Canyon Ultimate CF SLX thread

12346»

Comments

• Got a 2012 slx and wondering what do people think of the gear ratios?

Finding the 11 28 lacks mid range cruising, want a extra gear to use with the big chainring but have to shift down to middle chainring then shift up a couple of gears to find" that missing gear"
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Are you running a double or compact?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Believe its compact
    Gearing is 34 front

If I'm bombing it's fine but nice steady cruising around 20mph is harder than should be, I'm having to use big ring with the 3rd cassette ring from left (forgot what gear that is)

I'm sure I shouldn't be going that high up cassette when in big ring :-\ , wish there was a extra gear to use

Hope that makes sense Lol
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    Had a quick little communique with Canyon about chain ring sizes available yesterday and thought I'd share it in case anyone had similar questions. Basically I only found out that the Standard Double Dura Ace chainset was available to buy in three configurations and emailed them to find out if these were an option or was it only the double (53-39) or compact crank set that they offered. It turns out that the latter is the case and they don't provide the other configurations. They did mention that all the DA chainrings are interchangeable in 9000 which could be handy in the future, although I've yet to come across anywhere online that sells these.

Also I only found out recently that Canyon do a nifty chain catcher that fits onto the bottle cage bolts on the seat tube so I added that to my order.

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case anyone had the same question in future. Any news on anyone out there getting delivery anytime soon? Also anyone come across any fulls reviews of the 2013 SLX online, have only seen articles on test rides etc.
  • porlyworly
    porlyworly Posts: 441
    Seriously considering one of these but as usual the sizing is a conundrum! I'm 6"1 and currently on a 58cm Genesis Equilibrium 20 which fits well, tried the online size calculator on canyons site but asked for measurements I don't have to hand so will get the missus to measure me up tonight (fnar fnar)
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • oceheb
    oceheb Posts: 124
    edited March 2013
    Another Canyon CF out of the box :) Size 56. This is cheapeast model 7, which comes with 105 groupset. Waiting for white Look pedals. The color is 'team'.
    img8210n.jpg
  • Oooh nice!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Very nice oceheb, what size?
    Cheers, Stu
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Very nice, and I know it's not a rule, but can people state the size frame of the bike if they're posting pictures of it?

Other than that, lovely bike. A little confusion online however as the website states that the white canyon is actually the black one. Odd, I know
  • Gabbo
    I've ordered the CF Ulitmate 9.0 Pro. Why? Because it comes with the beautiful Campagnolo Chorus and comes with Ksyrium Elite wheelset. The price is a little steep at £2200 but I couldn't really afford the £800 more expensive SLX with the Dura Ace. The DA is probably better bang for buck but £800 is a lot of money, and I'm sure I'll be pretty content with the CF and Chorus so lets hope I've made a good decision.

Anyone think otherwise?
  • oceheb
    Sorry, Size 56, for height 177, insteam 84.

Actually I wanted black, when I relaized that white is black :), canyon has managed to ship the order already. Im ok with white bikes, what I didnt like is amount of canyon.com logos all over the place. Whe the bike has arrived, it didt look that bad, so Im keeping the white. There is 2 weeks of queue for blacks.
  • Gabbo
    What the f*ck is up with their colour listing though? White is white, and black is black. Why is there need to overcomplicate simple things like this. Anyone could easily be mistaken, like you for example. I've ordered the white frame, which means I'll receive the black frame (the one I want).
  • oceheb
    Little issue here: cannot unscrew the water cage bolt, it turns together with base inside the frame which has only about 1 mm height so cannot hold it with any tools a have. All other 3 bolts are fine, any suggestions?
  • just did a tt event on the slx, couple of things.

It really is fast accelerating and very stable at high speeds.
    Also it climbs like a mountain goat, like its very impressive.

One issue is that the gearing ratios arent great for flowing courses, more suited to hilly ones
  • Gabbo

I'm 185 cm tall and 34" inseam so very slightly smaller than you. They strongly recommended a 58 but said if I was racing then I could probably get away with a 56.

And it doesn't seem high at the front, although the headset design means you can't slam it down but you can still get a reasonably aggressive position.

Here's a pic of mine if it helps you to see the set up.

photo-4_zpsfd94d02e.jpg

And here is a picture of mine (Sorry for the poor photo quality - I'm lacking in a proper camera)

3531nnl.jpg
  • oceheb
    edited April 2013
    Nice bike! Congrats!
    Check you can uncrew the water cage bolts, mine is going back to factory for this reason (sad)
  • Gabbo
    Thanks, I'll check that shortly. Must be an absolute pain for you though, having to ship off the bike back to Germany. That's the inconvenience when buying with Canyon, though. How long will the repair take?

