La Vuelta

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    And if Sky end up being the Millwall of the peloton, who cares? Let battle commence.

Make sure you watch the stage highlights tonight.

*hums theme tune to Toy Story

Ha!

Edit: It's a bloody good 'un.

Old skool in a very good way.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Well done on spoiler avoidance. :P
    That is all.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    daviesee wrote:
    Well done on spoiler avoidance. :P
    That is all.

Wowsers
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • daviesee
    OMG!

Not wanting to add a spoiler, but that is racing!

The Giro was very good, the TdF gave us something to cheer for but this is something special.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    daviesee wrote:
    OMG!

Not wanting to add a spoiler, but that is racing!

The Giro was very good, the TdF gave us something to cheer for but this is something special.

Mostly I'd have found you and killed you for using OMG! but this is the one occasion this century where OMG! is appropriate :shock:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I've finally got to watch it.

I've been a Contador fan since DAY!

That's how you go Rambo. None of this slow steady grind a mountain the 'Sky way'. Balls out, chest pumping, alpha male, devour the competition.

Next time I go up Wimbledon Hill, I'm gonna dance, I'm gonna dance!

Ahem!
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So no thread on the Vuelta, why?

I've watched two days worth, today and yesterday, and there has been more memorable action than the entire Tour de France '12. It's like being taken back to 90s races with the insane acceleration, drama and story. Only we know that everyone is clean.

Excellent race so far.
    I'm so hyped up right now.... And I have to drive the family to school/work tomorrow.... :x
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • I'm gonna bite

I'm gonna regret it and after all this time I should know better.

But
    DDD wrote:
    Only we know that everyone is clean

So you believe that the Vuelta is clean despite the fact that the top 2 riders are unrepentant dopers riding in their home tour - but will 'never believe' Armstrong doped.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    That's how you go Rambo.[/b] None of this slow steady grind a mountain the 'Sky way'. Balls out, chest pumping, alpha male, devour the competition.

Next time I go up Wimbledon Hill, I'm gonna dance, I'm gonna dance!

You don't appear to understand that the 'Sky way' is how you get a non climber to win a Grand Tour. Just because it is less spectacular doesn't mean that all Grand Tours should be artificially engineered to suit climbers (or specifically Spanish climbers in this particular case). But we owe Contador a debt for making this Vuelta really exciting even if he is powered by funny beef.

As for Wimbledon Hill - we all know that if you were ever faced with a real hill you'd burst into tears like a baby and cry in the corner :wink::lol:

And yes, Tailwindhome is probably right........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I missed AC's breakaway, so the highlights seemed fairly uninteresting.

This seems to go against the grain...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • daviesee
    Rolf F wrote:
    Mostly I'd have found you and killed you for using OMG! but this is the one occasion this century where OMG! is appropriate :shock:
    In my defence, it is the first and probably last, time that I used that. :wink:
  • cjcp wrote:

The break was before the TV coverage started.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

After seeing the comments on Twitter, too, I might be the only man on the planet who thought today was "meh".
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

After seeing the comments on Twitter, too, I might be the only man on the planet who thought today was "meh".

Gosh! I hope you are. You don't think taking 2:30 off the GC leader with only limited assistance is impressive?
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Gosh! I hope you are. You don't think taking 2:30 off the GC leader with only limited assistance is impressive?

Heh heh.

It might be that the highlights didn't convey the excitement very well, but it might also be that I'm not very keen on either rider, esp. Valverde. But I'm also a cynic.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Indeed and one has to wonder if Contador has had steak recently!
  • rick_chasey
    And if Sky end up being the Millwall of the peloton, who cares? Let battle commence.

Presumably this makes a bit more sense now ;).

Unless the highlights missed that bit out.
  • That was pretty special. Hats off to Contador for seizing the opportunity and catching his opponents napping.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Couldn't help feel a little sorry for Purito, until I found out he didn't ride his bike on the rest day.. Surely this is basic stuff for all grand tour contenders?

I am undecided about Contador but I couldn't help but cheer him on last night, although the thought of Valverde winning the stage may have contributed slightly. It was quite a gutsy move and it paid off. He also seems far less invincible than the Astana years which makes the whole thing that little more believable..

Having avoided twitter all day watching the highlights were quite exciting for me and I have to say the coverage on ITV4 has been great.
  • daviesee
    My take:-

There were other riders up front so it is less about Contador and Valverde blowing everybody out, the main event was Rodriguez (and Froome) blowing out after the rest day.
    It's a different universe, far less league, but indulge me. In previous years, following our weeks cycling in Mallorca everybody rests for a couple of days and pretty much everybody suffers illness and/or a dip in form. I conclude that after a week of punishment the body shuts down when it gets the chance. This year my wife joined me for the second week so I could get out for shorter, easier runs and felt fine.
    By all accounts, Rodriguez spent the rest day in bed whereas Contador and Valverde went out to keep the legs moving. I think yesterday was all about some riders maintaining form while others suffered fatigue.
  • cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I didn't get too excited watching it. It really does spoil it when you know what happens

However productivity was at an all time low yesterday as I was following the Pro Race spoiler thread and the Cycling News ticker.

Presumably this makes a bit more sense now ;).

Unless the highlights missed that bit out.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/05/2 ... CZ20110527

What goes around comes around
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Having avoided twitter all day watching the highlights were quite exciting for me and I have to say the coverage on ITV4 has been great.

For once, the commentary on ITV4 left something to be desired in comparison to Eurosport (for the relative newcomer to the sport at least). For example, when Tiralongo took his turn on the front someone made the comment that he was trying to get away and Contador would not like that, which was obviously stupid!
  • vermin wrote:

For once, the commentary on ITV4 left something to be desired in comparison to Eurosport (for the relative newcomer to the sport at least). For example, when Tiralongo took his turn on the front someone made the comment that he was trying to get away and Contador would not like that, which was obviously stupid!

He did gap Contador which I thought was odd. Eurosport will always have the edge but compared to Phil and Paul? There is no contest.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I'm with CJ, couldn't get as excited about it as many on here, mainly due to the protagonists. Have been going over it in my head and have concluded that there was probably nothing "extra-terrestrial" about the performances (although the time gaps were pretty huge for that kind of stage), its just with Contador and Valverde involved its difficult not to be a bit cynical. Regardless of yesterday's performances, its sad to see two returning cheats riding away from the other contenders and occupying the top two steps on the podium.

As for the comments suggesting Prudhomme should be copying the Vuelta model for a more exciting tour de France, I would suggest there are good reasons why the two races have taken such a different approach in recent years. Regardless of where you stand on Contador and Valverde (the neck would be my preference), surely you can see that a parcours like this year's Vuelta will always favour a doped athlete and is unlikely to encourage clean racing?
  • rick_chasey
    BigMat wrote:
    I'm with CJ, couldn't get as excited about it as many on here, mainly due to the protagonists. Have been going over it in my head and have concluded that there was probably nothing "extra-terrestrial" about the performances (although the time gaps were pretty huge for that kind of stage), its just with Contador and Valverde involved its difficult not to be a bit cynical. Regardless of yesterday's performances, its sad to see two returning cheats riding away from the other contenders and occupying the top two steps on the podium.

As for the comments suggesting Prudhomme should be copying the Vuelta model for a more exciting tour de France, I would suggest there are good reasons why the two races have taken such a different approach in recent years. Regardless of where you stand on Contador and Valverde (the neck would be my preference), surely you can see that a parcours like this year's Vuelta will always favour a doped athlete and is unlikely to encourage clean racing?

Shouldn't have bothered watching this Vuelta then if you think that. It was always going to be between those three Spaniards.

Contador and Valverde would have been doing the same as now at the Tour had they been free of doping bans (albeit with less dramatic results since this year's Tour parcours was dogsh!t).
  • bigmat
    BigMat wrote:

Shouldn't have bothered watching this Vuelta then if you think that. It was always going to be between those three Spaniards.

Contador and Valverde would have been doing the same as now at the Tour had they been free of doping bans (albeit with less dramatic results since this year's Tour parcours was dogsh!t).

Valverde's best tour finish being what, exactly? Anyway I'm not making any accusations here, just saying that its sad to see returning dopers putting the peloton to the sword, and this type of parcours whilst making for exciting viewing is likely to encourage doping / reward those who dope. Just my opinions though.
  • rick_chasey
    BigMat wrote:
    this type of parcours whilst making for exciting viewing is likely to encourage doping / reward those who dope. Just my opinions though.

Always though this is bull.

You dope to win/do better, regardless of the parcours.

Never heard an ex doper say "the parcour was too hard, I had to dope" but always "I thought everyone else was doing it - I wanted to win/be faster etc."
  • How pure is Purito? Was he suffering a dopers bad day?

I enjoyed yesterday's stage, but it's tough not to be cyclical. I also agree with Matt's point re this year's Vuelta encouraging doping. RC - the Tour's parcours this year was not sh!t at all. It was pretty well balanced and built for an all rounder - which IMHO is how it should be.
  • rick_chasey
    How pure is Purito? Was he suffering a dopers bad day?

I enjoyed yesterday's stage, but it's tough not to be cyclical. I also agree with Matt's point re this year's Vuelta encouraging doping. RC - the Tour's parcours this year was not sh!t at all. It was pretty well balanced and built for an all rounder - which IMHO is how it should be.

You won't enjoy 2013's Tour parcours then!

J Rod always has a bad day in a 3 weeker. This GT is no exception.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I should know better.

Sometimes I just say stuff for effect you know? Sometimes I say stuff because it gets the grumble bums all uppity. You are not a grumble bum, you're better than that.

Rolf wrote:
    You don't appear to understand that the 'Sky way' is how you get a non climber to win a Grand Tour.
    Actually I do understand that, and when I climb my 'mountains' I find it more manageable than repeated bursts of pedal dancing. HOWEVER, as a spectator the 'Sky way' is boring and that is the perspective I am talking from.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bigmat
    BigMat wrote:
    this type of parcours whilst making for exciting viewing is likely to encourage doping / reward those who dope. Just my opinions though.

Always though this is bull.

You dope to win/do better, regardless of the parcours.

Never heard an ex doper say "the parcour was too hard, I had to dope" but always "I thought everyone else was doing it - I wanted to win/be faster etc."

I'm not sure its bull. But I guess not so black and white. I've heard many comments over the years suggesting that where a parcours is particularly tough, the teams almost see it as a necessary evil to bend the rules to assist riders in raising haematocrit back to natural levels / rebalancing hormones etc. Also, the type of riders who you could imagine doing well at this Vuelta over the past few years would read like a who's who of doping (I imagine Ricco, Pantani and, erm, Contador would love it). Saying that you could arguably say the same about any parcours :lol:

Re this year's Tour, agree it was a bit TT heavy / lacking in MTF's. The balance should be somewhere in the middle though, I think this Vuelta has got it wrong and its all gone a bit WWF.