Winter Prep :(

1235»

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Godders1 wrote:
    I like the Roubaix Santini warmers from Prendas.

Another bonus of buying from them is that you can email them some measurements beforehand (bicep circumference, arm length etc) and they will recommend the right size for you (and they’re usually spot on in my experience).

Prendas are brilliant like that, I have nothing but praise for that company.

I am the same with arm warmers, I have longish arms but typical cyclists build, bigger lower half than top so I have had arm warmers that didn't stay up, annoying.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Torvid wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Regarding the Gore knee warmers / arm warmers / leg warmers malarkey, which size would you buy? I am usually a size L for their tops and an XL for their bib shorts / tights?

I'm a medium size top and medium arm warmers but I got the large knee's as they fitted better even though I usually go for medium bibs, but I'm right on the top end of the medium bibs and bottom end of the large bibs.

Thanks, just went ahead an ordered some of these in XL... Gore Bike Wear Power Thermo ones for £19.50 from Play.com - they were the last ones and cheaper than anywhere else :)

ATPOWB-9900-l,1.jpg
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    JonGinge wrote:
    I disagree. Leg and arm-warmers are the commuter's friend. I have way more shorts and SS tops than tights and LS tops. Warmers fit the bill perfectly.

My knees don't like the cold.

He speaketh wise words.

Perhaps the warmers are tight because you've put on a bit of Terry, Wrath? ;).
    Don't I know it. Still, back to regular riding now. Got a 130 mile ride coming up so all I can shift before that will help
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Could you be sure to keep the Winter prep thread running until April please. Never seemed less likely to need arm/knee warmers than over the last week. <thinks> Does this automatically screw the weather for next week? </thinks>
  • Seem to recall someone using www.moglo.co.uk for reflective stickers. Any good? Any other suggestions?
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Ordered dhb Windslam Gilet and their Corefit High Viz long sleeve base layer from Wiggle in the sale, an extra 10% off for orders before 2pm today! Good purchases? I reckon these 2 items should see me through autumn and then I need Roubaix stuff I imagine!
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    My DHB tights and craft toe warmers just arrived from Wiggle. Likewise, should be good though autumn and mild winter days.

@ The Fuggler - I stuck some scotchlite tape on the back of my mudguard. Probably wouldn't put it on a frame though.

http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Self-adhesive-reflecting-Scotchlite-tape-6x10cmx5cm::454.html
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a49343/reflective-tape-1m-x-15mm-roll.html?lg=en&cr=GBP
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    tommyl7 wrote:

There is a link from the Assos website so yes I would say its official...
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    tommyl7 wrote:
    Yep, they're great. Used them for most of my commutes last winter
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • pangolin
    Do you have size 1 or 2, and how manly are your thighs? ;)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Gave them a bell earlier and went for size 1. I am 171cm and have mildly manly thighs so hopefully they stay up
  • JonGinge wrote:
    tommyl7 wrote:
    Yep, they're great. Used them for most of my commutes last winter

Ooh look, ASSOS I could almost afford...

Might give their winter merino socks a try at least. Last of the big spenders, me.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Seem to recall someone using http://www.moglo.co.uk for reflective stickers. Any good? Any other suggestions?
    Yep, all good. Not a fancy website, but the stuff turns up quickly and has stayed stuck on.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    hmmmm - not even put lights on my bike yet for the shorter days!

Will have to get the brakes sorted on my winter bike then I will add the mudguard and get the rucksack out - ho hum biking goes back to real biking and I forget dreams of racing along pretending I am in the TDF

As for the clothes I will have to dig them out of the draw and then start to make a list of all the new things I need to buy.
  • Because winter only finished a week last Wednesday, I think I'm in pretty good shape. A couple of optimisations (lighter overshoes, thicker socks) and I'm good. I'm even (secretly - shush :wink: ) looking forward to testing out some of these things: there's no such thing as bad weather just bad kit :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    pangolin wrote:
    Do you have size 1 or 2, and how manly are your thighs? ;)
    tommyl7 wrote:
    Gave them a bell earlier and went for size 1. I am 171cm and have mildly manly thighs so hopefully they stay up

Erm, can't remember TBH. Will look later. Probably 1 as I've got skinny climber's legs.
    Note: the tops aren't elasticated as such and rely on the shorts to keep them in place.

@UE Most Assos stuff is ridiculously expensive but good quality. The warmers are bargainous as I've had them 4+ years, worn them a lot and they still look pristine
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Ordered dhb Windslam Gilet and their Corefit High Viz long sleeve base layer from Wiggle in the sale, an extra 10% off for orders before 2pm today! Good purchases? I reckon these 2 items should see me through autumn and then I need Roubaix stuff I imagine!
    Received these today, the Windslam Gilet in particular looks and feels awesome. :D
    The plan is to wear a long sleeve base layer like the High Viz one with a normal s/sleeve jersey and the gilet on top. Got some birthday money so next I'm thinking a decent jacket (was looking at Gore Phantom in sale, but also like dhb EQ2.5 or Altura Night Vision?) and some Roubaix longs.
    May need decent gloves as well though.
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    The plan is to wear a long sleeve base layer like the High Viz one with a normal s/sleeve jersey and the gilet on top.
    3 layers?! It's only a UK winter ;)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • brought some cruds for the bike on Monday will wait till the weekend when I have more time to fix them, only now need some decent bib tights and new powerful rear light for the unlit country roads I am on, torn between a exposure flare and denotte 410r.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    re. the dhb gillet, I've got the Ultralight one, and its pretty poor. Fit isn't that great, especially around the shoulders which bunch up and then flap at anything over 20mph. With no mesh on the rear its definitely at the colder end of the spectrum. Finally there are no pockets, meaning that you have to ruck it up to get to your other pockets. Still, cost £20 so you wouldn't expect the features of something like a Gore equivalent.

@sharkysurfer: I've got the Flare and its a great light. Just be aware that the run time isn't that great so it will get expensive if you use normal batteries. I've gone down the rechargeable route, which cuts the cost massively, but the rechargeable battery lasts 3.5 hours, just enough for my winter training ride OR a week's commute. I normally have to charge it up twice a week.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • pangolin
    Assos legwarmers arrived today and look really promising. Wore the craft toewarmers home yesterday and they certainly work, toes were indeed warm. Quite looking forward to cooler weather now!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • cheers wr, I think with the flare I would have to charge it up at least 3 times in a week to keep it bright/charged up enough, I think the denotte has a longer run time, as well as being 3 times brighter!
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • Took the legwarmers out last night and they are very good. Kept me nice and warm ut no overheating

only caveat is that you need relatively tight bibshorts to keep them up as they dont have a proper gripper on them
  • tommyl7 wrote:
    Took the legwarmers out last night and they are very good. Kept me nice and warm ut no overheating

only caveat is that you need relatively tight bibshorts to keep them up as they dont have a proper gripper on them

Hmm - I thought mine did - might be a subtly different model but I thought there was a "sticky" gripper strip around part of the top?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pangolin
    Mine have a bit of sticky stuff round the back half of the top, none round the front half. Much less squeezy than other warmers I have seen, which is a good thing in my opinion.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin wrote:
    Mine have a bit of sticky stuff round the back half of the top, none round the front half. Much less squeezy than other warmers I have seen, which is a good thing in my opinion.

I like mine but the Size 2 are a tad long for me (or I have to wear them unfashionably high on my legs :wink: )