Winter Prep :(

Comments

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Any Londoner who was cold this morning isn't riding hard enough. FACT.

My 2 experiences of Altura have been terrible. Poor quality, fell apart quickly.

If anyone is in the market for good winter overshoes, Prendas is your friend. These are fabulous: http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?typ=typ&fkid=17&ID=3024

They might be good but they are expensive.

I would buy these instead, £11 cheaper! - I have been using them for 2 years now and they are great, they also still look good as well. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-tarmac-npu-road-overshoes/
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    rjsterry wrote:
    True, I was questioning my choice of mitts after a couple of miles. Actually, the glare from the low sun was what I found most uncomfortable.

Yes.

Has anyone worked out how to wear sunnies when you're also wearing ear warmers?

When you have ears like Andrew Marr your ears get painful quite quickly.

In winter I use a buff, in one of its various configurations. It takes a bit of fiddling the first few times to find a method that stays on, doesn't leave flappy bits and covers everything you want it to, but once you do it's really good.

Today wore normal shorts, shoes, mitts, cap, but added a softshell jacket. This was good to start with but ended up a but too warm at the end. Mitts started off chilly but fine after 10 minutes. Shoes were fine with no overshoes. I'm still using the £10 Planet X ones when it's cold (not for a while), seem to be holding together well.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry wrote:
    True, I was questioning my choice of mitts after a couple of miles. Actually, the glare from the low sun was what I found most uncomfortable.

Yes.

By a winter cap - Rapha's is good. It's thin enough that Sunglasses happily fit over the top of it.

Of course it's best used in the winter when, y'know, it's actually cold.

I've got one of these http://www.rapha.cc/winter-hat/ but a) my helmet won't fit over it (ah well, sans helmet when it's really cold) and b) I find the sunglasses open up a big stream of air onto my ears which kinda defeats the point.
  • rick_chasey
    dhope wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Yes.

Ski goggles?

Facebook-Like-Button-big.jpg
  • pangolin
    I've got one of these http://www.rapha.cc/winter-hat/ but a) my helmet won't fit over it (ah well, sans helmet when it's really cold) and b) I find the sunglasses open up a big stream of air onto my ears which kinda defeats the point.

Will the sunglasses not stay on if you put them over the hat?

Really cold / icy is one of the few times I wear a helmet :) feel like I'm more likely to be in a lowish speed fall / crash whatever where it might make a big difference.

edit: a buff fits under a helmet
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    rjsterry wrote:

Yes.

Headphones....

I picked up the Assos WinterGloveSystem when it was on sale last week and its pretty good if complete overkill. Looking forward to it getting really chilly just so I can go full zoidberg.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    pangolin wrote:

Will the sunglasses not stay on if you put them over the hat?

Really cold / icy is one of the few times I wear a helmet :) feel like I'm more likely to be in a lowish speed fall / crash whatever where it might make a big difference.

edit: a buff fits under a helmet

What sunglasses are you using? I've never had any trouble wearing mine (Oakley's) over a hat (winter or otherwise). Oh and stuff the helmet.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    dhope wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Yes.

Ski goggles?
    I pass a guy most days who wears what looks like a skateboarding helmet and ski goggles (regardless of the conditions).

I'm not usually one to mock the attire of others (I'm hardly decked out in Rapha and Gucci myself) but he does look farking hilarious.

Back on topic; I wore merino for the first time in ages this morning! :shock: (LS baselayer under a regular SS jersey). Was a good choice; not too hot, not too cold. 8degC out according to the met office app.
  • rick_chasey
    Are baselayers really all that?

I've got one skiing Helly hanson one and it's great in the sense it's super light, barely noticeable and cooks you within 2 minutes, but not much use on anything but the coldest days.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    *shrugs* I always wear a baselayer. Thicker ones for autumn/winter and thinner, meshy ones for summer
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    JonGinge wrote:
    *shrugs* I always wear a baselayer. Thicker ones for autumn/winter and thinner, meshy ones for summer
    But...then you don't get a decent tan?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    notsoblue wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    But...then you don't get a decent tan?
    I'm a ginga, I never get a decent tan. I alternate between slightly blue and crimson ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Baselayers are all that. The helly one is crap (I have it) and the BaaBaa one was immense till the missus pinched it
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I love baselayers - really take the chill off.

