The demise of Women's cycling

124»

Comments

• But it's the race owners who sell the TV rights, not the UCI. That's what the war with ASO was all about a few years ago. Until someone can persuade the people that own the big races to include a women's event in their portfolio, either as a standalone race or as an auxilliary event such as in Tour of Flanders or Fleche-Wallonne, we won't see much on TV. Wish somebody would pick up the Giro Donne coverage, at least that's an hour-a-day of ready-made highlights just needing an English voice-over.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    If he's a trader, surely Frenchie could redirect some of his bonus into sponsoring a women's team..... :lol:
    Perhaps he's more of a merchant banker?
  • ocdupalais
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    All in all, it needs kick starting, and I'd have thought the UCI, in conjunction with some of the pro-tour teams, are the ones to do this.

You'd think so, wouldn't you...

I'll admit to very limited knowledge of who else pulls the strings in the UCI bunker other than McQuaid and a couple of others, but the general sense I get from them is that they've hitched a ride on a fast train, but they're all in the seats facing backwards... And in the buffet car.
    Perhaps this Armstrong thing might lead to a bit of a cull and an opportunity to rid the sport of some of those in the UCI who "lost their way" when certain teams and riders were losing theirs...
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,401
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    All in all, it needs kick starting, and I'd have thought the UCI, in conjunction with some of the pro-tour teams, are the ones to do this.

You'd think so, wouldn't you...

I'll admit to very limited knowledge of who else pulls the strings in the UCI bunker other than McQuaid and a couple of others, but the general sense I get from them is that they've hitched a ride on a fast train, but they're all in the seats facing backwards... with their snouts deep, deep in the trough.
    Perhaps this Armstrong thing might lead to a bit of a cull and an opportunity to rid the sport of some of those in the UCI who "lost their way" when certain teams and riders were losing theirs...

FIFU
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    It needs the UCI to provide some sort of incentive for the pro-tour teams to run a ladies team, ....
    But some pro-tour teams do already run women’s teams – Lotto, Rabobank, Skil-Argos, Greenedge-Orica. Some smaller sponsors also back both men’s and women’s teams.

Rather than just expecting Sky or some other sponsor to do the promotion work for women’s cycling, one could also hope BC could do more to popularise things.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Yeah a little harsh I know. I have no idea about the club you refer to - what is it?

People who work there, at all levels, get generous discounts on clothing, bikes and equipment. I live about 30 miles from the call centre in Irvine and it's quite usual to see groups of folks clad head to toe in Sky gear on Pinarellos.

Also, there were a group of about 15 doing the Flanders sportive when I was there last year, they said the company had paid their entries and contributed to the minibus to get them over there.

Got it. Perks for employees...thought this was something good for members of the public.

Sky velo is the club. http://skyvelo.co.uk/about-the-club/

If you want something that benefits the wider cycling community try the UK wide sky rides.
  • Contador is the Greatest

• Thanks for the link. Looks like she's coming into form nicely for the worlds.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Just a thought, we have an hour and a half of the "sprint" race live from Canada this evening on Eurosport, where is the women's race?
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited September 2012
    There's a former member of my cycling club just ahead of Laws. :shock:
  • http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins ... omens-team

Fantastic! So we could have Pooley riding for Team Wiggo!
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Quite a lot of positive noises being made from Wiggins, Brailsford etc.
  • Just hope it comes to something.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    The timing just seems right for something to happen. They've got the riders, the money, the infrastructure, the public support, and the knowledge that it won't ruin the BC track team.
  • ocdupalais
    I don't buy any of this from Wiggins and Dave...
    They're just hoping for a "promise" from their wife/girlfriend and a lordship from Her Maj...

Knighthood shitehood...
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I would definitely watch Marianne Vos if they'd show it (especially the Giro Donne) but I can't find anywhere to watch it. I think the best thing they could do is forget TV and instead set up a channel on youtube. Then get a bunch of people (could even be the husbands/wives) to take some GoPro HD cameras and film the races. Put them up on youtube with some commentary and you've got an audience.

(plus, if it does well enough, youtube pays the channel owner ad revenue share, so women's cycling could own that channel - and youtube allows you to sell other stuff on the channel too, so they could sell shirts, etc)
  • OK, so listening to this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/19680368

I "think" Brailsford is saying there won't be a women's Team Sky next year. Can he ever answer a question with a straight yes or no? Looks like they are focusing on the younger riders, such as Trott and King, which will be great for even younger riders like Lucy Garner, but what will happen to riders like Pooley or Cooke?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Can he ever answer a question with a straight yes or no?
    Are you familiar with journalists? There's a decent amount of them that are complete pricks and will quote any definite stance back at you just to fuel an agenda. Vaguery is the only viable option.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Can he ever answer a question with a straight yes or no?
    Are you familiar with journalists? There's a decent amount of them that are complete pricks and will quote any definite stance back at you just to fuel an agenda. Vaguery is the only viable option.

Really? You would rather have vague answers? It's like watching Question Time when listening to an interview with Brailsford. Poor journalism is no excuse for spin doctors! And I don't mean these fellas...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsdy_rct6uo
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    donrhummy wrote:
    I would definitely watch Marianne Vos if they'd show it (especially the Giro Donne) but I can't find anywhere to watch it.

The Giro Donne, Alfredo Binda etc are covered by RAI and you can find them on YouTube the day of the race.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    So with the AA Drink-Leontien.nl team coming to and end this year...
    Armitstead to Dutch team Dolmans-Boels, and Laws to Belgian team Lotto-Belisol.
  • donrhummy wrote:
    I would definitely watch Marianne Vos if they'd show it (especially the Giro Donne) but I can't find anywhere to watch it. I think the best thing they could do is forget TV and instead set up a channel on youtube.

What, like this?

http://www.youtube.com/user/girdon2009

I quite liked the end of this stage, a rare day this season when Vos didn't get her way
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... lY#t=2153s
  • Just heard that Emma Pooley may not be retiring after all (or switching to triathlon) but will instead sign to ride for an Italian team next year.

No word on Cooke, I wouldn't be surprised if she called it a day though.
  • Excellent.

Yes, someboy just texted me and I couldn't find a link.
  • “A PhD all winter isn’t going to make me ride well in the spring”

http://bit.ly/ZlioCY

Emma Pooley explains her choice of team for next year.