La Vuelta

Comments

• Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    gabriel959 wrote:
    They should be if they aren't. I repeat it is a race, not a cyclo-sportive, not a sunday club run.

What are you talking about?! The nature of 'racing' is that there are often long periods of truce - over the years the Vuelta more than any GT has been about long periods of taking it easy!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Like today:

First hour of racing: 30.7km/h. 11'55" gap for one rider at 41km.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Paulie W wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    They should be if they aren't. I repeat it is a race, not a cyclo-sportive, not a sunday club run.

What are you talking about?! The nature of 'racing' is that there are often long periods of truce - over the years the Vuelta more than any GT has been about long periods of taking it easy!

The pace might be pedestrian, it is still a race.

I am talking about what most pro's are saying too.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • gabriel959
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

They should be if they aren't. I repeat it is a race, not a cyclo-sportive, not a sunday club run. Same for the tacks in the Tour.

The excuses from Sky are pathetic as well. Almost as bad as Valverde's.
    You must have hated watching the track sprinting at the Olympics. ;)

Why is that? I only watched some of it because god oh god track cycling is dull.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    gabriel959 wrote:

Why is that? I only watched some of it because god oh god track cycling is dull.
    I mean that for the first couple of minutes of the sprint, they hardly move at all. ;)
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • gabriel959
    In any case, Valv.Piti didn't need any help to crash, he has got a master degree in the discipline, 3 crashes this year. What a tool.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959
    Gizmo_ wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

I mean that for the first couple of minutes of the sprint, they hardly move at all. ;)

Racing isn't all about speed :)

Unless you are a sky robot of course :D
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    gabriel959 wrote:
    They should be if they aren't. I repeat it is a race, not a cyclo-sportive, not a sunday club run. Same for the tacks in the Tour.

OK then - but take it to its logical conclusion. What happens when someone gets a puncture? They stop, wait for the team car, get a new wheel and pace back to the peloton with help from other riders and team cars.

1) If the peloton are going flat out a couple of riders will never catch them
    2) If it is purely about the racing, as in motor racing, then you will absolutely disqualify anyone from any team car assistance.

So, one puncture or any mechanical and you are out of the race; and what are the odds on that happening over 2000plus miles. You'd just end up with everyone riding on their own. Solution - put everyone on Schwalbe Marathon Plus and hub gears. Personally, that's not a solution I want. As many riders have said - It's not about the bike. Grand Prix motor racing is about the cars and drivers. The soft rules that let cyclists back into the race where appropriate are there because it makes it more interesting.
    gabriel959 wrote:

That's because you don't understand it and I don't think you understand road racing either!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gabriel959
    Rolf F wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:

OK then - but take it to its logical conclusion. What happens when someone gets a puncture? They stop, wait for the team car, get a new wheel and pace back to the peloton with help from other riders and team cars.

1) If the peloton are going flat out a couple of riders will never catch them
    2) If it is purely about the racing, as in motor racing, then you will absolutely disqualify anyone from any team car assistance.

So, one puncture or any mechanical and you are out of the race; and what are the odds on that happening over 2000plus miles. You'd just end up with everyone riding on their own. Solution - put everyone on Schwalbe Marathon Plus and hub gears. Personally, that's not a solution I want. As many riders have said - It's not about the bike. Grand Prix motor racing is about the cars and drivers. The soft rules that let cyclists back into the race where appropriate are there because it makes it more interesting.
    gabriel959 wrote:

That's because you don't understand it and I don't think you understand road racing either!

I am being logical, it is you who aren't with a silly story about Marathon Plus and hub gears.

Racing is not only about going fast, although many here seem to think it is. These things happen all the time, punctures, crashes, they can happen to anyone at any moment. I don't think a rider should stop the race just because someone has crashed, or has had a puncture because some idiot spread tacks on the road. What happens in an individual TT if the leader has a puncture, should everyone stop? Or if a moose crosses the road and crashes against the leader? Is it ok to attack during a feeding zone? Who decides? Best thing is to race it and don't wait. I think Sky did the right thing but put a lame excuse. Car's shouldn't help riders get back to the peloton, it is illegal. If other riders want to help that is their choice, but if they are from the same team, why not? Most of the time these incidents happen in areas were no-one is going that fast so it isn't as difficult to get back on, what happened yesterday it is unfortunate (or fortunate depends how you feel about ValvPiti) but it happens, the race shouldn't stop though.

Most ex-pros say similar things anyway, so I would say it is you the one who doesn't understand a thing about bicycle racing.

Regarding track cycling, I find it dull - it doesn't mean it has to be dull for everyone though.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • gabriel959
    Rolf F wrote:
    Otherwise - Contador looking rather less self assured than before but understandable, lots of mountains which is a relief as, lets be honest, away from the mountains Spain is mostly a bit of an ugly barren dump compared to France and a truly terrible lifeless commentary (he'd make Olympic womens mud wrestling less interesting to watch than a test card - he's like the opposite of a V1 rocket; you're grateful when the drone stops). But at least if you lose a day, you've only got an extra hour rather than four to watch :lol:

Menuda sarta de gilipolleces by the way. :wink:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • rolf_f
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I am being logical, it is you who aren't with a silly story about Marathon Plus and hub gears.

Racing is not only about going fast, although many here seem to think it is. These things happen all the time, punctures, crashes, they can happen to anyone at any moment. I don't think a rider should stop the race just because someone has crashed, or has had a puncture because some idiot spread tacks on the road. What happens in an individual TT if the leader has a puncture, should everyone stop? Or if a moose crosses the road and crashes against the leader? Is it ok to attack during a feeding zone? Who decides? Best thing is to race it and don't wait. I think Sky did the right thing but put a lame excuse. Car's shouldn't help riders get back to the peloton, it is illegal. If other riders want to help that is their choice, but if they are from the same team, why not? Most of the time these incidents happen in areas were no-one is going that fast so it isn't as difficult to get back on, what happened yesterday it is unfortunate (or fortunate depends how you feel about ValvPiti) but it happens, the race shouldn't stop though.

Most ex-pros say similar things anyway, so I would say it is you the one who doesn't understand a thing about bicycle racing.

Regarding track cycling, I find it dull - it doesn't mean it has to be dull for everyone though.

Look at it this way. Imagine a pan flat stage race. No breakaways because everyone is racing all the time (and a breakaway is only going to escape the peloton if it is allowed to - ie if the peloton chooses not to race it). Ultimately then, the outcome is going to be solely down to the last couple of kilometers or so. None of the preceding 150 miles or whatever has contributed to the race whatsoever. On that basis, you might as well not even bother with the rest of the stage but, in reality, the allowance of a breakaway, the possibility it won't get caught and the contrivances of the sprint points keep the interest up. But, as far as the peloton is concerned, they are just cruising and for most of them at no point does this change. In this stage, intermediate sprints aside, the only people who will be racing at all are the sprinters and their lead outs. Any of those could puncture at any point and if the peloton was going flat out (ie racing) they would therefore be out of that stage. It would be proper racing but it would be pretty boring. We don't want F1 do we?

And please translate the Spanish as my work browser is too out of date to work any translators :lol:

I don't think the Marathon comment is that silly though. Ultimately, if a puncture takes you out of the race then you'll have to determine what tyres guarantee you no punctures. It wouldn't be Marathons as they are a bit ridiculous but they would be a lot heavier than the ones currently used. The hub gears comment was very silly! :lol:
  • gabriel959
    you know what it said on that spanish bit - it wouldn't let me put it here, it would star it out ;) But the point remains.

I can see your point but I think you make this analogy, which I don't - going flat out = racing

I think if you fall and they aren't going fast you can consider yourself lucky that you will not spend a lot of energy catching up.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Gizmo_
    Getting to the finish line first = racing.

Getting to the finish line in the shortest possible time = time trial.

Getting to the finish line at all: riding.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I didn't expect that.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    vermin wrote:
    I didn't expect that.

All bets are still off till week 3 I suspect....
  • gabriel959
    I personally thought his attacks on day 3 were a sign of desperation. His cramp excuses sounded like poor ones to me as well. I reckon he will lose some more time on the TT as well.

The african boy with the incurable illness should run away with this, unless J.Rod is on the same magic potion as team sky.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Gizmo_
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I personally thought his attacks on day 3 were a sign of desperation. His cramp excuses sounded like poor ones to me as well. I reckon he will lose some more time on the TT as well.

The african boy with the incurable illness should run away with this, unless J.Rod is on the same magic potion as team sky.
    I hope he doesn't run anywhere. Have you seen the size of his legs? I've seen fatter pondskaters.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Thread resurrection.

I take it now that Froome is burst, nobody is interested?

Personally, I think it is a great race as I watch it for the racing, not as a fan boy.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rolf_f
    daviesee wrote:
    Thread resurrection.

I take it now that Froome is burst, nobody is interested?

Personally, I think it is a great race as I watch it for the racing, not as a fan boy.

I'm still enjoying it. Scenery much improved and Contadors desperate (but hopefully hopeless) attempts to destroy Rodriguez are fun to watch.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Rolf F wrote:
    Scenery much improved and Contadors desperate (but hopefully hopeless) attempts to destroy Rodriguez are fun to watch.
    I love the way Spain looks. Always have.

Contador and Rodriguez's is turning out to be a right proper personal battle. Love it. Brilliant race.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • vermin
    Absolutely glued to it. The Purito and Berty show is making for fabulous entertainment. Froome has been incredible, considering the season he has already had.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Good racing, should come with a health warning though (possibly).
  • rolf_f
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Scenery much improved and Contadors desperate (but hopefully hopeless) attempts to destroy Rodriguez are fun to watch.
    I love the way Spain looks. Always have.

It's the flat, dreary plains with the half dead looking vegetation that I don't like. I've only really experienced it in the southern half of Majorca but it's grim!
  • vermin
    BigMat wrote:
    health warning

Naturally (unnaturally), but I'll worry about that after I've enjoyed some spectacular bike racing.
  • gabriel959
    BigMat wrote:
    Good racing, should come with a health warning though (possibly).

It should always be the case, even when the British guy is winning. :wink:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Stage 16: absolutely epic! That's all.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Hopefully Prudhomme is watching.
    Basing next years TdF on the Vuelta may not help Brad to retain the title but the racing is much superior.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    OMG - not much work gonna be done in the next hour
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • vermin
    JonGinge wrote:
    OMG - not much work gonna be done in the next hour

Trudat. Super stuff.
  • And if Sky end up being the Millwall of the peloton, who cares? Let battle commence.

Make sure you watch the stage highlights tonight.

*hums theme tune to Toy Story
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!