10 -42 T cassette!

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited November 2012 in MTB general
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/SRAM-XX1-O ... -2012.html

p4pb8343056.jpg

SRAM XX1 One by Eleven Drivetrain is Official
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Looks awesome does it not!

Very possibly my favorite looking product for this year.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    erm. wow. when would you possibly use that??

nevermind just saw its for 1x
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I can see the bottom of that mech snorkelling through the mire at times.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Mech only has to handle 32. X3s are about 45, so shorter cages can be used.
  • Chunkers1980
    I think this is the solution to everything geared externally with chains.

32 up front will cover most things.
  • bennett_346
    It'll still never be enough range for me. I use the 22t+36t loads in my regular areas, as well as the 42t+11t a fair amount on the same rides.
  • Chunkers1980
    Yes, I do sort of agree with that. Just you don't really need that higher gear, you can spin a bit more to compensate. 11t to 10t is a high percentage difference.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Shame it's SRAM :lol:
    What the hell is that bollorks they're talking about in the "horizontal parallelogram" section?
    Utter gibberish.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    the 42t part is too far, and imo, a 9t cog would better at the bottom end. a 9-38t would be about right i reckon, although tbh, a 9-36 would allow a 32t ring, and then frankly if you can't climb most things in a 32/36 combo, you shouldn't be on a 1x drivetrain.

I await a shimano version with electronics and said range cassette :lol: (clutching at straws much?)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    lawman wrote:
    if you can't climb most things in a 32/36 combo, you shouldn't be on a 1x drivetrain.
    Most? Most things are fine. But granny rings are still needed on SOME climbs.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    lawman wrote:
    the 42t part is too far, and imo, a 9t cog would better at the bottom end. a 9-38t would be about right i reckon, although tbh, a 9-36 would allow a 32t ring, and then frankly if you can't climb most things in a 32/36 combo, you shouldn't be on a 1x drivetrain.

I await a shimano version with electronics and said range cassette :lol: (clutching at straws much?)

You wouldn't have a hope in hell of climbing some stuff here on 32.
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    supersonic wrote:
    lawman wrote:

lawman wrote:
    if you can't climb most things in a 32/36 combo, you shouldn't be on a 1x drivetrain.

surely he's not arguing that, merely saying if you can't climb 'most' things [which is obviously dependent on your area/route/location/type of riding etc] in a 32 you shouldn't be using a 1x drivetrain, that's a valid point surely as most 1x won't use less than a 32 up front.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Something that big with catch on a lot of things but I don't think it'll ever catch on. Might be ok for people who only ride well groomed trail centre stuff.

It's not for me, I'm out.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • YeehaaMcgee
    MDobs wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    lawman wrote:

lawman wrote:

surely he's not arguing that, merely saying if you can't climb 'most' things [which is obviously dependent on your area/route/location/type of riding etc] in a 32 you shouldn't be using a 1x drivetrain, that's a valid point surely as most 1x won't use less than a 32 up front.
    But with a 42T at the rear, and say a 34 on the front, you'll get up some pretty damned steep stuff. Maybe negating the need for a granny entirely.
    I see the point to this, but... it's SRAM! :lol:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited July 2012
    MDobs wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    lawman wrote:

lawman wrote:

But isn't that the point? That you can use a 1x11 where you wouldn't be able to use a 1x9 or 10.

As for wanting a higher gear range.....That's a daft comment, just put a bigger chainring on, it'll do the same without having to redesign the freehub 'standard'! :lol:
    Edit: ah, this uses a special freehub too. But my point still stands.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    oodboo wrote:
    Something that big with catch on a lot of things but I don't think it'll ever catch on. Might be ok for people who only ride well groomed trail centre stuff.

It's not for me, I'm out.

Yeah I am hitting my cassette on stuff all the time. They should make that 42 tooth a bash guard instead. :roll:

I reckon a 32/42 setup is the same as a 22/28 set up ratio wise - I currently have 22/32 as my lowest gear so seems like I'd be slightly compromised but it might not kill me I guess especially as I'd save many many 100ths of grams losing one chain ring and my wallet would be lighter too.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A 1x10 might work very well though with a lower ring - use a 28 ring, then your low gear would be 28/42 (0.6666), equivalent to a 22/33 set up. Top end would be 28/9, same as a 38/11. Nice range, but not for all. Or even less up front.
  • bennett_346
    Ditto the "it's sram" comments. Ditched my sram X9 10 speed last weekend for some shimano slx and so far its in another league.
  • Hmmm would there be any "technical" reason why you couldn't use a double (say 22/34). Only problem for me is........ It's SRAM!! :roll: :lol:. *Waits for Shimano.

Thanks.
  • Chunkers1980
    Not really, still in long cage league. It's the mech that would need to go to 42 teeth.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    MDobs wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    lawman wrote:

lawman wrote:

But with a 42T at the rear, and say a 34 on the front, you'll get up some pretty damned steep stuff. Maybe negating the need for a granny entirely.
    I see the point to this, but... it's SRAM! :lol:

I admit granny rings have their place, their are a few places locally where you could argue you need them. So far whilst at uni I have run out of gears twice, once because I was absolutely knackered and second because it was bloody steep. However I got just as far as anyone else did with a granny ring, and further than some too. It's just most of the time I don't feel the need for it, and I love the weight saving a security of my chain devise too.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I think it's a shame they're not doing a slightly narrower range block. The 10-42 would add weight and have massive gaps, but a 10-36 or 11-40 or something would be good, just offer a bit more range.

Personally I find 36/36 a low enough gear for everything I ride, but would probably take the wider range if it was available.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    now if they could only figure out some way of putting 11 gears with about a 400% ratio inside a hub...

nah, that'd never work.

http://road.cc/content/news/13981-shima ... ideo-added

"total range is 409%"
  • njee20
    now if they could only figure out some way of putting 11 gears with about a 400% ratio inside a hub without making it weigh more than a cheaper and less efficient than a dérailleur set up...

FTFY.
  • njee20
    Than a Rohloff? I'll say yes considering a Rohloff still needs cranks/cog/chain etc etc, and weighs more than an SLX set up.
  • bennett_346
    I just like the granny ring because i usually mess around seeing what stupid stuff i can try and climb a la trials.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    lawman wrote:
    It's just most of the time I don't feel the need for it, and I love the weight saving a security of my chain devise too.
    Well, sounds ideal for you then. Weight saving, by only having one ring - and you can still have a chain device, and a cop-out gear for those times you need it.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    njee20 wrote:
    Than a Rohloff? I'll say yes considering a Rohloff still needs cranks/cog/chain etc etc, and weighs more than an SLX set up.

alfine 11 speed hub is £257 from bike-discount.de

but, + single cranks + chain + rear cog + tensioner + shifter