Tour de France Stage 8 *SPOILER*

123457»

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I've just noticed that pinot clearly didn't shave this morning... still like him Frenchie?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Huh? Are you suggesting that Wiggins takes his foot of the gas to cede time and the jersey to Evans, when he should hold the upper hand?
    No.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I've just noticed that pinot clearly didn't shave this morning... still like him Frenchie?

If he knew he was going to try something, of course he wouldn't shave. Everyone knows you must not shave on important days coz it weakens you.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    iainf72 wrote:

If he knew he was going to try something, of course he wouldn't shave. Everyone knows you must not shave on important days coz it weakens you.

The French are a bit wierd about that though. Wasn't one of the criticisms of Hinault in his last year at Renault that he no longer shaved on race days?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Wiggins caught napping in the last few k's again. Not sticking close enough to Evans and costing him vital energy in the chase back. :/

Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Just remembered I've got Pinot in the fantasy cycling. Yay!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Wiggins caught napping in the last few k's again. Not sticking close enough to Evans and costing him vital energy in the chase back. :/

Jerry

Spent less than Evans would have making the forlorn attempt at a break. Froome was otiginally marking Evans but couldn't close the gap, Wiggins did it with ease.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    You see Madiot? That is what it means to win races like this. Not by numbers, not by a team, pure class and strength

wow. Ok i sort of agree about attacking racing and the whole make it happen, be a hero type thang. But -
    If sky had had as much success as fdj over the past couple of years would that make you love them?

I'm not a Britophile when it comes to cycling, i kind of like the whole world wide feel to it. And the majority of my favourite riders are not brits. But i'm sure as hell not going to deliberately dislike someone cos they are.No weasel words now -that IS what you are doing. Did you slag of lotto for their greipel leadout(strong team display) PAH.
    Pinot was a hero today, Madiot would have shat his pants and sold future generations of his family to achieve what sky did today and yesterday. Credit where it is due.
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    A great stage and made much more exciting by evans continual probing. He isn't sitting back like a Schleck waiting for one opportunity on a climb 17 days into the Tour, he is going to take evry opportunity he gets to try and pull back a few seconds here and there.

Becoming World Champion changed the way this guy rides...for the better. I have a lot of respect for him whereas before I thought he was a bit of a lame whinger.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    You see Madiot? That is what it means to win races like this. Not by numbers, not by a team, pure class and strength

Yeah class - loads of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7 ... cling_team)#2012

Someone must have edited out all the great results they've had over the last few years. No wonder he was going ape in the back of the car - it was probably the dole queue for Madoit if FDJ hadn't won a stage this Tour. The sad thing for French racing is that the papers will be full of it tomorrow instead of focusing on the fact that it's an embarrassment that a nation with such a rich tradition can't produce any cyclists regularly challenging for honours. I was hoping Rolland to push on after last year but that progress seems to have stalled. I'm not French and like what Sky are doing although I recognise that it's not everyone's cup of tea but I think pro-cycling deserves to have a really strong French team with some good French riders. I don't understand how a country with such a heritage doesn't have a conveyor belt of good cyclists. The French based teams don't even seem to have any money. Surely they would be a French sponsors dream ?

Anyway strayed off topic enough.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    afx237vi wrote:
    Read somewhere that this year has the oldest average age of the riders since WW2 or something... and yet 4 stages have been won by 22 yr olds!

So thats why there is so many crashes? Their a bunch of old dithering old gits! :)
  • Squaggles
    Squaggles Posts: 875
    How is a GC rider going to win a stage like that though frenchfighter ? Not sure what you expect Wiggins to do when he is the best TT rider except avoid losing time in the mountains

Madiot seemed excited about that win , doesn't happen often I take it

The idea is to win , winning in style is a bonus
    The UCI are Clowns and Fools
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Some of you should read my posts properly. I clearly said I didn't expect a gc move on this stage. I don't dislike sky as they are British. I respect any talented performance even if it doesn't agree with my preferred style of execution. I have said good things about wiggins this year. I don't care about Madiot or fdj or fr cycling - I do care though about a promising youngster lighting up the roads solo for a big courageous win.

It seems that a handful of you only watch the tour and don't know what happens the whole rest of the year in other races so have no basis for comparison or context.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jerry3571
    dsoutar wrote:

Yeah class - loads of it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7 ... cling_team)#2012

Someone must have edited out all the great results they've had over the last few years. No wonder he was going ape in the back of the car - it was probably the dole queue for Madoit if FDJ hadn't won a stage this Tour. The sad thing for French racing is that the papers will be full of it tomorrow instead of focusing on the fact that it's an embarrassment that a nation with such a rich tradition can't produce any cyclists regularly challenging for honours. I was hoping Rolland to push on after last year but that progress seems to have stalled. I'm not French and like what Sky are doing although I recognise that it's not everyone's cup of tea but I think pro-cycling deserves to have a really strong French team with some good French riders. I don't understand how a country with such a heritage doesn't have a conveyor belt of good cyclists. The French based teams don't even seem to have any money. Surely they would be a French sponsors dream ?

Anyway strayed off topic enough.

Not sure about this website; might need a look-
    http://www.uci.ch/templates/BUILTIN-NOF ... c&LangId=1

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    So Pinot was part of the large breakaway. Attacked and bridged to the next two guys up with two others. Attacked again later to catch and pass Kess like he was standing still. Then there was another 17km solo. Yeah that's a classy win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jerry3571
    Pross wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:

Jerry

Spent less than Evans would have making the forlorn attempt at a break. Froome was otiginally marking Evans but couldn't close the gap, Wiggins did it with ease.

I got a thing about Wiggins dropping back too far at finishes. Evans is always at the front keeping out of trouble and keeping an eye out things ie- Van den Broeck attacking. Also Evans missed the delays which Wiggo had with a crash in the first uphill finish on stage 3 (luckily Wiggo was given the time back and luck only lasts so long). In the last 2 Kilometres in that situation you will always get attacks and Wiggins is usually at the back of the group just following. He gets caught out a lot in this way whether it's crashes, gaps opening up or general attacks. Evans is running the race in a Valverde style by picking up bonus seconds and getting small gaps. Add this up over 3 weeks and Wiggo could be in 2nd place through sloppiness. He's riding like a 4th Cat. :x

-Jerry

-Jacques Anquetil
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    riding like a 4th cat in the lead in the Tour de France.....think i might train harder to get my 4th cat licence back.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:

Jerry

I got a thing about Wiggins dropping back too far at finishes. Evans is always at the front keeping out of trouble and keeping an eye out things ie- Van den Broeck attacking. Also Evans missed the delays which Wiggo had with a crash in the first uphill finish on stage 3 (luckily Wiggo was given the time back and luck only lasts so long). In the last 2 Kilometres in that situation you will always get attacks and Wiggins is usually at the back of the group just following. He gets caught out a lot in this way whether it's crashes, gaps opening up or general attacks. Evans is running the race in a Valverde style by picking up bonus seconds and getting small gaps. Add this up over 3 weeks and Wiggo could be in 2nd place through sloppiness. He's riding like a 4th Cat. :x

-Jerry

He likes to see what's going on. He can't follow sharp accelerations, so having a guy jump you from behind is no use.

Better off being able to spot it ASAP and wind it up as fast as you can without going into the red. No surprises.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    jerry3571 wrote:
    He's riding like a 4th Cat. :x

:roll:

...and Menchov is riding like a commuter I suppose?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Evans is running the race in a Valverde style by picking up bonus seconds and getting small gaps. Add this up over 3 weeks and Wiggo could be in 2nd place through sloppiness. He's riding like a 4th Cat. :x
    -Jerry

Wiggins has worked out there aren't any bonus seconds though. I suspect Evans has too.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Bwahahahaha...
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    :lol:

Evans might just be doing this because he doubts himself against Wiggins in the TT. We'll find out shortly.
    In any case he & Nibali have to continually harrass Wiggins so that he can't relax and ride efficiently, hence the little attacks today. If Wiggins is hoping to put a decent amount of time into Evans in the TT then all he needs to do is follow and stay with him until then, rather than burn things up this early – all minimal effort as much as possible.
  • alwaystoohot
    alwaystoohot Posts: 252
    Thats 2 days running Evan's has tried to break away from Wiggo and failed.

Crackin' race eh?
    'I started with nothing and still have most of it left.'
  • Timoid. wrote:
    emadden wrote:

Isn't he supposed to ask someone else to pull his finger. At least I think that's how the joke goes.

What he's actually doing is his bit to support this
    http://joiningjack.org/

So perhaps not a dear lord moment after all eh!!?? :roll:
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,183
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Evans is running the race in a Valverde style by picking up bonus seconds and getting small gaps. Add this up over 3 weeks and Wiggo could be in 2nd place through sloppiness. He's riding like a 4th Cat. :x

-Jerry

If there were bonus seconds it might be worth it. As it is Wiggins has finished right on his wheel the last couple of stages, the second of the stages where they had crashes in the last 3km Wiggins was right at the front having realised he made a mistake the previous day.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    What I thought was interesting yesterday was that when it got difficult, Valverde, Kloden and Vino vanished out the back. Coincidence ? Maybe. But I doubt that would have happened a few years ago. Hopefully more evidence of cleaner riding.
  • jerry3571 wrote:

Don't think he was caught napping. Was letting his teammate do the work (as you would expect), but when it was clear he couldn't, Wiggins easily moved passed the 3/4 riders in front and closed the gap to Evans himself. If anything, it proved Wiggins is the strongest there and Cadel is going to have a to ride out of his skin today to have any chance of remaining in contention.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    dsoutar wrote:
    What I thought was interesting yesterday was that when it got difficult, Valverde, Kloden and Vino vanished out the back. Coincidence ? Maybe. But I doubt that would have happened a few years ago. Hopefully more evidence of cleaner riding.

They're all old. Especially the latter two.