The official TrainerRoad thread

Comments

• mikey2341 wrote:
    I can't wait to have a go on this as soon as I get a turbo, would the cycleops jel fluid pro be a good place to start?
    YES :)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    dw300 wrote:
    Can you not 'follow' people on TR?

Nate from TrainerRoad here. You can't follow people on TrainerRoad, but that sounds really cool! :) We should do that :).

Would you want notices of their rides sent to you? Or more like a "buddy" list where you can see a ride feed of all of the people you follow? I'm thinking the latter.

It's great to see a software developer such a keen interest in their product!
    Welcome indeed!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    As posted earlier I found with the help of Ray of dcrainmaker blog, a slightly cheaper way to go ANT+

Garmin GSC10 £43

Garmin ANT+ USB Stick £31

Or

Suunto Movestick USB ANT+ £29.99

Wahoo Speed/Cadence £31.62

^Purchasing these when my pay clears :D and my TR username is Trihardni

Garmin ANT+ HRM £28.54 (Optional)
  • THMNET your user name isnt showing anything in the rides Page?
    DW300 it`s been 5 days since your last ride on TR come on lad no pain no gain hehe.
  • jgsi
    If he's like me, Sunday's ride needed 48 hours recovery!
    Tip of the week,
    if you use Sufferfest and download HellhathnoFury and use it, make sure you have plenty in the tank.
    I have used Sufferfests for over a year and this is probably the hardest I have trained to.
    it is essentially 2 x FTP tests on the bounce and then some more.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Havent used it yet,waiting on the hardware
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    THMNET your user name isnt showing anything in the rides Page?
    DW300 it`s been 5 days since your last ride on TR come on lad no pain no gain hehe.

Lol .. I did get out on the road on Saturday and Sunday. I did a recovery session last night to see what that felt like. My legs hurt today and I'm not sure whether it's cumulative fatigue or DOMS from Sunday.

Do you guys count your TSS? I'm on 460 since Thursday (5 days). I'm trying to work out how many I can do in a week and recover ok. Then work in 4 week blocks at gradually increasing percentages (up to 100 or maybe 105). I'm thinking that might work slightly better than just hours or miles.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Dw I have a Powertap and on Saturdays club run the TSS 369
    Yesterday I trained on TR in the afternoon
    Then at 5 30 went for a 80k bike ride up in them their hills!!
    Yes my legs were sore before the evening ride but you'll be surprised what the body can withstand.
    I read a post a while ago by sbezza on this forum about training with tired legs and how you can over come it and reap the rewards.
    So when you think you done enough do about more Lol.
    Even Graham Obree said something like that on the cycling show the other week.
    Maybe you could find a tempo or sweets pot ride on TR for when you don't feel as strong??
    Pain is tempory glory lasts for ever!!!!!
    And who ever come up with that saying lied!!
    It never stops !!!!
  • dw300
    Dw I have a Powertap and on Saturdays club run the TSS 369
    Yes my legs were sore before the evening ride but you'll be surprised what the body can withstand.
    I read a post a while ago by sbezza on this forum about training with tired legs and how you can over come it and reap the rewards.
    Maybe you could find a tempo or sweets pot ride on TR for when you don't feel as strong??
    It never stops !!!!

Excellent, this is exactly what I want to be hearing. I think the great thing about Strava and TR and the like is that you see exactly how little effort you are putting in compared to some people!

I know TSS capacity is going to vary slightly from person to person depending how long they've been riding, physical factors, age etc. But I'm slightly unclear as to why the TSS scores per week for the training plans seem pretty low. I know that plenty of people will get into the 200, 300 or 400s for one ride regularly, so I'd assume the training plans would have had higher TSS. I guess it's because most sessions are in the 1-2 hour range and not a 6+ hour weekend ramble?

Do you have any suggestions for training with a more powerful rider? My FTP is 172 .. i think that's reasonably accurate, but the guy I ride with mostly is around 230, he weighs about 30lbs more. I feel like I'm on the rivet just keeping up with him riding his sweetspot. I usually try and drag him into the hills as much as possible, even though his power to weight is still better, at least I can see him in the distance for longer!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Well when I first ever did an FTP test it was roughly 170.1st Jan this year I`m nearly 40.I not bragging I`m just saying with work it will come better.
    I used a cycling coach following a strict training plan.
    The plan started with a turbo ride (FTP raising) Tuesday and Thursday, big road ride Saturday and recovery on Sunday.
    Consistent training will deliver consistent results is what my coach tells me.
    So do the 20 minute plan on trainer road.Or do a slightly modified one.
    Tuesday and Thursday using rides from the 20 minute plan because these rides are designed to raise your FTP.
    Still go out on the road with your friends and rip it up!!
    Remember these FTP raising rides hurt like hell regardless of your FTP so your not on your own where pain is concerned.Just push through the pain using Music and be aggressive with your thoughts and imagination not giving in to the pain in your legs.
    I will be checking your rides out on TR and I bet if your consistent you can hit 200 in 6 weeks.
    How old are you?
    I do hope I`m not coming across as a clever ar$e or a wanna be coach I`m just trying to share what having a Coach has done for me. :) I aint no Bradley Wiggins even though I do have the side burns haha. :oops:
    P`s I left you a comment on your todays ride on TR :wink:
  • dw300
    I just had a look at my first Strava ride .. http://app.strava.com/rides/9451477

And compared it to my most recent .. http://app.strava.com/rides/16625877

I'm up about 25W for a 3hr ride in 11 weeks. I don't know how that would equate to my FTP .. You can also see that my short term power 1-5mins is up significantly. I'm currently at 2.5FTP/kg

But yeh, I'll have a look at the power building workouts. I'm 33 by the way. I'm actually not working at the moment due to redundancy, so I have a lot of time to train, I just need to try and balance it with rides with my friends. I also don't mind the free advice for the same reason. ;)
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • I`ve checked your Strava and your certainly improving.
    I`m also following you now On Strava.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Just need Cad/Speed sensor and HRM to arrive! Love how small the Suunto Movestick is!

dsc0085ow.jpg
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    Guys - bit of a silly question here but can i use TR on my mountain bike? I have a cheap ebay wheel with a trainer tyre which i use when mounting my MTB on my TACX turbo trainer.

If I train on my MTB will this have good benefits for when I ride a road bike? I don't want to put my road bike on the turbo trainer.

Thanks.
    Dub.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    As long as the tyre rolls smooth and you have minimum of ANT+ speed/cadence sensor then yes, the bike type really isn't relevant.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    Thanks - it is the tacx tyre and definitely rolls smooth. Now I need to decide whether I buy the GSC10 + Garmin ANT+ stick or buy an edge500 bundle. I already have a forerunner 210 - I REALLY wish I had just got the 910XT now. Oh well.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Just need Cad/Speed sensor and HRM to arrive! Love how small the Suunto Movestick is!

dsc0085ow.jpg

WOW don`t put that down you`ll lose it! So small compared to Garmin stick
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Just need Cad/Speed sensor and HRM to arrive! Love how small the Suunto Movestick is!

dsc0085ow.jpg

WOW don`t put that down you`ll lose it! So small compared to Garmin stick
    I plugged it in and let the generic USB ANT+ drivers install. It's safer in a port than lying on my desk lol!
  • dw300
    Wow, that's a tiny USB stump. Mind out it doesnt disappear inside your computer!

I'll follow you too whojan, cheers.

My usual cycing buddy is heading to Switzerland for some high altitude training next Tuesday. The rest of his family seem to be under the impression that it's a holiday! But anyway .. I'm hoping desperately for some highly localised rain in my area for that week so I can do some structured training with TR, and see where I'm at.

Gona really push my buddy when he gets back on our 20 minute TT, and see how being in the Alps for a week helps him.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • Sounds like your buddy will be going well when he comes home with the high altitude stuff!!!
    Work hard on TR while he`s away otherwise he will be dropping you LOL.
    Yeah follow me on Strava.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Hardwares arrived,test data to follow.

Fitted and functioning perfectly!
  • dw300

Cane it!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    dw300 wrote:
    Dw I have a Powertap and on Saturdays club run the TSS 369
    It never stops !!!!

Excellent, this is exactly what I want to be hearing. I think the great thing about Strava and TR and the like is that you see exactly how little effort you are putting in compared to some people!

I know TSS capacity is going to vary slightly from person to person depending how long they've been riding, physical factors, age etc. But I'm slightly unclear as to why the TSS scores per week for the training plans seem pretty low. I know that plenty of people will get into the 200, 300 or 400s for one ride regularly, so I'd assume the training plans would have had higher TSS. I guess it's because most sessions are in the 1-2 hour range and not a 6+ hour weekend ramble?

Do you have any suggestions for training with a more powerful rider? My FTP is 172 .. i think that's reasonably accurate, but the guy I ride with mostly is around 230, he weighs about 30lbs more. I feel like I'm on the rivet just keeping up with him riding his sweetspot. I usually try and drag him into the hills as much as possible, even though his power to weight is still better, at least I can see him in the distance for longer!

TSS is a good indicator of just how far the power measurements are out, "people are regularly riding 400TSS"?, really, that's a HECK of a ride, my TSS for a 12hr TT is "only" 530TSS.
    Remember that 100TSS is an hour at threshold (or FTP), so it's an hour pretty much as hard as you can.......
    FTP isn't something you can guess, it is what it is, all this "virtual power" is just a random number generator.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    edited August 2012
    dw300 wrote:

Cane it!

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/71958

No HRM yet but my average was 119 on my cateye :)

Trainer : Elite Volare Mag
    Receiver : Suunto Movestick Mini
    Desktop pc : 4yr old self build. 2.4quad core - 4gb - 1gb video
    ANT+ Speed Cadence Sensor : Wahoo Fitness speed/cadence ( this one can actually be lengthened to provide cadence on recumbent bikes lol)
    ANT+ HR Monitor : Garmin something, monitor is bundled with the Forerunner 405 but ANT+ still
  • jgsi
    danowat wrote:
    TSS is a good indicator of just how far the power measurements are out, "people are regularly riding 400TSS"?, really, that's a HECK of a ride, my TSS for a 12hr TT is "only" 530TSS.
    Remember that 100TSS is an hour at threshold (or FTP), so it's an hour pretty much as hard as you can.......
    FTP isn't something you can guess, it is what it is, all this "virtual power" is just a random number generator.

I reckon my own tss scores , calibrated from using TR and this as well from Training Peaks
    PSBln.jpg
    are pretty spot on.
    No way would I think about estimating even a race at tss levels you have pointed to.
    My 75 miler in Staffs/Derby hils was only just over 200 I reckon.
    People are probably going a bit daft with bigger tss values.
  • Danowat
    I don`t quite understand what your saying here about some people claiming 400 TSS rides.Some of the Saturday club runs I have done have a TSS of 450+ I use a power tap have a coach and can prove it through Trainingpeaks.
    If I have misunderstood you then I APOLOGISE in advance LOL.
    If I have`nt and your directing that claim at me then I bet you £1000!!
    I can prove it!! 450+ TSS on club runs on some saturdays.
  • dw300
    danowat wrote:

His powertap told him that his Sunday club ride was in the region of 370 .. he wasn't talking about TR. Plenty of Sunday rides are 4-6 hours broken into two halves going 80-85% FTP, I don't see why 400 would be so unattainable.

I can't imagine riding my bike for 12 hours .. i'd imagine it would be an fairly low intensity ride for the most part .. it's a huge economy drive. I presume it's done on a TT bike too, meaning you go faster with less power.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    My point is, overated TSS is a good sign of incorrect FTP, two rides of 200TSS don't add up to a 400TSS ride :P

How long are these 450TSS rides?, as that is a 4.5hr ride at threshold, link to the ride?, I'd be interested to see it.

12hr TT was ridden at the top end of Z2, with the final 2hr's at the low end of Z3, as for faster with less power, power is what it is, I'd have ridden the exact same power if I were on a road bike.
  • dw300
    Has anyone using trainer road that has a powermeter ridden using virtual power on TR and power on their bike computer to check the difference simultaneously?
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • MY 470 TSS ride was 100 miles that took 6hrs in the yorkshire national park where hills are hills and the sheep are nervous HAHA.
    Last weekends club run was 85 miles TSS 367 yorkshire dales again but a softer run with less speed bumps pretty good avg speed though lol.