The dodgy link to someone famous thread

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    So this must be andylav http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxVzwoVTnWI introducing T'Pau who's guitarist, to get back on topic, is married to my best man's sister.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    wrong thread
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Pross wrote:
    So this must be andylav http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxVzwoVTnWI introducing T'Pau who's guitarist, to get back on topic, is married to my best man's sister.

We're nigh on family!!

My Mum used to play bridge with T'pau's drummer's Mother.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Getting up to date.

I was knocking a football around with my two sons this weekend. They are only 6 and 8 and the ball went passed me. Who should kick it back? ......... Paul McCartney.

Nice guy.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    izza wrote:
    Getting up to date.

I was knocking a football around with my two sons this weekend. They are only 6 and 8 and the ball went passed me. Who should kick it back? ......... Paul McCartney.

Nice guy.

I hope you're teaching them to play football and leaving the English lessons to mum.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    My mates at school include:
    one of the actors from Footballers Wives (oh, how my mum's female colleagues would swoon when he popped in to see her);
    one of the guys who had his hand up a puppet's arse on Saturday morning kids' tv (and later went on to interview Danni Minogue!);
    my best mate does music for tv shows including BBC series with Peter Davison and the motorbike one with Ewan McGregor;
    one of my best mate's wife is a professional Kylie impersonator and has opened several supermarkets. I was also mates with a guy who has not only been in the Bill at least once, but pulled his trousers down in a Jeremy Irons film.

My mum worked in the lingerie department of a London department store and regularly sold women's underwear to Bruce Forsyth (possibly for his wife).

My grandfather spent the night drinking in a Nice hotel bar with Charlie Chaplin.

But what tops it all: whilst working for William Hill I took a Grand National bet from the fat, dark haired fella from the series Bread! Yep, I'm up there with the greats of showbiz, people. (And my brother, who has a photo of Lance eating a sandwich, is related to me)
  • Blacktemplar
    Blacktemplar Posts: 713
    edited July 2012
    Ooohhh...... lots of scope here......

My wife worked in Laura Ashley years ago and served Sharon Gless of Cagney & Lacey (can't remember which she was) and Elvis Costello. A guy I worked with in a previous company once played session drums for Elvis Costello (see what I did there?)

My best mate used to play in a band that supported The Police at Birmingham in the 80's.

Now stay with me on this one..... my best man and sister-in-law's ex-fiance's father was a Republican politician during the Spanish Civil War, who fled to Mexico after Franco took power. He became the Mexican Minister of Defence, and was a personal friend of Fidel Castro.

My son's ex-girlfriend's uncle's golf partner is Geddy Lee of Rush.

Whew!
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,094
    Ooohhh...... lots of scope here......
    Now stay with me on this one..... my best man and sister-in-law's ex-fiance's father was a Republican politician during the Spanish Civil War, who fled to Mexico after Franco took power. He became the Mexican Minister of Defence, and was a personal friend of Fidel Castro.

Thats the spirit ! Some people don't get it. Its a spurious link to someone famous thread.

My friends aunts uncle had a friend who's dog peed on a lamp post outside a house where such and such once lived. Ok?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • andylav wrote:
    I used to co-present a TV show called No Limits with Jenny Powell (spurious link in the sense that she was / is famous and I wasn't / am not)...

nolimits_close1987-01.jpg
    You are Tony Baker and I claim my £5 :lol:

Actually, I just remembered a 'contribution'.
    I was working for Godfrey Davis (Ford dealership) in Alperton in the early '90's when I got wind that Gloom-meister Robert Smith was bringing in his 4x4 for a re-spray.
    Off I rush to the workshop for a somewhat strained 'Alright Rob?' type conversation and a signed piccy.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    Ian Brown high fived me last weekend (he knows Mani from the Stone Roses)
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Dandy2012
    Dandy2012 Posts: 47
    First post:

My uncle is/was the drummer in The Zombies. Pow
  • VmanF3
    VmanF3 Posts: 240
    andylav wrote:
    I used to co-present a TV show called No Limits with Jenny Powell (spurious link in the sense that she was / is famous and I wasn't / am not)...

Cripes - I went 'out' with Ms Powell years ago just after that show finished, met here in a pub in Prestbury and dated for a couple of weeks...

Spurious link - my best mates brother, was best mates with Ian Brown at primary school....
    Big Red, Blue, Pete, Bill & Doug
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    I did the sound check with Curiosity Killed the Cat in 1992.

Applause please !
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    MingMong wrote:
    I did the sound check with Curiosity Killed the Cat in 1992.

Applause please !

They had a sound check?
  • CrunchyToes
    CrunchyToes Posts: 2
    edited February 2016
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    andylav wrote:

Did you get shagged by Jonathan King? cos that would be a well dodgy link
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    My dad was friends with Pierce Brosnan (the guy who did some James Bond films I believe), my dad used to work at the Theater Royal and Brosnan before he was famous was in York too and did some stuff at the Theatre Royal.

On another note, some people find it hard to grasp that famous people have not always being famous, once they were normal, they did not just get born on the tele.
  • jim453
    willhub wrote:
    My dad was friends with Pierce Brosnan (the guy who did some James Bond films I believe), my dad used to work at the Theater Royal and Brosnan before he was famous was in York too and did some stuff at the Theatre Royal.

On another note, some people find it hard to grasp that famous people have not always being famous, once they were normal, they did not just get born on the tele.

I simply cannot fathom how you've not managed to fill in a successful application form for a job. There must be some seriously discerning employers out there. Are they even allowed to specify english as a first language requirement?
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    jim453 wrote:
    Are they even allowed to specify english as a first language requirement?
    The location might explain it.... ;)

My brother-in-law's fiance is best mates with Ben Forster, yes the one and only new Jesus Christ Superstar. :roll:
  • mudcow007
    jim453 wrote:

jim453 wrote:
    I hope you're teaching them to play football and leaving the English lessons to mum.

Blimey, you really are a spelling "nazi" arn't you?

lighten up
  • jim453
    mudcow007 wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

jim453 wrote:

lighten up

Aren't.

Moron.
  • mudcow007
    jim453 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

jim453 wrote:

lighten up

Aren't.

Moron.

oh jimmi jimy jimny jim jim what are we going to do with you?

this unfortunately is a cycling forum not a spelling lesson forum you penis
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,094
    My thread and my rules No need for MODS.

STOP this bitching, some communter might whinge. Who gives a monkeys about the spelling... back to the plot please...

Davide Etxebarria sent me a signed ONCE jersey in 1998 before winning 2 stages of the TdF in 1999 ! It was full circle after having met him in Eastbourne in 1992 and went out on a few rides together. He had heard I had been very ill through a mutual friend. I met him again at a later date.
    Not that spurious a link but heck.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    jim453 wrote:
    willhub wrote:

I simply cannot fathom how you've not managed to fill in a successful application form for a job. There must be some seriously discerning employers out there. Are they even allowed to specify english as a first language requirement?

:D:D:D

I like the fact that his dad used to work at Pierce Brosnan; from what I've heard, Brosnan quite likes that. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    my wifes cousin is/was the voice of 02
  • robklancs
    robklancs Posts: 498
    I used to be good at football and played in the reserves of a premier league club so used to know a few footballers, one who is currently England's second choice left back.

My sister in laws brother plays rugby for Warrington and has played for gb.

I was in the Trafford centre once and came out the lift, in walked sir David of beck ham, brooklyn and posh spice who had the word arse stitched in the back of her jeans.

I bumped into Garry off corrie who has got that girl in the wheelchair pregnant in the Piccadilly in Manchester.

Oh and now that I am rubbish at football I played against mark Owen of take that fame, he was actually not bad.

Oh, and I was once in a nightclub and the guest dj was tommy off of corrie.
    Finally my mate was bodyguard for the day on michelle Keegan who plays Tina in corrie (google her!)

Maybe I watch too much coronation street
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    I went out with a girl who was Jim Kerr's (Simple Minds) cousin......

....I can just hear how impressed you all are!!
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    My mate who's married to the Kylie lookalike went with her to a tv show in Manchester and afterwards found himself sitting at a table in the Rover's Return with Sean Connery, Al pacino and Robert de Niro. It is entirely possible that they were also professional lookalikes....
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    crispybug2 wrote:
    I went out with a girl who was Jim Kerr's (Simple Minds) cousin......

....I can just hear how impressed you all are!!

I am. Did you meet him?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    The son of Jack Smethurst (star of the 70's politically incorrect sit-com 'Love thy Neighbour') was in the year below me at college.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition