Comments

• Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2012
  • peterst6906
    peterst6906 Posts: 530
    Really good stage.

Well done Pinot. Lot's of panache.
  • ZOMYGODZ radioshack had four riders altogether in the GC group - LuxembourgPostal!!!!

/sarcasm.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    It's definitely looking like a good decision to include more shorter, steeper climbs. Good stage. Hopefully shaping up to be a good overall Tour.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    You see Madiot? That is what it means to win races like this. Not by numbers, not by a team, pure class and strength

Come on it was a good stage let's not spoil it having a dig at GC riders who would never get to jump off the front like that to do as you sy "show pure class". Fact was none of the GC guys had much of a team or numbers at the end. Evans and Nibs tried to push wiggo to see what would happen and he showed he is up for the scrap.

Decent little stage made even better by a great result for a promising frenchman
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I enjoyed that.
    For once profile potential achieved.

Great ride by Taaramae to hang on to white.

Bit naughty of Evans to revert to his best Levi Leipheimer impression.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,173
    iainf72 wrote:
    Tom BB wrote:
    Excellent waste of energy by Evans there....

And Wiggins had to chase....

Good stage.

Seems well thought out short stages are the way forward??

Yeah, seems to be the way. Last years stage to L'Alpe D'Huez was pretty exciting from start to finish. Anything that promotes good racing has got to be good.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    You see Madiot? That is what it means to win races like this. Not by numbers, not by a team, pure class and strength

Alternatively, if they paid more attention to the numbers they may win more stages and not have to go completely mental when a long shot comes off.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Wiggins needs to sort himself out he just followed evans to the line where was the sprint you where my ptp pick!

To be fair good try by evans but he must be getting scarred trying the jump a better TT on the flat
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Can't help but think after tomorrow we'll know the podium and in what order...
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    smithy21 wrote:

Alternatively, if they paid more attention to the numbers they may win more stages and not have to go completely mental when a long shot comes off.

The gc teams aren't bothered about winning. They can take or leave it.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2012
    Wiggins needs to sort himself out he just followed evans to the line where was the sprint you where my ptp pick!

To be fair good try by evans but he must be getting scarred trying the jump a better TT on the flat
    Wiggins just needs to follow Evans to the line in the TT as well, but if Cadel had got a 10 second gap he would have yellow and be the hound not the hare tomorrow.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    GO PINOT

22 years old. Youngest in the Tour. Solo. HEAVYWEIGHT.
    Pinot is youngest rider at 22. Watch out for him as he is motivated and going in to make an impact and has a talent to match. Was top 10 in TdS but had to pull out on final due due to sunstroke.

That is racing, there is the passion, there are the emotions.

--
    Nothing of real interest in the GC group with, no gaps where it counts. But that makes sense for a stage like this especially with a big effort required tomorrow.

Just saw the Samu crash and that looked nasty. Really feel for him, defending Olympic champion and now its over. He was crying.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • peterst6906

No, I think both Evans and Wiggins are riding within themselves at the moment.

Evans won St 4 last year and was well placed in other early stages, so I think he's just working himself to improve further by week 3, without paying too much attention to Wiggins.

You can't win the tour in the first 2 weeks, only lose it.

So I'm guessing he is just placing himself not to lose the tour early and then hopefully the easy riding that BMC are currently doing pays dividends against Sky when the racing gets more vertical (kind of like a tortoise vs hare kind of thing - Sky have jumped out quickly, but may not be able to maintain that right to the end).
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744

Evans won St 4 last year and was well placed in other early stages, so I think he's just working himself to improve further by week 3, without paying too much attention to Wiggins.

So I'm guessing he is just placing himself not to lose the tour early and then hopefully the easy riding that BMC are currently doing pays dividends against Sky when the racing gets more vertical (kind of like a tortoise vs hare kind of thing - Sky have jumped out quickly, but may not be able to maintain that right to the end).

The difference is that after tomorrow, Evans could find himself 30 seconds behind (and I think he will). I'm not convinced BMC have got the riders to support him into a position where he can attack Wiggins in the hills.

Big improvement by TvG today but he still wasn't in that leading group like Froome.
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    I'm not surprised Samu was crying, broken wrist (?scaphoid?), collar bone & dislocated shoulder.
    Madiot's secured his job for another year, with Pinot's win. Shows that a lone break can work, if you put your all into ot.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733

why not win it in first two weeks? So your saying they cant win it then?
    I can only see wiggo or evens for this tour, think nibs will have an off day on one hard stage some where
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Meh, if you force enough people to lose it in the first week, you make the task of winning it a lot easier. Having said that, one bad day in the mountains and all your good work in the first week is going to be undone.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Read somewhere that this year has the oldest average age of the riders since WW2 or something... and yet 4 stages have been won by 22 yr olds!
  • rick_chasey
    afx237vi wrote:
    Read somewhere that this year has the oldest average age of the riders since WW2 or something... and yet 4 stages have been won by 22 yr olds!

With more and more emphasis on coaching and effort being concentrated on stuff behinds the scenes (and dare I say it, radios), it makes experience count just that little less than it used to.
  • peterst6906
    why not win it in first two weeks? So your saying they cant win it then?
    I can only see wiggo or evens for this tour, think nibs will have an off day on one hard stage some where

I agree, I think it's down to Wiggins, Evans and Nibali still + 1-2 more that can't be discounted yet, but a lot of others have already eliminated themselves as a result of yesterday and retirements.

History however would suggest that the tour is not won in the first week and it's generally in week 3 where the win is decided.

Aside from a few exceptions (eg. 1989), the tour is not won on the basis of a few seconds, but by minutes. Last year was 1' 34", which was one of the close ones.

So either Wiggins will take a couple of minutes lead in the time trials and then have the legs and team to hold onto that in the mountains in week 3, or Evans will be able to make up all the time and more with team support in the Alps.

My bet is that BMC are planning to attack in the Alps and are riding relatively easy at the moment.
  • rick_chasey

My bet is that BMC are planning to attack in the Alps and are riding relatively easy at the moment.

Think it's more that with a team as strong as sky it's difficult to do much else other than be droppped.

They seem keen on taking the race on, so why not let them?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited July 2012

Think it's more that with a team as strong as sky it's difficult to do much else other than be droppped.

They seem keen on taking the race on, so why not let them?

I'm sure that BMC with try a thing or two in the mountains, but I don't see that they have the climbing ammunition.
    TJVG remains inconsistent; likely to blow when least expected.
    As for the rest?
    Evans could have done with Giro standardTSchopp and and in form Frank.
    Wiggins just needs to follow Evans to the line in the TT as well, but if Cadel had got a 10 second gap he would have yellow and be the hound not the hare tomorrow.

Huh? Are you suggesting that Wiggins takes his foot of the gas to cede time and the jersey to Evans, when he should hold the upper hand?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    Pinot Pinot Pinot
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Radioshack get the yellow helmets tomorrow - although I don't know if they have them for TTs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Guess who's been ignoring their media training again?

Bad language ahoy!

"I say they're just f*cking w*nkers. I cannot be doing with people like that. It justifies their own bone-idleness because they can't ever imagine applying themselves to do anything in their lives. It's easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter and write that sort of shit, rather than get off their arses in their own lives and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something. And that's ultimately it. C*nts."
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    Jez mon wrote:

Bad language ahoy!

"I say they're just f*cking w*nkers. I cannot be doing with people like that. It justifies their own bone-idleness because they can't ever imagine applying themselves to do anything in their lives. It's easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter and write that sort of shoot, rather than get off their arses in their own lives and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something. And that's ultimately it. C*nts."

haha..who is that?
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Jez mon wrote:

Bad language ahoy!

"I say they're just f*cking w*nkers. I cannot be doing with people like that. It justifies their own bone-idleness because they can't ever imagine applying themselves to do anything in their lives. It's easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter and write that sort of shoot, rather than get off their arses in their own lives and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something. And that's ultimately it. C*nts."

haha..who is that?

Kilburns finest.

And a great answer as well, to a question about what he thinks about people calling him a doper.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Good stuff.

I wonder how long he's been rehearsing that one in front of the mirror.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Bikingbernie must have been in the press room to provoke an answer like that :lol: