The Olmypics thread *spoilers*

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    9.56, Blake.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Greg66 wrote:
    Did I mention: I was there last night? No? Oh, well I was. It was good. Like "seminal moments you take to your grave good".

Just wanted to share. :mrgreen:

Watching Mo hit the front and hold it to the finish, with 80,000 people going mental, is probably the best thing I have seen live at a sporting event. Great night to choose for my only trip to the Olympic Park.

#satisfiedpunter
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    C'mon Ireland. Any sport. Any medal. Just one will do!

BBC wrote:
    Ireland have their first medal of the Games after bantamweight John Joe Nevin holds off a late surge from Mexico's Oscar Valdez Fierro to win through to the semi-finals

There's always the boxing :):):)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    cjcp wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    It was good. Like "seminal moments you take to your grave good".

My "I was there" moment was the 2005 Champions League final in Istanbul. =)

Awesome. I was stuck in work for reasons I will forever remain unhappy about. I'm a Liverpool fan, too, so wasn't happy.

Can you believe some people left at half time? OK, we were 0-3 down, but... I was too busy singing YNWA and "we're gonna win 4-3." :D Such a wonderfully emotional experience, made even better by being plunged so deeply into depression during the first half.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Bolts going to win it... I'm nervous.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Bailey was wearing his pjs. Don't turn up to an Oly final in your pjs.

Props to CJ for the winning bet!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :D

Rounded down to 9.63 though. Doh!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    TWH jr - "Is he faster than God?"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    BOOM!
  • tailwindhome
    3 golds at age 24!

Wow!
  • It looks like not everyone is quite so happy in the British Cycling camp:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19147279

(Wendy Houvenaghel has criticised her GB team-mates and coach Shane Sutton after missing out on a gold medal)

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Do open water swimmers and runners guffaw at the triathletes like cyclists do?
  • rick_chasey
    Well.

Just tuned in for a second to see what was happening, and one of them just stacked it going over a speed bump on their bike - took out the guy behind too.
    :roll:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Do open water swimmers and runners guffaw at the triathletes like cyclists do?

Under 30 mins for a 10k run. I wouldn't guffaw at that.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    If we get a gold are more people going to be ruining a good ride with a run and a swim?
  • clarkey cat
    excuse my ignorance but I thought the cycle element of a triathlon was meant to be a time-trial with no draft zones?
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    excuse my ignorance but I thought the cycle element of a triathlon was meant to be a time-trial with no draft zones?

Olympic rules are different, according to BBC
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    vermin wrote:

Olympic rules are different, according to BBC

Personally, I think they've ruined their sport. Should be solo.
    Some of the tactics on the bike section are very strange.
    exercise.png
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Run is going well. Jonny has a 15 second penalty for getting on his bike too early which I thought would just be added onto the end, but then I read on the BBC
    Word reaches me that Jonny Brownlee will have to stop at some point on this run and serve out his 15 second time penalty. What a horrible decision to have to make. Still Alistair sets the pace, with Gomez second and Jonny third. The gap to the chasing pack, which includes all three French athletes, is growing by the second.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    pangolin wrote:
    Run is going well. Jonny has a 15 second penalty for getting on his bike too early
    Was he still in the water?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Had it waiting just under the surface at the ramp, swam onto it and cycled triumphantly out of the water like Poseidon himself.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • clarkey cat
    hugely impressive effort from the Brothers there
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739

Hmm, J Brownlee last seen on a drip in a wheelchair, apparently.
  • rick_chasey
    vermin wrote:

*Must. Resist. Urge. As. Pro. Cycling. Fan. To. Not. Make. Doping. Chat.*

*explodes*
  • clarkey cat

I'm not surprised, ruining a nice ride like that.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    It feels like the first time for 10 days that nothing* is happening.

* dressage does not count
    exercise.png
  • tailwindhome
    Katie Taylor

Legend
  • rick_chasey
    Was there at the athletics today (this morning, so no Usain).

Was good.

2 things of note.

#1 - it was bloody hot. Our seats were in the sun all day.

#2 - some people are crazy. Had a women start swearing at me for thinking I'd jumped the queue. (For once, I hadn't! Sat there for bloody 30 minutes behind her for a sodding sandwich). She carried on later on and, no joke, asked me to "step outside" when I asked her not to swear at me and my sister. Later on she was actually waiting for me to come out, while laden with sandwiches and beer for the family and started screaming at me and pulling at my neck. When I kept moving, trying to move on and leave her to it, she then started screaming "I'VE GOT F*CKING CANCER. THAT'S WHY I SWORE AT YOU YOU F*CK".

Fair enough. Cancer or no cancer, she's mental.

In other news. I like female high jumpers even more, and I've got new respect for the decathletes.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,340
    Teehee

Deary me, that Belgian track cyclist looks in a bad way.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Was there at the athletics today (this morning, so no Usain).

Was good.

2 things of note.

#1 - it was bloody hot. Our seats were in the sun all day.

#2 - some people are crazy. Had a women start swearing at me for thinking I'd jumped the queue. (For once, I hadn't! Sat there for bloody 30 minutes behind her for a sodding sandwich). She carried on later on and, no joke, asked me to "step outside" when I asked her not to swear at me and my sister. Later on she was actually waiting for me to come out, while laden with sandwiches and beer for the family and started screaming at me and pulling at my neck. When I kept moving, trying to move on and leave her to it, she then started screaming "I'VE GOT F*CKING CANCER. THAT'S WHY I SWORE AT YOU YOU F*CK".

Fair enough. Cancer or no cancer, she's mental.

In other news. I like female high jumpers even more, and I've got new respect for the decathletes.

I was there this morning. Have some good pics of the high jumpers (for studying form, you understand). Slightly disappointed not to have seen blade runner come by. Found the pole vault competition fascinating.

I was also in the sun. I look like I've been standing with my left side facing a nuclear blast. Kids think it looks hilarious.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A