My bike is a size 58 (L) and comes with the Campagnolo Chorus 11 groupset. Really happy with how it looks, now I'm just hoping that it'll perform equally as well.
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    Gabbo wrote:
    Thanks, I'll check that shortly. Must be an absolute pain for you though, having to ship off the bike back to Germany. That's the inconvenience when buying with Canyon, though. How long will the repair take?

My bike is a size 58 (L) and comes with the Campagnolo Chorus 11 groupset. Really happy with how it looks, now I'm just hoping that it'll perform equally as well.

I've put in a few hundred miles on mine now and every time I take it out I have a smile on my face.

I always feel like my effort is rewarded - fast on the flat and descents, handles well, makes climbing significantly easier. Average speeds are rising rapidly, I load up Strava and I've got PR's all over the place.

Took me two or three rides to get used to what the bike is able to do and initially I didn't see much improvement, but that's all changed now.

Am sure the improvements will plateau soon as a new bike isn't going to give me Cancellara's legs, but at the moment it's giving me loads of motivation to get out and clock up the miles.
  • oceheb
    Certainly the bike has racing DNA, started chasing people and beating KOMs :)
    Going the miss the pleasure of the ride, but still got mtb, swimming and running to do, which is good :)
  • Gabbo
    Not sure about you bobbydazler, but my stem is 120mm. I didn't enter my measurements nor did I request a longer stem. I would have thought that a 100-110mm stem would've been standard with a 56.5cm top tube. Quite a reach as a result but feel lower down
  • n1ckster
    n1ckster Posts: 158
    Can I ask if any of the SLX owners out there have experienced their seat post slipping during the course of a ride?

I have a 2012 slx 9 pro and my post has been slipping up to 1.5cm over the course of an 80km ride and slipping slightly less during a 10mile TT.

The seat post collar has been torqued up as per, and the seat post and the inside of the seat tube is free of dirt or grease.

Thanks in advance

Nick
  • I did have some slippage on my slx,but after it "wears" in and gets dirty it actually sticks more.
    Creates more friction rather than a nice new slippy one.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    n1ckster wrote:
    Can I ask if any of the SLX owners out there have experienced their seat post slipping during the course of a ride?

I have a 2012 slx 9 pro and my post has been slipping up to 1.5cm over the course of an 80km ride and slipping slightly less during a 10mile TT.

The seat post collar has been torqued up as per, and the seat post and the inside of the seat tube is free of dirt or grease.

Thanks in advance

Nick

it's a common issue, not restricted to Canyon

buy some carbon assembly paste, this usually does the trick
  • ace2
    ace2 Posts: 1
    Anyone tried 28mm tyres with the SLX? Do they fit?
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    n1ckster wrote:

Thanks in advance

Nick

Try carbon paste? Useful for slippage
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    I think I will try the carbon paste method.

I had to ride my friends new bike back and the seatpost slipped 2cm. I looked like a BMX rider. Felt so silly.
    Luckily passed a LBS and asked them to retighten to the right height. (maybe because I weigh more than him)

Apart from that, the bike is very quick. SRAM gear shifting is lovely and intuitive. However the bike being so light whenever it was a heavy wind I could feel the bike move over more compared to my bike. I weigh 82kg. My mate weights 65kg. Good luck to him during the winter time :D
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    mlgt wrote:
    I think I will try the carbon paste method.

I had to ride my friends new bike back and the seatpost slipped 2cm. I looked like a BMX rider. Felt so silly.
    Luckily passed a LBS and asked them to retighten to the right height. (maybe because I weigh more than him)

Apart from that, the bike is very quick. SRAM gear shifting is lovely and intuitive. However the bike being so light whenever it was a heavy wind I could feel the bike move over more compared to my bike. I weigh 82kg. My mate weights 65kg. Good luck to him during the winter time :D
    What seatpost are you using? VCLS or VCLS 2.0?
    At 82kg you may not be able to cure the issue if it's the VCLS 2.0
    Mine slipped dramatically my early rides despite careful installation to max torque (with assembly paste). Canyon say the VCLS 2.0 won't clamp reliably for riders over 80kg (I'm about 86kg).
    They swapped mine for a VCLS, no argument.
  • They have confirmed not just 80KG + It been happening to riders as light as 70KG according Canyon UK I spoke to them 2 days ago. I made a thread of it somewhere but didn't get much interest.
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    My friend has the original VCLS and I have just ordered the Endurace with the VCLS 2.0.

Im currently 81kg and losing the weight. Hence the gamble with the newer seat post. My friend has the assembly paste from the Canyon, or should there another brand I should buy in anticipation for my new bike?

I can still reply to Canyon as I only ordered the bike 3 days ago.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0