The official TrainerRoad thread

Comments

• DW
    I could try that out if I find the time.I`m sure I have read somewhere that TR virtual power is slightly over real power figures.
    This should not be a problem because you are training against "what you were yesterday"
    and not the figure of someone else who`s ride your looking at.consistency is all you need just make sure the tyre pressure is the same each ride and you`ve cracked it.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    DW
    I could try that out if I find the time.I`m sure I have read somewhere that TR virtual power is slightly over real power figures.
    This should not be a problem because you are training against "what you were yesterday"
    and not the figure of someone else who`s ride your looking at.consistency is all you need just make sure the tyre pressure is the same each ride and you`ve cracked it.

Are you still working on 170 ftp?
    My tss score last week was nearly 600, and I genuinely needed 2 full rest days before feeling good again.
    This week have clocked up 200 have a long road session planned tomorrw another inner ring ride to keep the intensity purposely low.
    Following the one of the what I call 'tick over' plans off TR , the weekly average should be 330 or thereabouts.
    It feels just right.
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/71958

No HRM yet but my average was 119 on my cateye :)

Trainer : Elite Volare Mag
    Receiver : Suunto Movestick Mini
    Desktop pc : 4yr old self build. 2.4quad core - 4gb - 1gb video
    ANT+ Speed Cadence Sensor : Wahoo Fitness speed/cadence ( this one can actually be lengthened to provide cadence on recumbent bikes lol)
    ANT+ HR Monitor : Garmin something, monitor is bundled with the Forerunner 405 but ANT+ still

Were you at the max you thought you could sustain for the 20mins? I know there are warmup and rest periods, so avg HR could be low, but I thought the avg would be higher than that. Mine was 131 and my HR only got to 165 during the 20 mins.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • dw300 wrote:
    I know you're all about training, but being able to upload ride data on the fly somehow, and have live races where you challenge your buddies could turn this into a PS3 beater! ;)

Working on it ;)
  • dw300 wrote:
    I know TSS capacity is going to vary slightly from person to person depending how long they've been riding, physical factors, age etc. But I'm slightly unclear as to why the TSS scores per week for the training plans seem pretty low. I know that plenty of people will get into the 200, 300 or 400s for one ride regularly, so I'd assume the training plans would have had higher TSS. I guess it's because most sessions are in the 1-2 hour range and not a 6+ hour weekend ramble?

Try one of the advanced plans for a couple weeks and see if you can hang :). It's all about consistency and time close to threshold day in and day out. Some pros can ride big big days back to back to back, but for us mortals 7 hours a week on the trainer doing intervals will make you into a pretty fit mortal :).
    dw300 wrote:
    Do you have any suggestions for training with a more powerful rider? My FTP is 172 .. i think that's reasonably accurate, but the guy I ride with mostly is around 230, he weighs about 30lbs more. I feel like I'm on the rivet just keeping up with him riding his sweetspot. I usually try and drag him into the hills as much as possible, even though his power to weight is still better, at least I can see him in the distance for longer!

It's all about raising your FTP. As Coggan/Hunter say, the number one predictor to who will win a race is their power to weight ratio. Thus you can either raise your FTP or lose weight. Maybe both! :).
  • Here's a good post from training peaks about TSS scores in the Tour of California and Tour de France.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/ ... rance.aspx

Hardest Stage Measured by Training Stress Score (TSS) Value
    Lill- 361TSS, Stage 6: Big Bear Lake
    Fuglsang- 431TSS, Stage 6: Big Bear Lake
    Sorensen- 391TSS, Stage 7: Barcelone - Andorre Arcalis

Total Accumulated (Eight-Day) TSS Points
    Lill- 2254 TSS total
    Fuglsang- 2192 TSS
    Chris Anker Sorenson- 2152 TSS

Anyone who's got an accurate FTP and is doing around 400 TSS is riding as hard or harder than the top guys in the Tour of California and Tour de France.

That's a BIG day.
  • dw300
    dw300 wrote:
    I know you're all about training, but being able to upload ride data on the fly somehow, and have live races where you challenge your buddies could turn this into a PS3 beater! ;)

Working on it ;)

Sweet .. I'll get started organising the BikeRadar TR Tour!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    dw300 wrote:
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/71958

No HRM yet but my average was 119 on my cateye :)

Trainer : Elite Volare Mag
    Receiver : Suunto Movestick Mini
    Desktop pc : 4yr old self build. 2.4quad core - 4gb - 1gb video
    ANT+ Speed Cadence Sensor : Wahoo Fitness speed/cadence ( this one can actually be lengthened to provide cadence on recumbent bikes lol)
    ANT+ HR Monitor : Garmin something, monitor is bundled with the Forerunner 405 but ANT+ still

Were you at the max you thought you could sustain for the 20mins? I know there are warmup and rest periods, so avg HR could be low, but I thought the avg would be higher than that. Mine was 131 and my HR only got to 165 during the 20 mins.
    I could have went harder tbh. I just checked, 162 max
  • MY 470 TSS ride was 100 miles that took 6hrs in the yorkshire national park where hills are hills and the sheep are nervous HAHA.
    Last weekends club run was 85 miles TSS 367 yorkshire dales again but a softer run with less speed bumps pretty good avg speed though lol.

If these seem far to high maybe I should rest and retest?
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    An FTP of 170w seems a bit on the low side to me........
  • Things have got mixed up danowat lol.i have never said my FTP is 170.
    My FTP is more like 270 lol oh how confused am I now hehe.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    You've increased your FTP by 100w? Impressive
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Dubcat wrote:
    Thanks - it is the tacx tyre and definitely rolls smooth. Now I need to decide whether I buy the GSC10 + Garmin ANT+ stick or buy an edge500 bundle. I already have a forerunner 210 - I REALLY wish I had just got the 910XT now. Oh well.

Wahoo Fitness speed/cad + Suunto movestick mini. Cheaper than garmins offerings unless you bundle it all up.
  • danowat wrote:
    You've increased your FTP by 100w? Impressive

Thanks and yes I have up`d my FTP by almost 100W It hasn`t been a fairy tale story it`s been hard blooming work but I want it!!! their are some very fit and very fast climbers in our club and I want to be up their next season!
    More hard work is needed!!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    TR doesn't seem to like the Garmin HRM when paired through the Movestick, it becomes extremely laggy and refuses to load workouts.

Ever came across this Nate? My phone (SE Xperia Neo) is ANT compatible out of the box and it pairs faultlessly in Endomondo and Mapmyride
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    I am a 'long time' TR user. Love it.

Been off the trainer for a few weeks due to the light evenings, better (?) weather and in my (post event) off season. But spent a lott of the winter/spring on my trainer and will be back soon...

Setup...
    TR User : RichA
    Trainer : Taxc Flow
    Receiver : Garmin Stick
    Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1525
    Power / Cadence: Quarq
    HR : Garmin

My favoured set up is the horizontal bar accross the bottom and an episode of Homeland or The Wire...
    Rich
  • TR doesn't seem to like the Garmin HRM when paired through the Movestick, it becomes extremely laggy and refuses to load workouts.

Ever came across this Nate? My phone (SE Xperia Neo) is ANT compatible out of the box and it pairs faultlessly in Endomondo and Mapmyride

Hey,

No I haven't. Can you e-mail us at support@trainerroad.com? We'll turn on some logging to see what's going on. The program that receives ANT data is super light weight, so it shouldn't be bogging down anything. I'm sure we can figure it out though.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    TR doesn't seem to like the Garmin HRM when paired through the Movestick, it becomes extremely laggy and refuses to load workouts.

Hey,

No I haven't. Can you e-mail us at support@trainerroad.com? We'll turn on some logging to see what's going on. The program that receives ANT data is super light weight, so it shouldn't be bogging down anything. I'm sure we can figure it out though.
    Will do :wink:

-suggestion-
    Would it be possible to add an intensity field to the profile so that all workouts automatically default to 120% for example, but keep the on the fly adjustment during?
  • dw300

Hey,

Will do :wink:

-suggestion-
    Would it be possible to add an intensity field to the profile so that all workouts automatically default to 120% for example, but keep the on the fly adjustment during?

Sadist. ;)
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • jgsi
    You can do this already.
    There is an up and down arrow on the TR applet to increase or reduce by whatever % , the target power.
    I use when I want to use a good workout but have it at recovery level of if you reference this ride,
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/70854
    I had to drop it for the 2nd half, and still I couldnt cope too well!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    JGSI wrote:
    You can do this already.
    There is an up and down arrow on the TR applet to increase or reduce by whatever % , the target power.
    I use when I want to use a good workout but have it at recovery level of if you reference this ride,
    http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/70854
    I had to drop it for the 2nd half, and still I couldnt cope too well!
    Yes, and you have to increase/decrease this each time you load a workout. Loading a default set % would be handy
  • jgsi
    Are you finding the workouts too easy?
    Maybe underestimating FTP...
    I have come off a hard season racing but consider mine at 260 , in need of improving significantly, but as I only now have 2 races left , I am biding my time and making improvements over a longer phase for 2013... but I want to see it nudging 300 for the start of next season.

So, unless I specifically choose a recovery ride, then each of the workouts has been on the button for intensity... even HellHath which has a disclaimer for probably needing a bucket to get thru it.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    JGSI wrote:
    Are you finding the workouts too easy?
    Maybe underestimating FTP...
    I have come off a hard season racing but consider mine at 260 , in need of improving significantly, but as I only now have 2 races left , I am biding my time and making improvements over a longer phase for 2013... but I want to see it nudging 300 for the start of next season.

So, unless I specifically choose a recovery ride, then each of the workouts has been on the button for intensity... even HellHath which has a disclaimer for probably needing a bucket to get thru it.
    Honestly I can't say either way,just happened to notice it reset to 100% each time I loaded a workout.

Maybe I'm just lazy :lol:
  • jgsi
    No, it's me thats been lazy and thus that's why TR is such a bonus to actually train the right way for the first time with all the bloomin guesswork out of the equation...
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    JGSI wrote:
    No, it's me thats been lazy and thus that's why TR is such a bonus to actually train the right way for the first time with all the bloomin guesswork out of the equation...
    You're honest about it lol!

The last interval was a killer!! http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/72335
  • dw300
    What does TMHNET stand for anyway?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:
    What does TMHNET stand for anyway?

Too Many Hobbies Not Enough Time

I dunno was bored that day :lol:
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    edited August 2012
    For the uninitiated Trainer Road (which shall be referred to as TR from now onwards) is a Windows and Mac compatible software designed to make turbo trainer workouts a little more challenging. The software itself relies wholly upon ANT+ technology to provide the real-time feedback during a workout.

There are 3 ways in which to do and record a workout with TR

ANT+ Power meters: (Quarq , PowerTap , SRM , Power2Max, Garmin Vector, Zone, etc) or a CompuTrainer.

Heart Rate: ANT+ HR Strap (Garmin , Cycleops, Wahoo Fitness , etc)

Virtual Power: ANT+ Speed Sensor - Garmin GSC10, Wahoo Fitness Speed and Cadence Sensor

***All three methods require a USB ANT+ receiver stick. Garmin make one as do Suunto(Movestick mini)***

And a compatible Turbo Trainer: List here

Virtual Power(commonly used by TR users here on BR) takes the known power curve from a listed trainer and through your ANT+ speed sensor turns this into an approximate figure in watts. This figure is then used as you follow the onscreen instructions and prompts during a workout.
    With VirtualPower™, we are effectively measuring power at the trainer. That means that any variance in the drive train between your pedals and the trainer can have an effect. When training with VirtualPower, make sure your tire pressure and tension against the wheel are the same each time you ride. This will give you consistent power readings.

Different tensions on the wheel effect rolling resistance and can skew your readings. The important thing is to have consistent and repeatable readings to train with. That's why having the same tension on your tire and the same tire pressure each ride is important.

So once you have the hardware you chose fitted it's time to download TR and begin the very easy setup process. The first time you load the program is will take a few seconds to download workout files.

You can then go to this screen if you have your USB ANT+ stick plugged in and installed. I've already used TR so my sensors have been paired already but haven't been woken up.

trprepair.jpg

A quick spin of my cranks (bike is on other side of room) wakes up the Wahoo speed/cadence sensor fitted. The HRM will pair itself once a heartbeat is detected.
    sensorpaired.jpg

Note: I have my trainer and resistance level selected in this same window.

With devices paired it's almost time to do a workout(theres plenty of them!) But some other minor stuff first.

Click on the "Profile" tab.
    profile.JPG

For most purposes you would want to be training with FTP, this by default is set to 200 which can be lower or higher for you. As you can see mine is currently 220

LTHR: Is a pretty random number as I was having problems with a known bug.

Power smoothing: This option stabilizes the figures as an average during a workout. You can have none, 3secs or 5secs.

The last important option is "Don't use cadence to play and pause workouts". This option ticked will start a workout once you hit the start button, if you use cadence(above 60rpm) starts the workout and 0 rpm pauses the workout. A handy feature if you break your bike like I did yesterday :P (this was not any fault of TR or the trainer :) )

Workout screen: The gold stars are workouts that I have favourited,these will remain at the top of the window. I'm currently doing the intermediate base plan and Baxter is my next ride so it's there waiting. You can open and view a workout by clicking the graph or by using the Open button when you are viewing the details of the workout.

workoutfavourites.jpg

A sensible place to start is with the 20 minute test. This is 1 hour long with a 20 minute max effort segment. This segment is used to calculate your FTP (the maximum power you can sustain for 1hr) After you have done this, TR will give you a recommendation as to what it thinks your FTP should be set to. As you will see soon,this setting scales all workouts for you.

Here is the result: Although it suggested 201 I made it a little higher anyway.

completetest.jpg

Down to business:

workoutwindow.jpg

I've taken the liberty of highlighting 6 fields to explain a little further so onto the 3 upper left of the window:

Power: This is the current power that is being calculated

Bold red line: When this bar is green you are in the sweet spot either side of the target.

Target power: This is the target for you to achieve during a particular segment. As a segment is either beginning or ending, loud bleeps and onscreen instructions tell you what to do. Watch for this target power figure changing as you go

Heart rate and cadence are a given. If you don't have an HRM paired this field won't show.

Across the middle of the workout is a thick white line. This is my FTP and the workout has scaled around that. The highest peak you see corresponds to 352watts for 30 seconds into a 5minute recovery period of 88watt target. This ramps up to the first 8minute segment @ 253watt target.

Bottom left: This option makes TR stay on top of anything else you are doing,handy for watching fullscreen dvd's, youtube, netflix and so on.

The up/down arrows:
    This option changes the intensity of your workout on the fly. 100% is your current FTP so if a workout is too easy, turn it up and likewise turn it down if it's too hard.

The other awesomeness in TR is compatibility with SufferFest. Currently I only have Hell Hath No Fury and here it is,fully integrated with TR.

hhnf.jpg

The workouts you do will then be listed under the "Career" tab within which you can share via Facebook,download and review the data.

career.jpg
  • dw300
    To Much Time, Not Enough Hobbies!

Good post!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:
    To Much Time, Not Enough Hobbies!

Good post!
    Tis Sunday, it's a rest day :lol::lol: