2013 TdF Mountain Heavy?

Comments

• Gazzetta67 wrote:
    +1 If they are going to use Alpe d Huez then i hope they barrier it off than the usual last 2kms, There are too many halfwits and sozzled fans running alongside...hey look at me am on camera.

If you move the barriers down to 4km from the finish, the fans who want to run alongside or wave to the camera will move down to 5km. They might be sozzled, but they aren't stupid.
  • hammerite wrote:
    I don't think it matters too much about alternative terrain available, AdH are prepared to stick up the money to host a finish every couple of years, logistically it's a well rehearsed routine, I guess for ASO it wins on all accounts.

I think this is it really. If the resort is prepared to stump up the cash, then it will keep coming back. It would be nice to see Les Deux Alps used again, but then I have no problem with them using the Alpe. Haven't been there for the Tour since 2008, quite fancy another trip there!
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Maybe they think if they are going to finish on the Alpe then they'll need to barrier off a lot of it - and if they are going to do that then they may as well use it twice and make it worthwhile. Personally I think it's a good idea - a bit of a gimmick but nothing wrong with that - I'd like to see them do multiple ascents of Ventoux too from different sides but maybe they think that would make the descents dangerously congested - they'd have to make sure no vehicles were parked there and how else would you get up there to watch - it's a fair walk.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    tumblr_mb82v3CYz11rcwawho1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Agree with Gazetta . Barrier more of the road and control traffic and fans in the days leading up to it perhaps? The Alpe is interesting as can as the times might say something about cleanliness of TDF/ the sport in that year.

Barriers appeared much further down Alp D'huez the year after this chaos at 15 minutes 20 seconds which poss cost the rider the stage....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429nLMSYqCQ
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    Agree with Gazetta . Barrier more of the road and control traffic and fans in the days elading up to it perhaps?

But it won't make any difference. They barriered at least half the climb for the TT in 2004 and there were still problems. And traffic control won't make any difference either. The vast majority park away from the climb and either walk or cycle onto it. Would it be better if there were no fans on the climb at all?
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Agree with Gazetta . Barrier more of the road and control traffic and fans in the days elading up to it perhaps?

But it won't make any difference. They barriered at least half the climb for the TT in 2004 and there were still problems. And traffic control won't make any difference either. The vast majority park away from the climb and either walk or cycle onto it. Would it be better if there were no fans on the climb at all?

Well, no fans on the climb at all would lead to unrest maybe ..would fans would climb their way in from hill sides to watch. Perhaps they should start controlling the road traffic in the days leading up..any non-registered to Alpe' D'huez addresses, or non-commercial traffic and camper vans, be stopped from entering the climb from either end and then control the crowds which pour in from both ends in the 24hrs up to the race? Just thinking greasedscotsman...how else can they keep the Alpe in the race?
  • frenchfighter
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Agree with Gazetta . Barrier more of the road and control traffic and fans in the days leading up to it perhaps? The Alpe is interesting as can as the times might say something about cleanliness of TDF/ the sport in that year.

Barriers appeared much further down Alp D'huez the year after this chaos at 15 minutes 20 seconds which poss cost the rider the stage....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429nLMSYqCQ

Amount of motos in there is ridiculous and totally unsafe. It still surprises me that these motos are allowed to ride so close and fast to fans. They, along with the stupid cars totally dampen any experience I have had beside the road live.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave_1
    Dave_1 wrote:

Amount of motos in there is ridiculous and totally unsafe. It still surprises me that these motos are allowed to ride so close and fast to fans. They, along with the stupid cars totally dampen any experience I have had beside the road live.

Yes, it's dangerous for fans and some have been killed by TDF traffice. Is it time for some sort of ticketing to get onto the Alpe? How to make it safer?
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited October 2012
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Yes, it's dangerous for fans and some have been killed by TDF traffice. Is it time for some sort of ticketing to get onto the Alpe? How to make it safer?

That would be a sad day for cycling if ticketing was introduced. One things I like about bike racing compared to other sports is that if you are prepared to turn up early enough, you can watch where you like.

And I'm not sure the business owners on the Alpe would be too happy with restricting fans on the climb. They want fans to turn up. Even better if they are there for a few days or even a week before. It sort of goes against the reason why the Alpe would pay all the money they do to get the race to go there.

Most of the accidents that happen with fans are with the publicity caravan. Kids running out in front of cars to get some free crap of some sort. The caravan doesn't go that fast on the Alpe, don't think there is much of a risk there.

But FF is right about the amount of cars and vans that the Tour uses. When you go and see the race, there are cars going past all day. Do all these people really need to be on the race? Probably not. The ASO could defo do something about that.

The best way to limit the number of people trying to get to the climb is not to make it the focal point of the race. Having it on the Friday as it was in 2011 wasn't a great idea. Galibier stage the day before and Grenoble TT the day after was always going to attract lots of fans due to the close proximity. Spread it all out a bit. Throw in some big stages before and after the Alpe, give the fans something else to go to. Double ascent of the Alpe is a bad idea!
  • If the gendarmes spent a little more time actually controlling the crowds on climbs rather than flirting with the female spectators it would also be helpful - they do bugger all in the way of crowd contol
  • Nick Fitt
    Nick Fitt Posts: 381
    If the gendarmes spent a little more time actually controlling the crowds on climbs rather than flirting with the female spectators it would also be helpful - they do bugger all in the way of crowd contol
    The Gendarmes aren't meant for crowd control, I think its the National police job. Its the chaos that makes the mountain stages for me.
  • Nick Fitt wrote:
    If the gendarmes spent a little more time actually controlling the crowds on climbs rather than flirting with the female spectators it would also be helpful - they do bugger all in the way of crowd contol
    The Gendarmes aren't meant for crowd control, I think its the National police job. Its the chaos that makes the mountain stages for me.

Whatever, the police. You may enjoy the idiots running alongside but some of them do actually present danger to the riders
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited October 2012
    I think some of you are overreacting a bit here. It's has been very limited with episodes of tragic character because of safety issues. How many have been killed or severely injuried by traffic on the acents..? The motorbikes go with like 20-25 km/h.. I really don't think there's a problem with a mountain packed with spectators other than it being a logistic nightmare - but so is parking a car to a local football game.

Full barrier set up and especially ticketing would be the beginning of a slow death to the sport.

Obviously, the safety of the riders is a different matter. But again, I really think it's limited with episodes where spectators were a major concern and caused an accident. I do have a slight problem with spectators running alongside the riders, mind you.

Unless you are an idiot dressed up like a f'ucking squirrel in California, with no intentions what so ever but taking the p*ss of the sport, there shouldn't be restrictions for you to turn up and cheer. You get 2 seconds of a rider fighting his way up a mountain - the experience gets no better 2 meter further away from the riders behind barriers with in mind that you had to kick in some money for it as well.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    RR - my comment on the previous page about finish at AdH was about a stage finish not the race finish.

Agree about the amount of vehicles. We'd been sat/stood out all day and Jnr missed the race sulking against the wall after we told him to step back so he didn't get a whack on the head from a bike/car wing mirror! We must've had the most diligent copper in France near us, if you so much as farted he blew a whistle in your ear telling you to stop, didn't see him eat or drink all day and didn't interact with the crowd.
  • hammerite wrote:
    We must've had the most diligent copper in France near us, if you so much as farted he blew a whistle in your ear telling you to stop, didn't see him eat or drink all day and didn't interact with the crowd.

The task of the day at the Boulogne stage this year was to see if we could make the Gendarme by us laugh. Managed to get a smile out of him, but not a laugh... :D
  • hammerite wrote:
    RR - my comment on the previous page about finish at AdH was about a stage finish not the race finish.

Agree about the amount of vehicles. We'd been sat/stood out all day and Jnr missed the race sulking against the wall after we told him to step back so he didn't get a whack on the head from a bike/car wing mirror! We must've had the most diligent copper in France near us, if you so much as farted he blew a whistle in your ear telling you to stop, didn't see him eat or drink all day and didn't interact with the crowd.

Ah, my bad. I swear to God, at this year's Prologue the copper closest to us near the start ramp must have flirted with this girl oblivious to anything else for a straight 2 hours...vive l'amour, I guess!
  • frenchfighter
    Issues re actual deaths/injury are there, but I was leaning more towards the fact when you are there and the idiot news cars and follow ons and 500 motos make so much noise, so much pollution, so much sense of danger. It feels shoot and unlike anything that is romantic about the sport.

In front of Quintana when he won this weekend there were about 8 police motos in front of him. WTF?!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    In front of Quintana when he won this weekend there were about 8 police motos in front of him. WTF?!

That seems a bit much I'll admit.
  • ThomThom wrote:

That seems a bit much I'll admit.

Mens Olympic RR this year - at least 15 motos in front, no exaggeration
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I was spectating at a couple of the Vuelta stages this year and there seemed to be more police motos go past than riders in the race. The Spanish police really do like there motorbikes.
  • huge numbers of motos in the TOB stage I went to this year,
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Is that correct about the causeway to Mont St Michel not being affected by the tide? I always thought it was from previous uses in the Tour and that this was the reason it could be so slippery.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited October 2012
    Pross wrote:
    Is that correct about the causeway to Mont St Michel not being affected by the tide? I always thought it was from previous uses in the Tour and that this was the reason it could be so slippery.

Maybe the early starters will have to swim to the finish line!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    I can think of one ex-pro that might make a comeback if that's the case ;)
  • Pross wrote:

Is that because he can walk on water?
  • Pross wrote:

Never mind that old fraud, the current pro for this is Richie Porte - swimmer, triathlete, before focusing on the bike - nickname 'The Fish' from his Saxo days.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Pross wrote:
    It is correct.
    It's got a regular tarmac road with adjacent long thin car park.

You are probably thinking of a mix of the Ile de Noirmoutier, just south of St Nazaire and St Michaels Mount in Cornwall. Both have a tidal causeway, and the Noirmoutier one has been the cause of a very crash prone stage.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think in the past Mont St Michel may have had a tidal causeway - I seem to remember something about the road causing sanding up of the bay and in time it will no longer be an island unless they reestablish a flow of water.

The Ile de Noirmoutier one is the Passage du Gois isn't it ? From memory wasn't that instrumental in Armstrong winning his first Tour - one of other favourites was involved in a crash there and Armstrong pushed on.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.