10 -42 T cassette!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does anybody know the weight of the xx components?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    WEIGHTS (see caveats below comparo)

SRAM XX
    Shimano XTR
    Shift Lever Set 183g……………………………235.87
    Rear Derailleur 181g…………………………..199.58
    Front Derailleur Low Mount 118g……..127.01
    Cassette 11-32 185g…………………………...244.94
    Crankset 39/26 BB30 670g………………….780.18
    Chain 260g………………………………………....281.23
    Brakes, pair, 160mm rotors: 613g………734.82
    Grand Total 2,210 grams**………………….2,603 grams
  • supersonic
    My weights for XTR are:

Long cage shadow plus rear mech - 177g
    Front mech - 131g
    Chainset (double 44/30 with BB) - 740g
    Cassette 11-36 - 272g
    Chain (114 links) - 262g
    Shifters - 226g (inc inner cables)
  • bennett_346
    Seems XX really is a lot lighter then. Justification of the price though? Not in my eyes.

I'd be more interested in a groupset that lasted a LONG time between needing new chainrings, cassette, chain etc.
  • supersonic
    Only the cassette and brakes really. The rest is just a few grams in it.
  • supersonic
    But... I meant to ask XX1 doh! Was wondering why there was a front mech in that list haha!
  • bennett_346
    I doubt there's much in it. Weight isn't the aim of XX1 in my eyes, versatility is what they have aimed for.
  • supersonic
    I think weight is a factor - dropping the front mech and shifter but keeping a wide range will reduce complexity and weight. It is a good idea and something I predicted years ago. Starting it with XX1 though, right at the top, will get people to splash a lot of money and they will rake it in. Then it will trickle down.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Oh aye, according to MBR the XX1 chainring is 10-speed compatible. It's bloomin expensive mind and has a funky BCD but that could still be a nice upgrade for the 1x10 crowd if they're right.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bennett_346
    What gears is the range on XX1 eqivalent to on a standard 22-32-42 triple with 11-36t cassette with the 32t XX1 chainring?

If it doesn't cover at least 80% of the gear ratios on a normal triple i'm out. I ride far too much a mix of stuff for any more comprimise than that.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'm saying I think we would all like to see something pitched at XT/X9 level/weight/pricing that gives a better spread for a 1x10 setup. It's just disappointing to see something finally come out and be way out of reach for the majority of people in terms of pricing, because they pitched it as high end. It's not that technologically advanced.

1) that's what you'd like to see, I'm not too fussed ;-)
    2) that's what happens, this isn't new! As said, XX was the first group that introduced 10 speed to MTBs officially, it was even more expensive than XX1!

XX1 weights:
    Cassette: 260g
    Chainset & BB: 650g
    Rear mech: 220g
    Shifter: 105g (95g for Grip Shift)
    Chain: 250g
    Total: 1485g

Total inc brakes = 2098g.

That's quite a saving in anyone's book.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Seems XX really is a lot lighter then. Justification of the price though? Not in my eyes.

I'd be more interested in a groupset that lasted a LONG time between needing new chainrings, cassette, chain etc.

I've found my 10 speed xt stuff has lasted really, I got 18 months out of everything except the BB, which I do have a habit of destroying :lol:
  • njee20
    edited November 2012
    Oh aye, according to MBR the XX1 chainring is 10-speed compatible. It's bloomin expensive mind and has a funky BCD but that could still be a nice upgrade for the 1x10 crowd if they're right.

No they're not - it's less than half the price of XTR, and cheaper than X.0, verging on reasonable!
    What gears is the range on XX1 eqivalent to on a standard 22-32-42 triple with 11-36t cassette with the 32t XX1 chainring?

Well a 24/32/42 with 11-36 gives you 17.3"-99". XX1 with a 32t ring gives you 19.8"-83", so you lose a gear off the bottom - the easiest is near identical to 24-32, and you lose one gear off the top.
  • supersonic wrote:
    I think weight is a factor - dropping the front mech and shifter but keeping a wide range will reduce complexity and weight. It is a good idea and something I predicted years ago. Starting it with XX1 though, right at the top, will get people to splash a lot of money and they will rake it in. Then it will trickle down.

Good tactics if it works and people do buy it. At these prices though, I can't see it. I think they have been greedy and they might not get this opportunity again. If they had pitched it at X9 level, I'd predict they would have been more profitable even at lower margins due to the higher volume of take up.
  • bennett_346
    njee20 wrote:

Well a 24/32/42 with 11-36 gives you 17.3"-99". XX1 with a 32t ring gives you 19.8"-83", so you lose half a gear off the bottom - the easiest is near identical to 24-32, and you lose one gear off the top.
    That's decent in my eyes. I reckon i'd go for the 34t for a bit more top end though.
    lawman wrote:

I've found my 10 speed xt stuff has lasted really, I got 18 months out of everything except the BB, which I do have a habit of destroying :lol:
    That's promising, i just ditched my shitty sram 10 speed for slx 10 speed. XT chainset to replace the final bit of sram on the bike coming soon.
  • bennett_346
    supersonic wrote:

Good tactics if it works and people do buy it. At these prices though, I can't see it. I think they have been greedy and they might not get this opportunity again. If they had pitched it at X9 level, I'd predict they would have been more profitable even at lower margins due to the higher volume of take up.
    Excuse if im wrong, but isn't pitching new gear at the top to do with ofsetting the cost of new machines for the new kit? And then filtering down once it has proved it will sell well?
  • supersonic
    Not always - Shimano used to/still do release a lot of innovative stuff further down the range. Deore used to be a test bed, and things trickled up!
  • bennett_346
    Ah i see, never knew that about Deore. What sort of things did they test through it?
  • Northwind
    njee20 wrote:
    No they're not - it's less than half the price of XTR, and cheaper than X.0, verging on reasonable!

Both of those are ridiculously expensive too. And this is a single ring, so no complex shifting ramps etc- there's very little extra machining compared to a standard £30 alu single ring.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    I don't think that's fair when you look at the tooth profiles. I don't think it's particularly bad I must say.
    Ah i see, never knew that about Deore. What sort of things did they test through it?

I'm also intrigued by that, I can't think of anything that's been 'tested' through the most recent iteration of Deore - ie the last 9 speed group from the last 10 years or so.

Shadow Plus and disc brakes both came in at XT and filtered up and down, but plenty of stuff (HT2, Dual Controls, Shadow mechs, two-way release shifters) were only on XTR.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I'm pretty sure the 575 brakes (think they were Deore) were the only flip flop Shimano brakes made and that the 595's were the first to use the new split bar clamp. Plus didn't they do a 36t 9 speed Deore cassette?
  • Northwind
    Yup, daft 12-36 thing, just to tease us.

Shadow Plus was XTR first, incidentally, not XT.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    They do an HG50 12-36 aye. They did the slotted hubs too back in the day come to think of it.
    Shadow Plus was XTR first, incidentally, not XT.

So it was, I was the wrong way round, Shadow was XT, Shadow Plus was XTR.
  • Pretty sure I've seen duel control in something other than XTR too.
  • njee20
    Yeah, it trickled down to XT and LX, but was introduced in XTR M960 in 2003.
  • supersonic
    Some of what I was thinking was XT, you are correct. The hubs was another, but was mentioned, as were the 575 brakes and cassette. ServoWave hydro was also first on XT. Infact I think hydros first appeared on XT too. So definitely a fair bit of trickle up!
  • njee20
    Yep, hydros definitely first came on XT - the 4-pot M755s, great brakes! Servo Wave still hasn't made it onto XTR has it? Or is it on the Trail brakes? Not on the Race I know.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Servo wave is on both the current XTR brakes.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Servo wave is on both the current XTR brakes.

THe race brakes don't have the servo wave cam afaik, only on the trail brakes.
  • njee20
    Nope, Race brakes definitely don't have Servo Wave - I've got 'em! Still awesome brakes though!