Winter Prep :(

Comments

• or the cat eye nano shot, that is a bright blinky and usb chargeable as well.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    wooops, was trigger happy and ordered last night, will report back on how annoying it is!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Took a spin down some country lanes last night with the ay-ups. Superb lights. Even in misty conditions they were brilliant. Can't recommend them highly enough.
    Been loving mine since last October. I'm almost looking forwards to the clocks changing and doing after dark laps of RP again.

Another +1 for the Endura BaaBaa base layer. An awesome bit of kit.

This one? : http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=204

And are these good for when it's hot?: http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=542
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Took a spin down some country lanes last night with the ay-ups. Superb lights. Even in misty conditions they were brilliant. Can't recommend them highly enough.
    Been loving mine since last October. I'm almost looking forwards to the clocks changing and doing after dark laps of RP again.

This one? : http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=204

And are these good for when it's hot?: http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=542
    I got the long sleeve, not the s/s as when you're riding with a jacket over the top, you need something wicking between your skin and the jacket
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • tempted to get one of these....

anyone have one?

umbrella_2189385b.jpg
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ahahaha. No mudguards fail
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Rear tyre needs some air too
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    Wrath Rob wrote:

I have ayups from around 5 years ago. Still excellent though i don't think as bright as tge latest ones you guys are using.

I'm now using them paired with a magicshine 816.

Additionally you can buy red covers for the ayups and use a set as a rear light on your helmet for example
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Just wanted to add to this thread that the Small Dhb 3/4 robaix bibs arrived today, and I am delighted to say they fit me perfectly, feel nice and warm for the coming months, and the pad feels very good quality.

I have some normal dhb shorts (£17 many moons ago) and these feel far better quality than those, even though those are still plenty good enough to use for commuting duties.

On a less pleasing note, my second 818 light has arrived, and rotating bezel rotates in a fashion, but also moves back and forth a few millimetres - have logged a ticket with them tonight requesting a replacement unit.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I notice a lot of love for the Baa Baa baselayer. I have one and it's ok but it's not the softest/most comfortable merino wool. The best I've tried is the chocolate fish, sadly very expensive but worth it imo.

http://www.chocolatefishmerino.co.uk/me ... crews.html
  • daniel_b
    Regarding Winter Bib-tights: I can't recommend Biemme Coronado enough - I've had mine for three years now, and they'll easily last another winter. Very warm indeed, windproof and very comfortable. I've tried ones that cost three times as much, but always go back to these ones. Just superb.

http://www.highonbikes.com/biemme-coron ... EB26sGPXng

Hi UE, are these the same ones?
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/biemme-coronado-dynamic-item4899.html

If so, then for certain sizes they could be a tad cheaper than high on bikes, though I accept that JE james are not the most reliable of sellers.

Your happy with yours and the pad?

How do you find the sizing?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Icebreaker merino baselayers are very nice, they survive repeated washes quite well.

http://www.snowandrock.com/pws/UniquePr ... =ICE1402BR

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Regarding Winter Bib-tights: I can't recommend Biemme Coronado enough - I've had mine for three years now, and they'll easily last another winter. Very warm indeed, windproof and very comfortable. I've tried ones that cost three times as much, but always go back to these ones. Just superb.

http://www.highonbikes.com/biemme-coron ... EB26sGPXng

Hi UE, are these the same ones?
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/biemme-coronado-dynamic-item4899.html

If so, then for certain sizes they could be a tad cheaper than high on bikes, though I accept that JE james are not the most reliable of sellers.

Your happy with yours and the pad?

How do you find the sizing?

Yep, they're the same. Very happy with them, pad's fine for me - found it better than the Campagnolo and Northwave pads in other tights I've tried. I wear an XL in these, but large in normal life. If I was shorter (6' 3"), I would have been fine in large, it's the vertical space that's lacking, rather than the horizontal.

Really warm for deep-winter, but I use them up to about 10 degrees happily.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Koncordski wrote:
    Icebreaker merino baselayers are very nice, they survive repeated washes quite well.

http://www.snowandrock.com/pws/UniquePr ... =ICE1402BR

Yep. Got a couple of these. They're much more comfortable than the BaaBaa base layers, IMHO.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • I love Icebreaker merino; I've got 200, 260 and 320 weights and they all feel fabulous against the skin. I picked them up on sale over the course of the last 18 months. The 200 goes on in October, the 260 for most of the rest of the winter and the 320 on those below 5C days. I'd never appreciated the difference in merino weights before accidentally pulling on the 320 one on a warmer day and nearly boiling!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I still have some castelli full length bibs unopened in the bag, after realising legs and arm warmers do a more effective job when combined with gilet and various jacket combos.

As for gloves I don't believe there's a cycling specific glove yet made that can help me.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Paul E
    itboffin wrote:
    I still have some castelli full length bibs unopened in the bag, after realising legs and arm warmers do a more effective job when combined with gilet and various jacket combos.

As for gloves I don't believe there's a cycling specific glove yet made that can help me.

Snap, I find it easier to regulate my temperature that way and I think I have got too many pairs of gloves trying to find the best combination to keep my hands warm but still be able to bend my fingers and feel something of the levers still
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Paul E wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Snap, I find it easier to regulate my temperature that way and I think I have got too many pairs of gloves trying to find the best combination to keep my hands warm but still be able to bend my fingers and feel something of the levers still

Ok, Which leg / arm warmers to do the trick then?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • edds
    edds Posts: 156
    rubertoe wrote:

I love my Prendas arm warmers. Having very skinny arms I have had problems with lycra ones not fitting so well. Not a problem with the prendas ones.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ty ... 43&ID=1037
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee
  • rick_chasey
    rubertoe wrote:
    Paul E wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Arm warmers are arm warmers surely?

It's more about the fit.

Oh, and avoid white arm warmers...
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Quite like the look of the Prenda's.

Will order some when I get home... no Leg warmers though
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Got some Gore ones, they're great for most conditions and fit really nicely. I've also got some Rapha ones from the sample sale and they're noticeably heavier/warmer. Good for when the others are in the wash but if its cold enough to need them then its normally cold enough to need a L/S top as the weather really isn't going to warm up that much.

I don't see as much point in leg warmers. You've got to stop to take them off and the tops of them are tight around your thighs. As long as you're just slightly cold when you set out, you'll soon warm up once you get going.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I disagree. Leg and arm-warmers are the commuter's friend. I have way more shorts and SS tops than tights and LS tops. Warmers fit the bill perfectly.

My knees don't like the cold.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    JonGinge wrote:
    I disagree. Leg and arm-warmers are the commuter's friend. I have way more shorts and SS tops than tights and LS tops. Warmers fit the bill perfectly.

My knees don't like the cold.

He speaketh wise words.

Perhaps the warmers are tight because you've put on a bit of Terry, Wrath? ;).
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Going to add a +1 to the Gore arm and (well) knee warmers, might try out the leg warmers this year but I find if it's to cold for the knee warmers it's cold enough for tights.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Regarding the Gore knee warmers / arm warmers / leg warmers malarkey, which size would you buy? I am usually a size L for their tops and an XL for their bib shorts / tights?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Regarding the Gore knee warmers / arm warmers / leg warmers malarkey, which size would you buy? I am usually a size L for their tops and an XL for their bib shorts / tights?

I'm a medium size top and medium arm warmers but I got the large knee's as they fitted better even though I usually go for medium bibs, but I'm right on the top end of the medium bibs and bottom end of the large bibs.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • I like the Roubaix Santini warmers from Prendas.

Another bonus of buying from them is that you can email them some measurements beforehand (bicep circumference, arm length etc) and they will recommend the right size for you (and they’re usually spot on in my experience).
  • Paul E
    rubertoe wrote:
    Paul E wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I have some specialized ones, thicker roubaix windblock on the front, thinner at the back, work for me
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Thanks for the glove tips; found Sealskinz Lobsters for £15 at PBK, so giving them a go. Have the upside of allowing either "Live long & prosper" salute or the Harvey Smith/Agincourt one.