriol some people can build up just because they don't buy (or buy into) a company's products ...

If you are gonna spend (well that's an oxymoron, but still) time and effort getting upset about things you don't like for whatever reason maybe you should just stick your head in the oven (you're surely still using a gas oven as electric ovens will be for idiots) and get it over with ...

Just please, and I really can't ask this nicely enough, don't breed ... What with the cost of nappies, shoes, education (after all you won't be able to send your kids to school in black (gasp) blazer, you'll need to send them to a posh school whose colours are flouro yellow) It'd send you (and likely us if you're still keyboard warrioring away) over the edge ...