Canyon Ultimate CF SLX thread

Comments

• stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    giant man wrote:
    Looking good for me too, the new ones are rather lovely aren't they, so much nicer looking than the 2013 Cervelo graphics too. Funny how the 8.0ES seems to be the only one in the SLX range to get the rather sexy looking new VCLS 2.0 seatpost, although it could (or should) be an option when purchasing any one, no?

Canyon have confirmed that the new seat post will work on older vcls models. I picked up an SLX 8 3 weeks back and it's a great bike for the money. Thought about waiting for the new model as it was publicised at the time and I fancied internal cables, but couldn't resist the sales price on offer. Delighted with the bike, the value for money is incredible, I would dive in whilst they are still selling.
  • Skeets
    Skeets Posts: 81
    I was after a new carbon bike just before I rode land's end to j'ogroats June 2012 . After a long debate between rose & canyon I went for the canyon cf slx 8 . It arrived 3 days before my trip, ( close one! ) fitted some cosmic carbones on and the 6 solo days that I did the trip in , I never had a flat tyre , ( conti 4000s which came with the bike ) slipped a gear and the light weight of the bike really helped me up the hills . After that, a few sportive 100 mile rides I could play around on with it's nimble handling and responsive out the saddle efforts showed it's pedigree too . .... Well worth the money .
  • I am so torn between getting the slx 8 2012 now for £2100 or waiting for the 2013 slx 7... Have the cash burning a hole in my lycra...
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Dogman414 wrote:
    I am so torn between getting the slx 8 2012 now for £2100 or waiting for the 2013 slx 7... Have the cash burning a hole in my lycra...

Could be a long wait for the 2013 bike
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Dogman414 wrote:
    I am so torn between getting the slx 8 2012 now for £2100 or waiting for the 2013 slx 7... Have the cash burning a hole in my lycra...

Could be a long wait for the 2013 bike

And that's my trouble... while i am happy to wait by the time I know the price/spec/delivery of the 2013 bike the last 2012 ones will have gone.

My head says wait for the 2013 with ultegra - I'm not a pro that needs dura ace...

My heart says that 2012 bike is a bargain!
  • My head says wait for the 2013 with ultegra - I'm not a pro that needs dura ace...

My heart says that 2012 bike is a bargain!

Arguably the 2012 Ultimate CF 9.0 with Ultegra at £1599 might be an even better option!
  • Arguably the 2012 Ultimate CF 9.0 with Ultegra at £1599 might be an even better option!

Only the very largest frame available now. So you'd have to wait for next years "ultimate CF" anyway
  • Yep - checked that last week, no ult cf left in my size. Do want the slx frame as well...
  • ShutUpLegs
    Dogman414 wrote:
    Yep - checked that last week, no ult cf left in my size. Do want the slx frame as well...

Keep an eye out or email them and ask if they will be selling off the Katusha team frames at the end of the season.
    I bought one of the Omega Pharma-Lotto frames last year.
  • stan1000 wrote:
    Only the very largest frame available now. So you'd have to wait for next years "ultimate CF" anyway

Ah. They have my size (52) in the double (which is the one I want) but I haven't quite pulled the trigger yet. It looks like next year's 9.0 model has the Ksyrium Elites instead of the Equipes. I wonder whether the price will jump much above the current price of £1679.
  • I emailed them to find out when the 2013 will be on the site with prices and specs. They expect it to be end of September...
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Dogman414 wrote:
    Yep - checked that last week, no ult cf left in my size. Do want the slx frame as well...

Keep an eye out or email them and ask if they will be selling off the Katusha team frames at the end of the season.

Now that is a good idea... Did you get just a frame or a complete Team spec bike?
  • ShutUpLegs
    Dogman414 wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Dogman414 wrote:

Now that is a good idea... Did you get just a frame or a complete Team spec bike?

Frame & forks
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    oh dear

looks like my house extension just got postponed again :)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The biggest disappointment for me in the 2013 CF SLX line up is the geometry change from 52, 54, 56, 58 etc. to S, M, L, XL, etc. Why they couldn't keep it the same as this year I don't know ....
  • Crozza
    giant man wrote:
    The biggest disappointment for me in the 2013 CF SLX line up is the geometry change from 52, 54, 56, 58 etc. to S, M, L, XL, etc. Why they couldn't keep it the same as this year I don't know ....

I am the opposite - the "old" geometry seemed to have short top tubes/tall head tubes. as someone with short legs and a long torso, I think the move to the new geometry will suit me better - as I understand it the new geo will be the same as the existing Ultimate AL?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Well that is strange because I too have a longer torso and shorter legs, the 'every 2cm' sizing suits me better
  • Sanjay
    Sanjay Posts: 108
    Quick questions on the payment options on their website.

I'm looking to blow my insurance payout for my recently stolen bikes on a 9.0 SL however my credit limit on my credit card doesn't stretch to £3,000. Can you pay by debit card another way, PayPal etc? Would their be any risk paying via debit card rather than credit card in this case?
  • Sanjay wrote:
    Quick questions on the payment options on their website.

I'm looking to blow my insurance payout for my recently stolen bikes on a 9.0 SL however my credit limit on my credit card doesn't stretch to £3,000. Can you pay by debit card another way, PayPal etc? Would their be any risk paying via debit card rather than credit card in this case?

I think you can pay by bank transfer as well but probably best to check with the Canyon UK people.
  • Sanjay
    I ordered the 9.0SL yesterday and managed to pay via debit card through their website. Should be with me next week, now I just need to try and wait patiently!
  • Crozza
    http://road.cc/content/news/65896-eurob ... ate-cf-slx

Back to the bike itself… we reviewed the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 last year and found it to be remarkably efficient, precise, and very responsive. Our initial ride suggests that this updated version scores more highly on all of those fronts.

8)
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Did the Maratona and both Etapes this year on a Canyon SLX, so spent far too long in the saddle. If the next model is going to be comfier (and lighter, stiffer etc), its going to be a heck of a frame.
  • Sanjay
    Has anyone fitted a set of Crud Roadracers to the SLX frame? I've had problems putting them on previous bikes...
  • Sanjay
    My SLX 9.0SL turned up today, exactly a week after I ordered it. I've just put it all together and absolutely love the look of it and can't quite get over how light it is! I went for a 54 size frame and it seems the correct size so far having gone off the Canyon website. An appalling amount of money to spend on a bike but it feels like I've got something quite special to play with now. I can't wait to get riding on it properly and start getting the legs to do the machine justice!
  • The white SLX with the R-sys wheels does make me have a little sex wee :)

Currently its £2700 ish which is amazing value and im tempted even though its a bit over my budget. I cant afford to jump to £3k which is at least how much the 2013 model is going to be assuming the prices are loosely the same. So its either 2012 with better kit or the 2013 with less kit to keep on budget but with the shiny new frame. Choices choices!

Cant believe i might have to slum it with Dura Ace and Kysrium Elite wheels - life is harsh!! :lol:
  • Sanjay wrote:
    Has anyone fitted a set of Crud Roadracers to the SLX frame? I've had problems putting them on previous bikes...

I have Ultimate CF SLX and a Scott CR1. The clearance on the CR1 is considerably less than the SLX and Crud Roadracers are running fine on the CR1.

Personally I wouldn't dream of putting mudguards on my SLX.
  • Sanjay
    Haha, I thought someone might say that! I promise to take them off as soon as the weather improves!
  • bickers
    bickers Posts: 68
    Canyon website down for maintenance this evening - could mean they are about to put the 2013 bikes and prices up :)

Perfectly timed with me getting the promotion and pay rise I needed to appease She Who Must Be Obeyed to allow me to buy one ! :):):)

Of course it could just be broken :)
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    Up and running, but taking forever to load. Apparently March delivery dates.