Canyon Ultimate CF SLX thread

Comments

• bickers
    bickers Posts: 68
    Yeah thats pulled the rug from under me! At least 5 months for delivery! I was expecting about Jan.
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    I'll be lucky to have the cash together by March the ways things are going, so don't mind the wait. They are sexy looking beasts though.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    bickers wrote:
    Yeah thats pulled the rug from under me! At least 5 months for delivery! I was expecting about Jan.

They may start delivering much much earlier than that....
  • I'm just trying to decide which model to get, it's a toss up between the 7.0 di2 and 8.0 at the moment.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Would anybody be using a 2,3,4k bike before march?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Skerryman
    gsk82 wrote:

I thought this yesterday and it gave me some comfort on having nowhere near the required funds at the moment. March seems like a nice target for such a fancy pants bike.
  • bickers
    gsk82 wrote:

Someone with only room and budget for 1 road bike :(

The aeroad di2 is slightly cheaper and available sooner, and for my level probably just as good a bike. Suprisingly Geometry wise its actually closer to my trek 2.1 than the ultimate. Although pretty much no chance of getting mud guards on it!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    room i can see as a problem, but if you're looking at the ultimate cf slx then you clearly have a budget to cover 2 bikes
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • n1ckster
    n1ckster Posts: 158
    gsk82 wrote:

Why wouldn't you use your bike before March?

Nick
  • weather I'm guessing. same reason i'l barely be using mine. today was it's last ride for a while now unless any cold crisp winters days turn up. be using my commuter full time for the next few months.

I don't have a problem with washing it all down, it's more the cost of replacement parts(consumables - not frame melting in the rain or anything...) for it that puts me off.
  • Anyone have the ultimate CF? Is it any good???
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • ClaudeH
    ClaudeH Posts: 78
    I am torn between the 8.0, the 8 ES and the 9.0.

Questions: How do the SLR wheels compare to the Elites?
    Is it possible getting the new 8 ES seatpost as an optional extra on the 9.0 and would it be a good idea?

Claude
  • Skerryman
    ClaudeH wrote:
    I am torn between the 8.0, the 8 ES and the 9.0.

Questions: How do the SLR wheels compare to the Elites?
    Is it possible getting the new 8 ES seatpost as an optional extra on the 9.0 and would it be a good idea?

Claude

Apart from the saddle and seatpost (and price) I can't see a difference between the 8.0 and 8.0ES. Seems odd to have a whole new version just with a different seat post and saddle. Maybe I'm missing somehting.
  • ClaudeH
    [quote="Skerryman
    Apart from the saddle and seatpost (and price) I can't see a difference between the 8.0 and 8.0ES. Seems odd to have a whole new version just with a different seat post and saddle. Maybe I'm missing somehting.[/quote]

It also has gel bar tape and 25mm tyres. Clearly being positioned as a "comfort" version.

Claude
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    price increases not as bad as I thought - can still get the SLX 9.0 for around £2850 with the VAT off

I can't seem to find the geometry charts for the new frame though - can anyone help me out?
  • bickers
    Loads of 2012 CF SLX models on the Outlet now - i just bought one :)
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    bickers wrote:

Excellent. Which spec did you go for ?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Ha the one I was interested in is actually 100 quid dearer than last week before the 2013 models went live, when it wasn't in the outlet, how the hell does that make any sense?
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    giant man wrote:
    Ha the one I was interested in is actually 100 quid dearer than last week before the 2013 models went live, when it wasn't in the outlet, how the hell does that make any sense?

No idea but all i know is Canyon prices seem to change on a daily basis. The DI2 I was interested in ranged from £1499-£1633 over a period of a couple of weeks. I presume it is conected with the Euros exchange rate but i never tracked that.
  • bickers
    rando wrote:
    bickers wrote:

Excellent. Which spec did you go for ?

9.0 Pro CT in white - campy record and Ksyrium SLR, same as the pictures on the first page of this post. It was a toss up between that and the same with Dura Ace and Rsys for a little more money but I fell in love with this spec so stuck to it. Its £500+ cheaper than the equivilent 2013 model and i will hopefully have it in a week or so.

Not the biggest saving but still better overall value than most other things ive looked at - and its soooo pretty :)
  • The boardman elite models look just as good as the Canyon if not better. Plus you can go and try them out
    Bianchi Via Nirone
    Focus Izalco Pro 2.0
  • giant_man
    hardly revelant daveyruthers, this is the canyon thread, this is all about the canyons baby!
  • ClaudeH
    Well I have bitten the bullet and ordered the 2013 CF SLX 8.0 ES. There are a few different 2012 bikes being sold now for similar money that are really tempting me but I figure that a few months wait is worth it for the new lighter frame, the new fancy seatpost and the 11-speed Dura Ace.

Having said all that, instant gratification is a powerful thing to fight against!

Claude
  • giant_man
    so what kind of time have you been given claudeh?
  • ClaudeH
    giant man wrote:
    so what kind of time have you been given claudeh?

Nothing specific yet. The website says March 2013 but I understand that this really means "before March 2013".

Claude
  • Tempted to get either the 7.0 or 8.0, is the extra ~£500 worth the 250gram difference in weight saving?

I need convincing that Dura-ace is worth the difference.... I know it looks awesome :-)

Also, size wise I am 5'10" and 31" inside leg, and the configurator is recommending a Small frame, do people think this is correct? I currently ride a 54cm Allez Elite.
    Opinions appreciated.
  • ClaudeH
    stan1000 wrote:
    Tempted to get either the 7.0 or 8.0, is the extra ~£500 worth the 250gram difference in weight saving?

I need convincing that Dura-ace is worth the difference.... I know it looks awesome :-)

Also, size wise I am 5'10" and 31" inside leg, and the configurator is recommending a Small frame, do people think this is correct? I currently ride a 54cm Allez Elite.
    Opinions appreciated.

I found it as easy to gradually slide up the price scale (only another £X for this bit of bling) as to slide down (well I could save £X if I leave off Y). In the end I decided I was happy with the Ksyrium Elite wheels and I wanted the new Dura Ace and the new seat post so that settled it for me. I too found the sizing challenging. I am 178cm tall with an 83/84cm inside leg and the online system suggested medium (56cm) but only just. In the end I decided to go with the medium as as the TT + stem length of 559mm is only 5mm longer than my current Jamis 54cm. There is obviously more to a fit than that but it seems close enough to allow a proper bike fit to get the desired end result.

Claude
  • giant_man
    i've always thought the calculator on there to be a very rough guide. The change in certain geometries doesn't help.
  • bickers
    My bike arrived yesterday and built it this evening - its very pretty :) The wheels look stunning and its crazy light. Not been able to ride it due to work although it wet out anyway and i need a dry ride to check everythings ok with it (requirement of the 30day return policy), fingers cross for tomorrow.
  • bickers
    + 1 for Canyon efficiency BTW.

I was in Holland the day i ordered my bike and so seeing my credit card used in two countries one of which was a big payment they shut down my card. I got an automated email from Canyon letting me know, called my CC to unblock it and let Canyon know by email and it was sorted in no time.

Took about 7 days for the bike to arrive with plenty of updates and a trackable parcel ID as soon as it shipped. Very well packaged in their fancy bike box and aside from putting wheels and seat post on and attaching bar to stem there was nothing i needed to do, gears, brakes all spot on.

Just need to find a minute to use it rather than stare at it across the dining room where i work!