Canyon Ultimate CF SLX thread

Comments

• ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    ok, how do they deliver the bike? flat packed and you have to assemble them or take it down to london and get it assembled? and also where is this outlet store? been eyeing the SLX 9 SRAM one
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • As bickers said, it comes in a bike box, all you need to do is unpack it, attach the wheels, seatpost / saddle and the stem to the steerer. thats it. then just adjust to suit. takes longer to unpack than it does to assemble!
  • ricky1980
    They have a London number for their uk service centre, does that mean I can call them go down and see which size fits me?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I doubt that very much mate, it's just a telephone service, not very knowlegeable or helpful imo
  • ricky1980
    so either use the program or go to germany?
  • Or find someone nearby who can let you have s sit on there's. To be fair the fit programme was pretty good and there's enough information on the site to make an educated guess on what would fit best.
  • bickers
    bickers Posts: 68
    And you get 30 days to return it if it's not right.
  • Finally got out on my SLX for its first ride - not the smoothest of starts, got a puncture about 100yards from my front door!!! Nice cut in the tyre too. And to compound it, as i was only local i didnt take a tube, only patches and gas, and i must have knocked the patch off putting the tube in as it went down as soon as filled it. Luckily i had two gas cans!! Ironic that i had ordered winter tyres 10 mins before going out!!

As for the bike after that, wow light and day difference! I havent ridden any expensives bike so my reference is a Trek 2.1 Alu frame shim 105. This is sooooo much smoother at taking the bumps out of the road and rolls so much better. I didnt get to many hills on my lunch time spin but feels very nimble.

The campag gears need a little tune and its taking some adjustment on the shifters, keep trying to wang the brake level to go down but the up paddle is very good, it felt weird on the turbo but actually its totally fine and the shift is very rapid, i even pushed it twice on a couple of occasions as i didnt hear the change.

The brakes shreak like you wouldnt believe, i made myself jump! I think i just need to look at the set up or let them bed in though, the feel is exceptionally good - just didnt want to use it riding through town for fear of scaring pensioners.

One criticism - the handle bar are way too narrow for my ape arms, dont know if Canyon will help me out with that but i do have a set i can try if not.
  • bickers wrote:
    the handle bar are way too narrow

Hmmm they are the same size as my old bike!! My saddle wasnt right so maybe i just need to tweak position a bit.
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    Can add me to the group next month ;-)

Or this month if I decide not to get the SLX version :-D
  • Gabbo
    By the way

Am 186cm and have a 35" inseam. Therefore, longish legs and a shorter torso. Wondering what size frame I should go for?
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    If you are between sizes don't Canyon recommend smaller size if you want a performance fit, larger for more relaxed fit.
  • Gabbo
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    If you are between sizes don't Canyon recommend smaller size if you want a performance fit, larger for more relaxed fit.

I suppose, but I have yet to speak to an advisor (which is the obvious thing to do). I would have thought that a 55cm top tube is a little on the short side.
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    Gabbo wrote:
    By the way

Am 186cm and have a 35" inseam. Therefore, longish legs and a shorter torso. Wondering what size frame I should go for?

I'm pretty much the same height and inseam as you and bought an Ultimate CF recently. Was unsure whether to go for a 56 or 58, but opted for the 58 and it fits perfectly.

I spoke to Canyon in Germany about sizing and they were a big help.
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo wrote:
    By the way

I'm pretty much the same height and inseam as you and bought an Ultimate CF recently. Was unsure whether to go for a 56 or 58, but opted for the 58 and it fits perfectly.

What did Canyon say? Did they advise against a 56 or not? I want a more competitive fit opposed to a relaxed fit. Also, if the stem require changing I'd prefer to lengthen it oppose to having to resort to buying a shorter stem. Does it also seem a little high at the front?

Thanks
  • hubert222
    hubert222 Posts: 12
    Hi all canyon fans, I also bought a canyon Ultimate CF, will arrived at coming TUE.
    I m 178cm, and order a size 58.
  • Gabbo
    hubert222 wrote:
    Hi all canyon fans, I also bought a canyon Ultimate CF, will arrived at coming TUE.

Is this what they advised? Or did you decide for yourself? 58cm seems a little big for someone at 178cm, no?
  • hubert222
    Gabbo wrote:
    hubert222 wrote:

Is this what they advised? Or did you decide for yourself? 58cm seems a little big for someone at 178cm, no?

hi, i decide myself , they advised me to have a 56. I want to have a 1 cm longer headtube as i cant put my back too low(With some back injuries with i was a teenager). And have a long inseam - 86cm with short torso( strange ! ) Also think about the seat and head tube angle , both are 73.5 . looks very balance. So go for a 58.
    Anyways, My giant Adv SL isp is M size, feel a bit strange when i shake the bike uphill , maybe the Toptube is a bit short (55.5) ?
  • hubert222
    Can any canyon fans can tell me the 2013 Ultimate CF are same as the 2012 Ultimate CF SLX ?
    I going to buy the 2013 Ultimate CF as the classic model of canyon , but the 2013 model without "SLX " , is that mean is not the same of 2012 Ultimate CF SLX ?
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    Gabbo wrote:
    hubert222 wrote:

Just what I was thinking. I am 177cm and they suggested a small for me at first (53), but via an email to Canyon, they said that I would probably need a (56), and thats what I've gone for.

Steve
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • hubert222
    chigman wrote:
    Gabbo wrote:
    hubert222 wrote:

Just what I was thinking. I am 177cm and they suggested a small for me at first (53), but via an email to Canyon, they said that I would probably need a (56), and thats what I've gone for.

Steve

:D ! Post ur nice bike when you build up :wink:
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    hubert222 wrote:
    Can any canyon fans can tell me the 2013 Ultimate CF are same as the 2012 Ultimate CF SLX ?
    I going to buy the 2013 Ultimate CF as the classic model of canyon , but the 2013 model without "SLX " , is that mean is not the same of 2012 Ultimate CF SLX ?

No
    Yes
  • chigman
    chigman Posts: 163
    hubert222 wrote:
    chigman wrote:
    Gabbo wrote:
    hubert222 wrote:

Steve

But at least I wont be sending mine back :lol:
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
    Cube Crossteam Hybrid
  • Gabbo
    chigman wrote:
    hubert222 wrote:
    chigman wrote:
    Gabbo wrote:
    hubert222 wrote:

Steve

Ohhhhhh :mrgreen:
  • Gabbo
    Still trying to work out whether the SLX is £600 or so better than the Ultimate CF. Apart from about 150g difference in weight, I don't see much difference. Maybe the SLX is significantly stiffer than the CF.. I don't know.

Anyone rode on both?

And is an extra £600 really worth it? :x
  • bobbydazzla
    bobbydazzla Posts: 289
    Gabbo wrote:
    Gabbo wrote:
    By the way

What did Canyon say? Did they advise against a 56 or not? I want a more competitive fit opposed to a relaxed fit. Also, if the stem require changing I'd prefer to lengthen it oppose to having to resort to buying a shorter stem. Does it also seem a little high at the front?

Thanks

I'm 185 cm tall and 34" inseam so very slightly smaller than you. They strongly recommended a 58 but said if I was racing then I could probably get away with a 56.

And it doesn't seem high at the front, although the headset design means you can't slam it down but you can still get a reasonably aggressive position.

Here's a pic of mine if it helps you to see the set up.

photo-4_zpsfd94d02e.jpg
  • Gabbo
    Appreciated. Looks a little high at the front but compare that to the 58cm Tarmac which has a 20.5cm headtube then you'll see it's relatively low. Might order mine soon. Is that the SLX? Also, how does it ride in terms of stiffness etc?
  • hubert222
    chigman wrote:
    hubert222 wrote:
    chigman wrote:
    Gabbo wrote:
    hubert222 wrote:

Steve

:D
  • Gabbo
    Gabbo wrote:
    Gabbo wrote:

photo-4_zpsfd94d02e.jpg

Those Ultegra pedals must weigh a ton!