Tdf Stage 5 *Spoiler*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I don't know if anyone on TV has mentioned it, but today is the 50th anniversary of Tom Simpson becoming the first British wearer of the Yellow Jersey
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    RichN95 wrote:
    I don't know if anyone on TV has mentioned it, but today is the 50th anniversary of Tom Simpson becoming the first British wearer of the Yellow Jersey

Haven't heard that fact. I wonder what Tom would think to the way modern cycling is?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    Nice one Rich....I've not heard that mentioned on ITV yet!

Very dull stage!
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    RichN95 wrote:

Haven't heard that fact. I wonder what Tom would think to the way modern cycling is?

I think he'd be appalled at carbon clinchers.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    RichN95 wrote:

Upset that they are trying to stop doping? 8)
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Tom BB wrote:

Very dull stage!

Just to spice it up then, it's my wedding anniversary today and my wife is 39 weeks and 3 days. I am taking sportsman bets on the fact the baby will come out today just to mess up our celebrations in future years. :wink:
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Yellow Peril
    RichN95 wrote:

I think he'd be appalled at carbon clinchers.

...and their price!
    @JaunePeril

• disgruntledgoat
    RichN95 wrote:

He'd probably be more bothered about his best mate and his wife.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Tom BB wrote:

Very dull stage!

Just to spice it up then, it's my wedding anniversary today and my wife is 39 weeks and 3 days. I am taking sportsman bets on the fact the baby will come out today just to mess up our celebrations in future years. :wink:

Hmm double whammy of anniversary and child's birthday in the Tour. That could limit future escape to watch attempts. Congratulations in anticipation though!
    @JaunePeril

• brettjmcc
    I am hoping it comes after tomorrow, so I have the final weeks off with paternity leave...
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    Perfect excuses surely - here kid, for your birthday treat I'll take you to a stage of the greatest bike race on Earth...
  • Yellow Peril
    RichN95 wrote:

He'd probably be more bothered about his best mate and his wife.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Probably the fastest move his mate made on or off the bike!
    @JaunePeril

• squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Another boring stage. So far this week has been extremely dull. The riders seem to have decided this year to just cruise in the break, knowing that they are going to be allowed to hang out there until the end. The average speed of the race so far must be one of the lowest in years.
  • Tom BB
    :D

....and congratulations Brett-its my first wedding anniversary on Monday-I missed most of last years Tour on honeymoon!
  • Ok so I may be a newbie, but is there any real point to todays stage? Looking on the Tour website it seems the highlight of todays stage is the feed station. I imagine today is about as interesting as watching the morning commute on Embankment.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    So dull today, i'm actually getting some work done...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Could say the same about 30 of every teams prem football matches each season. You can't have mountains every day for three weeks :D
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Yellow Peril
    edited July 2012
    OOh P&P discussing "it"
    @JaunePeril

• Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Tom BB wrote:

....and congratulations Brett-its my first wedding anniversary on Monday-I missed most of last years Tour on honeymoon!

Shoot, I was able to watch the Tour everyday on my honeymoon eight years ago...my wife was usually taking a nap during the last hour!
  • Tom BB
    The point of the stage is, that unfortunately, they can't race all day every day in the alps!

They should stick some cobbled stages into the first week like they did in 2010, certainly spiced things up.
  • Yellow Peril
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Tom BB wrote:

Shoot, I was able to watch the Tour everyday on my honeymoon eight years ago...my wife was usually taking a nap during the last hour!

You old dog you, missus too tired to stay awake...eh...eh?
    @JaunePeril

• No need to have mountains every day. Plus having some sprints in is a good thing, but there arent even any lower category climbs for breakaways to aim for. A bunch sprint should be the outcome of a stage. Not the purpose of one.
  • Tom BB
    I managed to see two Cav wins and the last 15 minutes of the final TT of last years Tour......napping wasn't on my wifes agenda whilst we were in bed 8)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Ok so I may be a newbie, but is there any real point to todays stage? Looking on the Tour website it seems the highlight of todays stage is the feed station. I imagine today is about as interesting as watching the morning commute on Embankment.

To cover the distance and find a stage winner. The race is 3000 km... most of them are flat.
  • brettjmcc
    I've just been asked on my audio with the US "Who is Lotto, Brett?" - Must remeber to switch mute on, oops
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    I like Carbon
  • Yellow Peril
    Tom BB wrote:
    The point of the stage is, that unfortunately, they can't race all day every day in the alps!

They should stick some cobbled stages into the first week like they did in 2010, certainly spiced things up.

Last year's classic style stages were good and the ones where it kicks up a KM or so at the end are good. I think to keep pure sprinters happy onm such stages they could have a couple of high scoring intermediates on each stage and not have so many points in that comp for the finish.
    @JaunePeril

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Putting the finish line at the top of a hill is not going to stop the previous 4 hours from being dull, is it?
  • disgruntledgoat
    OOh P&P discussing "it"

huhhuh... you said "it"

cast.jpg

@gietvangent
  • Yellow Peril
    afx237vi wrote:
    Putting the finish line at the top of a hill is not going to stop the previous 4 hours from being dull, is it?

No but the intermediate sprints have been good so far so why not a couple of high scorers? Depends on your definition of dull. If you find Grand Tour cycling dull buy yourself a play station. I'd sooner watch any cycle stage than a football match. As you said its a long way, it can't be all breaks and attacks there would be no-one left after the first week.
    @JaunePeril

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    OOh P&P discussing "it"

What are they saying? I can only find illegal ES feeds...

25km to go - time to switch on if you re waiting for the fun bits to start
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver