Sky and Rapha

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    It's a clever business model.

They obviously have good quality kit, make it look nice, and off the back of that core (which isn't especially overpriced compared to the rivals) sell an awful lot of overpriced stuff - like silk scarves for £50 and carbon fibre coffee patters or whatever they're called for £90. Don't have to sell too many of those to make some good money.

Indeed. A quick (and admittedly crude) look at their abbreviated accounts shows that their net assets increased from £906,380 to £2,065,073 and their cash holding increased from £177,165 to £614,307 in the financial year to 31 Jan '12. They would appear to be doing something right.

Well if Adidas are paying €700,000 per year they need to up their profit margin.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    One of the top 100 fastest growing companies in the UK.

Where did you get that info from Rick?

I would be very (though pleasantly) surprised if much of their clothing is made in the UK.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • inkyfingers
    Gazzaputt wrote:

They obviously have good quality kit, make it look nice, and off the back of that core (which isn't especially overpriced compared to the rivals) sell an awful lot of overpriced stuff - like silk scarves for £50 and carbon fibre coffee patters or whatever they're called for £90. Don't have to sell too many of those to make some good money.

Indeed. A quick (and admittedly crude) look at their abbreviated accounts shows that their net assets increased from £906,380 to £2,065,073 and their cash holding increased from £177,165 to £614,307 in the financial year to 31 Jan '12. They would appear to be doing something right.

Well if Adidas are paying €700,000 per year they need to up their profit margin.

If they keep going like they seem to be then pretty soon they'll probably need to start filing full accounts, including profit & loss.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    was in the Sunday Times top 100 fastest growing UK private companies for 2011.

They're looking for a designer, lawyer, and accountant btw.

Edit: and head of IT.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010

Exactly. Someone in the shoe business told me once that the real money is made in all of the polishes and protectors that they palm you off with at the point of sale when you buy your loafers.

Have't we all been palmed off with shoe polish at some point?
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    curium wrote:
    Where is Rapha kit made?

http://www.rapha.cc/made-in-china
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    One of the top 100 fastest growing companies in the UK.

It's a shame I have no retail experience really. The Dutch market is primed and ready.

Wilfred de Jong did his Paris-Roubaix documentary in full rapha kit - leather gloves and all, and he got so many comments asking what his kit was.

Similarly, every Dutch roadie I see riding outside of the Netherlands is riding about £5k worth of kit.

Primed I tell ya.

Advert:

Man 1: A good race by the winner and my what great kit he was wearing.

Man 2: Yes he wears "Chasey" the kit brand of the discerning cyclist

Man1 (with long shot to winner who is smoking a pipe and surrounded by burds): My, if only I could be like that..
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Career change opportunity for Frenchie - he can make sure the Raphaelites are dressed properly ;)
  • inkyfingers

Very interesting, I wonder how they measured "growth"?

Unfortunately I don't qualify for any of those roles, even if I did I doubt i'd pass the required cool test. In a previous job I did try and contact them about their print work, got nowhere. Rouleur has since been hived off as a seperate ltd co it would seem.

Just browsing their website and this made me laugh...
    Jersey Downsize offer

If you have purchased a jersey this year and lost weight through riding, Rapha would like to offer you a 50% discount on your new size jersey. Simply download, print, and complete the form below, then send it along with your old jersey back to Rapha. Rapha will then send you your new jersey with free delivery.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:

Career change opportunity for Frenchie - he can make sure the Raphaelites are dressed properly ;)

Great shout.

FF! F*ck sh!tty FI prop trading. Get designing!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Gazzaputt wrote:

This is what I keep coming back to in my mind. Unless Adidas have yanked their deal (perhaps cycling isn't providing the returns that they expected) I am surprised that anyone else has been able to "outbid" for the role of tech apparel partner. Unless Rapha is about to become part of the Adidas empire..................(there's plenty of other niche brands in there!!)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rick_chasey

Very interesting, I wonder how they measured "growth"?

Google is your friend Mr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Tim ... _Track_100
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Jersey Downsize offer

If you have purchased a jersey this year and lost weight through riding, Rapha would like to offer you a 50% discount on your new size jersey. Simply download, print, and complete the form below, then send it along with your old jersey back to Rapha. Rapha will then send you your new jersey with free delivery.

More companies should do this.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    curium wrote:
    Where is Rapha kit made?

Which is why buying replica Team kit from Chinese firms is nothing to worry about. Pretty much the same quality and at a fraction of the price.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Which is why buying replica Team kit from Chinese firms is nothing to worry about. Pretty much the same quality and at a fraction of the price.

