Winter Prep :(

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    dhope wrote:
    I invested in a Rapha softshell last year (they kindly sent me a 20% off code for it) and I was very impressed (so impressed that I bought a softshell Gilet as well!). Kept me toasty warm in Jan/Feb on some seriously cold rides out into Surrey. Might invest in some toe covers this years as those are really the only parts of my feet that suffered last winter.

Toe covers are awesome.

Any toe-cover recommendations?

Saw them for the first time on Jon Ginge only this year, so I'm new to the whole toe-cover thing.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I was using these:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-winter-toe-cover/

toasty. Seemed to have stood up well to commute riding too
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    JonGinge wrote:
    I was using these:

Have same ones and they're good.
    Bottom a bit frayed and torn from being lazy and walking with them still on the shoe, but they're holding together well
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    This thread reminds me that last winter, only a pair of snowboarding gauntlets could keep my fingers warm, but at the expense of changing gears. Any of you care to offer opinions & experiences of the best winter ( i.e. cold) gloves that still offer a modicum of dexterity with the STI shifters? Anticipating a Lobster-flavoured slant to the answers...
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I layer up for winter - liners, "regular" winter gloves (quite waterproof/resistant), and then squeeze my knackered old gore windstopper gloves over the top of that (seam on the finger split, so no good on their own, but a good barrier as a third option)

So with that - maybe take your regular gloves into the bikes shop and try on a big pair of windstopper gloves to check they'll go over the top?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    After spending ages cleaning the cr@p off my bike after the rain on Sat night I have put the road racers back on as tomorrow looks to be damp and having put a new chain on I want to make this one last longer. Only other thing is to add my mofo front light when things get worse weather wise
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    This year I'm going to try some dry-suit cuffs as gaiters.

Me too,and especially for long training rides in the rain. No overshoes (as far as I'm aware) will cope with a four hour ride in full rain but I'm thinking that for such occasions, placcy bags over road shoes followed by overshoes with drysuit cuffs over the tops, my feet will sweat but at least they won't fill with cold rainwater.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Dr Lex. I use these - Northwave Artics - in the winter. They are the dogs. Never get cold hands even on the coldest days.

38096.jpg
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    I have some specialized sub zero's. They are bulky but you can change gear ok. It does have to be sub zero to wear them though, they make your hands sweaty otherwise! Seem to be properly waterproof (reached into water to get something out with no wetness), but obviously suffer if water runs down the cuff.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/shoes/product/review-specialized-sub-zero-gloves-42714
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    JonGinge wrote:
    I was using these:

I have those - summer use only and then I usually put thin overshoes on instead!

How I envy those with the circulation to get by on toe covers only!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rick_chasey
    Rolf F wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    I was using these:

I have those - summer use only and then I usually put thin overshoes on instead!

How I envy those with the circulation to get by on toe covers only!

It's called living in the South East ;).
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    It's called living in the South East ;).
    If its under 3C, I can't ride for longer than 30 mins without getting frostbite on my extremities :(

I just picked up the Assos three layer glove "system", I'm hoping the lobster gloves will keep my hands from going numb in addition to looking really weird and creepy.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    Ok, just to resurrect this thread, as I have a query relating to bib tights.

I now have a 19 mile each way commute, and wish to ride through the winter.

I have best gear for the weekend, and do not want to spend a fortune on commuting gear, for example my shorts I currently use (Non bib) are dhb and some cheap Nikes, and my jerseys tend to be lidl or bargain sale Gill ones, I really do not care as long as it is comfortable enough and does the job.

So, I have seen some dhb bib tights and 3/4 versions (I prefer the idea of padded to unpadded), so was tempted to get 2 or 3 each of a couple of these puppies:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pace-padded-34-bib-tight/
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pace-padded-bib-tight/
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pace-roubaix-padded-34-bib-tight/

Now my question is, that I notice the Pace standard ones are listed as generally being for light autumn or spring days, and not the depths of winter - as it happens my legs do not tend to feel the cold 'that' bad, so I wonder if it might be ok for me, but I just wonderef if anyone had any experience or opinions on them?

My other options is some Altura Ergo fit bibtights reduced from £79.99 to £35.

