The Northern Ireland Thread. *Warning* May include cake

Comments

• seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    There is also Trappers CC from Belfast. they have a 50 seater bus. on sundays they drive to cushendall and cycle home. They also do 3 and 4 dayers around ireland
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Hello guys,

Nice to see a Northern Ireland thread here.

I'm from the Portadown area, just thought I would say a quick hello.

Andy
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Hi to everyone who's posting in the thread for the first time. :)
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Hello new people. Bout yeeeee?
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Back in a minit, i'm off to 'turn my bike around'.
    You lot haven't a clue. Big Eccles cake for anyone except TMHNET who can translate that one. Have a guess...

Too easy, but then I am armed with a copy of Roger's Profanisaurus. ;)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Added some links in the OP for handiness. Can only have 11 urls so if you have any others I'll add them too :lol:
  • dw300
    Good links .. hadn't noticed those.

Anyone for a drinking game? Take a shot everytime Sean Kelly says the word 'calculation' on Eurosport!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:
    Good links .. hadn't noticed those.

Anyone for a drinking game? Take a shot everytime Sean Kelly says the word 'calculation' on Eurosport!
    Be pissed by the end of the neutral zone
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    I'm still giving this Lough Neagh tour a lot of thought. Anyone else?
  • I'm still giving this Lough Neagh tour a lot of thought. Anyone else?

did it last year in 4h 47m started in at the start time, queues weren't that bad, got gels, water and hot food at the end, would have seriously thought of doing it this year except for a back injury at Christmas so couldn't commit to doing it, good enough if a bit expensive
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    I'm still giving this Lough Neagh tour a lot of thought. Anyone else?

Absolutely up for it but I won't know until the week before if I'm off work. Stupid job but can't complain too much as I'm lucky to be working...
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • dw300
    Roger that. If my usual riding buddies think they're fit enough!

I did Lap the Lough last year and bonked at 50 miles .. it was hideous, somehow there seemed to be a strong headwind for about 80% of the ride!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • 20eyes
    20eyes Posts: 25
    Hi all.

Hello from Lisburn. I'm doing LTL as well, but will be relatively slow compare to some. My cycling hasn't been fantastic this year as I seem to have had virus after virus (thanks to my daughter starting primary school and bringing them home). I seem to have hit a good spell recently though so hopefully will be ok.
    Good to have a Northern Ireland thread here :)
  • i'm an interloper, i live in donegal
  • dw300
    20eyes wrote:
    Hi all.

Hello from Lisburn. I'm doing LTL as well, but will be relatively slow compare to some. My cycling hasn't been fantastic this year as I seem to have had virus after virus (thanks to my daughter starting primary school and bringing them home). I seem to have hit a good spell recently though so hopefully will be ok.

We're actually referring to the Freewheelers version .. think there's a link earlier in the thread if youre interested.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • dw300
    i'm an interloper, i live in donegal

Well .. it's in the North of Ireland isn't it! ;)

Welcome to the thread!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Come on in :)

http://www.freewheelersdsd.btck.co.uk/
  • 20eyes
    20eyes Posts: 25
    dw300 wrote:
    20eyes wrote:
    Hi all.

We're actually referring to the Freewheelers version .. think there's a link earlier in the thread if youre interested.

Thanks :) I would have been actually but I'm away that weekend :(

I'll definitely look at it for next year though as it looks like its for a great cause.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    edited July 2012
    I spotted something odd the other day in Carrick. Two junctions are now equipped with ASL's, nearly missed them as there were cars on them :roll:

I should add, I was in my car and was not on the ASL :p
  • Cars sitting in ASL's are unfortunately not an odd sight in Belfast :(

But I have noticed new ASL's popping up all over the place in Belfast recently. Not sure why but the cynic in me suspects DRD have a European target to hit as opposed to actually caring about cyclist's safety.
  • dw300
    Lol, are thee only just gettin them oot in the country bai?!

Yeh, drivers seem to stop at the light and ignore the road markings.
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    dw300 wrote:
    Lol, are thee only just gettin them oot in the country bai?!

Yeh, drivers seem to stop at the light and ignore the road markings.
    Aye we've just phased out the telegram ffs
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,346
    I can stand on a hill opposite you lot of blethering numpties, chooktas, numbnuts, skulking loafers, half wits, fakirs and rogues. I am collecting all the red elastic bands the postmen leave around the place. Soon, I will be able to complete my megagynormous catapualt and hurl lumps of Stranraer (the sh1t hole) at you from the top of Corsewall Lighthouse (Blueprint on page 94...). First target: Larne.
    Would you please keep the bloody noise down as it is upsetting my sleep.
    Page 3 and still no cake ?!? eh, wasshapenin ?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    I can stand on a hill opposite you lot of blethering numpties, chooktas, numbnuts, skulking loafers, half wits, fakirs and rogues. I am collecting all the red elastic bands the postmen leave around the place. Soon, I will be able to complete my megagynormous catapualt and hurl lumps of Stranraer (the sh1t hole) at you from the top of Corsewall Lighthouse (Blueprint on page 94...). First target: Larne.
    Would you please keep the bloody noise down as it is upsetting my sleep.
    Page 3 and still no cake ?!? eh, wasshapenin ?
    Have you ran out of English to kill William? http://youtu.be/zs8QKXtCN9w

Also I see your giant elastic gstring contraption and raise you with these.

scissorscoloringpages9.jpg
    They're safety scissors rated for age 5+ so hopefully you won't cut yourself :lol:
  • Sorry to interupt. This is a long shot but I'll give it a go anyway. Don't suppose anyone has found my trusty Cateye back light on the road near Ballycastle. It was definitely on the back of the bike at the petrol station on the outskirts of the town but was gone after I came out of a cafe in Ballycastle. It might have fallen off on the road or could have been lifted when I was in the cafe. I hate losing things
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,346
    I'll match, blunt and raise your scissors with Ailsa Craig.

The G-string contraption wil soon be advertised in the local paper offering a 'Free Flight Home' for all the Galloway Irish here. They dilute the purity of our gorgeous 4 ft square Scottish lassies (with most of their own teeth), so have them back.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • dw300 wrote:

Welcome to the thread!

more often that we'd like on gov maps down here

thanks for the welcome
  • dw300
    Sorry to interupt. This is a long shot but I'll give it a go anyway. Don't suppose anyone has found my trusty Cateye back light on the road near Ballycastle. It was definitely on the back of the bike at the petrol station on the outskirts of the town but was gone after I came out of a cafe in Ballycastle. It might have fallen off on the road or could have been lifted when I was in the cafe. I hate losing things

I know Northern Ireland's a small place, but unless we have several thousand lurkers in this thread, I'm afraid you may not see your light again. :(

I'll keep my eyes open though, as I admire your optimism!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • dw300
    dw300 wrote:

Welcome to the thread!

more often that we'd like on gov maps down here

thanks for the welcome

Lol .. do you mean they're trying to get rid of a few more counties by printing the border in the wrong place?!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
  • dw300
    Could this be the most epic Strava ride in the Belfast area? Does anyone know this person?

45 miles, 3,500ft of climbing, 6 KoMs and two 2nd places .. he's extremely fast for a guy on a bike, but it seems too slow for a car .. maybe a 50cc scooter?

Nothing there that wouldn't be possible on a bike that I can see, but all in one ride is very good going! Proper mountain goat.

What thinkest thou?
    Bike Radar Strava Club