And occasionally *cough* from the same factory as the 'original'.
  • frenchfighter
    That is a possibility and I would not condone it or buy it if I knew. However, replica anything in China is common place. They are superb at it. I even saw a document where people had done replicas of famous artwork and even seasoned pros struggled to tell the difference.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Jersey Downsize offer

More companies should do this.

Hang on, am I missing something here? You buy a new jersey at 50% off but have to send your old jersey back. Therefore you have paid 150% of the original jersey price but still have only one jersey!! No wonder they can afford to be Sky's new kit supplier - marketing genius to rip someone off and make them think they've got a great deal :lol:
  • was in the Sunday Times top 100 fastest growing UK private companies for 2011.

Ooh, where did it say they were looking for a lawyer? The other roles have been on the site, but can't see that one. Or do you know that from your recruitment contacts?
  • Pross
    curium wrote:
    Where is Rapha kit made?

My synopsis of that - we have some of our designs made up in China as the quality is as good as in the West whilst our costs are significantly less therefore maximising profit on our premium price goods. Don't worry about ethics, the Chinese are happy and we're good people honest ;)
  • inkyfingers
    That is a possibility and I would not condone it or buy it if I knew. However, replica anything in China is common place. They are superb at it. I even saw a document where people had done replicas of famous artwork and even seasoned pros struggled to tell the difference.

The difference is that if you buy through the mainstream channels they are likely to have had ethical audits and such like. If you buy copies then there is a fair chance that they were made in a factory that hasn't passed any form of audit. A lot of clothing manufacture has also moved from China to other south asian countries where wages and working conditions are often much worse.

I have to say I don't share your relaxed attitude to copyright theft for financial gain.
  • rick_chasey
    step-hent wrote:

Ooh, where did it say they were looking for a lawyer? The other roles have been on the site, but can't see that one. Or do you know that from your recruitment contacts?

Er, oh dear.
    Barista/trainee barista

Rapha has been creating the world’s finest cycling clothing and accessories since 2004. Designed without compromise for the most discerning riders, Rapha products blend classic style with optimum performance.

This summer, Rapha is opening its flagship London Cycle Club, a combined café and retail space just off Regent Street. We are looking for experienced or trainee baristas and front-of-house staff.

With both full- and part-time positions available, first and foremost we’re looking for people with bags of personality. You’ll need to be fun, hard-working but also thoroughly professional.

Training will be provided by baristas from the award-winning Espresso Room and this is a rare opportunity to acquire skills of the highest standard using cutting-edge equipment and the very finest ingredients.

To apply for this job, you will need demonstrate a genuine interest in culinary and coffee culture. An interest in cycling is preferable, although not absolutely necessary.

The cafe opens 19th July, so applicants will need to be available by that date.

I skim read that as "barrister" and figured they needed some law stuff.

hsmack.gif
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    ^^^ Amazing :D
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    That is quite funny Mr Moderator.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • inkyfingers
    edited August 2012
    Where's the dunce hat smilie Rick?

Or are starbucks now offering legal advice while you wait for somebody to toss off into your coffee?
  • rick_chasey
    dunce.gif
  • Ha. Brilliant. Bit gutted though!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    step-hent wrote:
    Ha. Brilliant. Bit gutted though!

me too. I was convinced of their need for a commercial property lawyer based in the middle of the Irish Sea. God Damn you Rapha!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • calmx5
    calmx5 Posts: 230
    I think this will signal the end of the Sample sales at Rapha though - they simply will be more of a manufacturing machine + it'll take a bit of the rapha-esque snobbery out of it. I think the reason adidas has lost the deal is cause they were too occupied with marketing olympic kit...
  • Rapha's OK, it's Burberry for bikes really. The image associated with this brand is a such a huge part of the rapid growth of the company, otherwise they'd be just another kit manufacturer.

As for Rapha wool jersys – presumably not being used for Sky – they're a bit like the modern form of a traditional "hairshirt", worn during moments of suffering as penance:

"In modern times the use of the hairshirt has been generally confined to the members of certain religious orders, but during the early ages of Christianity the use of hair-cloth became very common, not only amongst the ascetics and those who aspired to the life of perfection, but even amongst ordinary lay people in the world, who made it serve as an unostentatious antidote for the outward luxury and comfort of their lives. St. Jerome, for instance, mentions the hairshirt as being frequently worn under the rich and splendid robes of men in high worldly positions. Cassian, however, disapproved of it being used by monks, as if worn outside it was too conspicuous and savoured of vanity."
  • frenchfighter
    pina.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest