2013 TdF Mountain Heavy?

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2012 in Pro race
Prudhomme has said in l'equipe that Nairo Quintana is the type of rider who can excel in next years Tour.

Yay!
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    As long as Ventoux makes a return I'll be happy as larry. But yeh, for the 100th Tour you've got to expect that there'll be some stages which will leave the sprinters crying.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Two circles of Death plus the Ventoux? Pic du Midi would be great too but is that road still there?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Contador to smash the hell out of it then.
  • iainf72

Quintana is the new Contador.

I suspect ASO have realised this "we'll give them a route and it's up to the riders to make it exciting" stuff just doesn't work. You need a route that breaks people.
  • ddraver
    Well ...really? The Giro tried that and all it did was turn it into a snooze fest as the riders just put the Apex cassette on and spun up...
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

I suspect ASO have realised this "we'll give them a route and it's up to the riders to make it exciting" stuff just doesn't work. You need a route that breaks people.

I've never heard of Quintana.

Can't be that good.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    iainf72 wrote:

Can't be that good.

Or you can't be! :D

(So, who is he again?)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

Can't be that good.

(So, who is he again?)

So while everyone talks about how epic it was Wiggins won the Dauphine, no one actually watched the race? :P
  • greasedscotsman
    iainf72 wrote:
    So while everyone talks about how epic it was Wiggins won the Dauphine, no one actually watched the race? :P

Oh, I just tune in to the Tour! :D
  • iainf72
    edited July 2012
    ddraver wrote:
    Well ...really? The Giro tried that and all it did was turn it into a snooze fest as the riders just put the Apex cassette on and spun up...

You are right. There needs to be some balance. With the Tour though, no one will really take risks. It's more important to defend your 7th spot or whatever.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Can't be that good.

(So, who is he again?)

I missed stage 6 I think

I'm guessing that'll be the one he won?
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Haha yeah it was. He also won the Route Du Sud.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah, just had a look at his palmares.

Sure this isn't a ploy to big up the Tour de l'Avenir?
  • iainf72
    Ah, just had a look at his palmares.

Sure this isn't a ploy to big up the Tour de l'Avenir?

No, he seriously is considered the next Contador.

Some of the French commentators were asked yesterday who would win the Tour next year and 2 of them said he would (the other said Froome, the other Contador)

Prudhomme probably also wants a South American winner for marketing purposes
  • BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    From the suggestions I've seen of next year's route it's pretty much mountains from the off so the GC contenders will be playing catch up to the pure climbers, then Mt Ventoux some time in the middle and the Pyrenees and Alps in quick succession just before Paris.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    I hope it's hilly and Wiggins wins it just to show he can. As long as there are still a couple of TTs I think he will assuming he keeps the form of this season.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Yeh it's going to be a mountain fest I reckon. Hope so anyway: http://www.velopeloton.com/2013-tour-de-france-route/
    100th Tour will definitely go to the Alpe you'd think.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2012
    Yeah go Quinta. The only guy who held off the SKY Corporate train to take a huge win. No slouch on the descents.

322-PIC285946888.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Luz Ardiden too?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Only one thing is certain at this point. Whatever route they pick we will still all moan that it's too easy/too hard/too many TT KMs/not enough TT miles/not as good as the Giro (delete as appropriate).

Can't wait.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • ddraver
    Oh damn right, but you know it's fun to belive....
    - @ddraver
  • inkyfingers
    ddraver wrote:
    Oh damn right, but you know it's fun to belive....

I wasn't actually being sarcastic, i really can't wait.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • rick_chasey
    Won't be as dry as this year's Tour, that's for sure.

Barely any rain. Bit of mist maybe.
  • inkyfingers

Had an idle thought whilst watching the final stage last night...when was the last time it rained on the final day in Paris? All my memories of the racing/podium ceremonies are in the sunshine.
  • greasedscotsman
    Bit of mist maybe.

More than a bit of mist where I was on the Saint Quentin stage!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Sonny73 wrote:
    Yeh it's going to be a mountain fest I reckon. Hope so anyway: http://www.velopeloton.com/2013-tour-de-france-route/
    100th Tour will definitely go to the Alpe you'd think.
    When the TdF was in the Alps this year, the local paper was saying that in 2013 or 2014 a stage finish at the top of Col d’Iseran was on the cards.
    Local towns believed to want a stage start or finish in 2013 were Courchevel, Tignes and Bourg-St-Maurice while the newpaper believed Gap, Annecy and Alpe d’Huez would almost certainly have stage finishes next year.

The paper said that currently over 200 towns throughout France have sent in applications to ASO for a stage start or finish, although not all for next year, e.g. in the Alps, St. Martin-de-Belleville for 2014 or 2015, Meribel for 2014.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512

I think Bert might be scared into riding clean now which means less entertainment in the mountains. We know his clen came from his own contaminated blood he transfused , which shows two methods of doping and makes it totally feasible he had used up to 5 substances/methods to boost his performance. But if the others are scared into riding clean now by the decent testing regime nowadays, maybe Bert can still drop Froome as all will be equal.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809

Had an idle thought whilst watching the final stage last night...when was the last time it rained on the final day in Paris? All my memories of the racing/podium ceremonies are in the sunshine.

I think it would have been when Vino won the last stage (2005 maybe)

Not sure if it was heavy rain throughout the stage, but I think they neutralised the stage (and then IIRC reversed that decision when Vino gained enough seconds to move up one place in the GC)
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I think Bert might be scared into riding clean now which means less entertainment in the mountains. We know his clen came from his own contaminated blood he transfused , which shows two methods of doping and makes it totally feasible he had used up to 5 substances/methods to boost his performance. But if the others are scared into riding clean now by the decent testing regime nowadays, maybe Bert can still drop Froome as all will be equal.
    But how do we know, if he lights it up he's doping, if he doesn't then look what he's really like. That's the trouble now, we're divided on how we see him.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The video with Qunit in. Sometime after 1.25 for his attack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7nWgsb ... r_embedded
    Contador is the Greatest