Anyone have any feedback on any of the above?

Many thanks

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I've got the Roubaix 3/4 bibs. Absolutely fine from about -3 through to +12 over a 15 to 20 mile ride (not commute). Rate them highly.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • daniel_b
    Cheers TF - what size do you have, and what approximate dimensions are you?

I 'think' I may be able to get away with a small you see, and that is the biggest size they have left...
    I am about 5ft 10, but with long legs, shortish body, and around a 33" waist, and 37/38" chest.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Ah - I'm 5 10 with average legs and a 34" waist, 40" chest. I wear large, but would have been okay in a medium. Small might be okay, but could be a squeeze.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,339
    I think size S might be a bit snug for you. I'm 5'9", 30" waist 31-32" inside leg and my size S pair fits me perfectly.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    I'm not someone who has good circulation to the extremities when I'm not moving. On my motorbike, i'm usually one of the first to feel it in the feet and fingers however, last winter on the road bike, I was using DHB R1 shoes with a set of cheap cycling socks, with a set of Defeet oversocks on top. I generally found that my feet were fine as long as it was dry. I plan to get a pair of the Planet X waterproof overshoes for this winter.

Same for fingers, I know a lot like a nice thick set of gloves, but I was using a set of thin Defeet wooly gloves, and putting my fingerless summer gloves underneath. Did the trick just fine!
  • daniel_b
    rjsterry wrote:
    I think size S might be a bit snug for you. I'm 5'9", 30" waist 31-32" inside leg and my size S pair fits me perfectly.

Ah bugger I expect you may be correct then - well I have already ordered 3 pairs (Free returns if they are too snug) a pair of Altura Ergo Fit bib tights for £35 (Medium), and I remembered I already had a cheap pair of decathlon bib tights, and a cheapie santini pair i picked up last winter, so that should be enough to get me through the winter!

I will try and go with overshoes to start with, and see how that works for heat retention.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    My fingers felt the chill this morning and I wished I'd worn a thicker pair of gloves. Must test my heated gloves and shoe liner this evening and give my large supply of gloves a quick check.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I had winter tights, softshell Jacket and full finger gloves on this morning,

Could have done with overshoes and my ear/head band as well.

The winter kit will be greatly expanded this autumn... if only there was sale on where they had stock that wasnt xsmall or xxlarge.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rick_chasey
    Busted out the warmers today.

Ear, arm and knee.

Brrr.
  • rjsterry

Ear, arm and knee.

Brrr.

Oh, deary me, it wasn't that cold. I thought you Dutch were supposed to be a hardy lot - all that skating on the frozen canals and meres ;)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Any Londoner who was cold this morning isn't riding hard enough. FACT.

My 2 experiences of Altura have been terrible. Poor quality, fell apart quickly.

If anyone is in the market for good winter overshoes, Prendas is your friend. These are fabulous: http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=17&ID=3024
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:

Ear, arm and knee.

Brrr.

Oh, deary me, it wasn't that cold. I thought you Dutch were supposed to be a hardy lot - all that skating on the frozen canals and meres ;)

vmElfstedentocht_131154-586x398.jpg

9 Degrees.

Had warmer commutes in January this year.
  • rjsterry
    True, I was questioning my choice of mitts after a couple of miles. Actually, the glare from the low sun was what I found most uncomfortable.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Regarding Winter Bib-tights: I can't recommend Biemme Coronado enough - I've had mine for three years now, and they'll easily last another winter. Very warm indeed, windproof and very comfortable. I've tried ones that cost three times as much, but always go back to these ones. Just superb.

http://www.highonbikes.com/biemme-coron ... EB26sGPXng
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    True, I was questioning my choice of mitts after a couple of miles. Actually, the glare from the low sun was what I found most uncomfortable.

Yes.

Has anyone worked out how to wear sunnies when you're also wearing ear warmers?

When you have ears like Andrew Marr your ears get painful quite quickly.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rjsterry wrote:

Yes.

Ski goggles?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    rjsterry wrote:

Yes.

By a winter cap - Rapha's is good. It's thin enough that Sunglasses happily fit over the top of it.

Of course it's best used in the winter when, y'know, it's actually cold.