If anyone needs a new winter jacket I am flogging my Assos Airjack 851 size L over on the road parts for sale bit - £80 for basically as new condition 8)
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • pangolin
    coriordan wrote:
    Baselayers are all that. The helly one is crap (I have it) and the BaaBaa one was immense till the missus pinched it

Yeah my helly one always seems to end up really clammy and gets smelly pretty easily. Which is pretty much the opposite of what they're meant to do isn't it?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    If you have a Go Outdoors near you then get one of their discount cards and wait for the inevitable daft priced sale (they cycle through various offers every few weeks). Earlier this year I got a Gul short sleeve merino base layer for £9 and a long sleeve one for £12 - both really well designed (long back, flat lock seams and super long sleeves on the LS one) and actually look nice enough to wear off the bike without looking mental.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got a few synthetic ones which are good for adding a thin layer, but I do love my BaaBaa. Warm, but rarely too warm, doesn't smell (I lived in it for 4 days of mtbing and camping in Wales, pong free!), just does what it should, and it's not hideously expensive.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Torm.cc do some stupendous base-layers, short-sleeve only, though.
  • rick_chasey
    bails87 wrote:
    I've got a few synthetic ones which are good for adding a thin layer, but I do love my BaaBaa. Warm, but rarely too warm, doesn't smell (I lived in it for 4 days of mtbing and camping in Wales, pong free!), just does what it should, and it's not hideously expensive.
    So which baa Baa ones for which conditions?
  • bails87
    This one: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=26756

That's what I've got. It would have been good this morning under a short or long sleeved jersey (with 3/4 bibs and short gloves, summer shoes). But would be a bit on the warm side for the 17c+ that's forecast for the ride home, so I wore a non-wool one instead.

It all depends on how hot/cold you are in general though. They're very good but the specific point at which it becomes useful is down to you.
    MTB/CX

• Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Had to buy some 3/4 length bib tights this morning, dhb pace roubaix downto £28. Bridge the gap between now and late october when the fleece lined Gore ones get deployed.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    For me this morning it was a short sleeve base layer, arm warmers, short sleeve jersey and bib shorts. Took my Gilet but didnt need it. I was wearing Defeet oversocks but only to stop the draught.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Whoa! Still in tee shirt, liner shorts and baggies down here, must admit that t was a little chilly this morning though. Carrying, Arm warmers, jacket and waterproof shorts + a spare pair of socks, just in case.
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    Whoa! Still in tee shirt, liner shorts and baggies down here, must admit that t was a little chilly this morning though. Carrying, Arm warmers, jacket and waterproof shorts + a spare pair of socks, just in case.

Indeed I'm just in t shirt and work trousers. Getting cool before 7am but no where nr cold
  • bails87
    gtvlusso wrote:

Indeed I'm just in t shirt and work trousers. Getting cool before 7am but no where nr cold
    It was 4 degrees here on friday morning!
    MTB/CX

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Haven't even been able to use long sleeved tops yet, too warm.

This weekend has been gorgeous!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Took a spin down some country lanes last night with the ay-ups. Superb lights. Even in misty conditions they were brilliant. Can't recommend them highly enough.

I'm a big fan of Finisterre merino wool tops. Really good. Keep their shape and form nicely too.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Took a spin down some country lanes last night with the ay-ups. Superb lights. Even in misty conditions they were brilliant. Can't recommend them highly enough.
    Been loving mine since last October. I'm almost looking forwards to the clocks changing and doing after dark laps of RP again.

Another +1 for the Endura BaaBaa base layer. An awesome bit of kit.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited September 2012
    Hmmmm. lights.

What lights (AA, AAA or USB) get you noticed on the front? Because my Hope 1 & 2 don't grab much attention on flash mode.

edit, trigger happy, ordered one of these to see what it's like Electron Milli:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=73910
  • pangolin
    iPete wrote:
    Hmmmm. lights.

What lights (AA, AAA or USB) get you noticed on the front? Because my Hope 1 & 2 don't grab much attention on flash mode.

Electron Milli?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=73910

Milli is overkill I reckon iPete, not sure those are legal on a dark night and quite annoying for riders coming the other way. I'd go for the Electron Backupz Front light, still has a handy recharger too.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29533
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono