10 -42 T cassette!

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That would still work out cheaper, but doesn't Alfine have a narrower range? And that's definitely heavier.

It's a different solution I say, if they could make hub gears lighter then they'd be more viable for top end stuff I reckon.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Alfine and Rohloff won;t work on a full suss bike either, unless you have, basically, a rear mech.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    njee20 wrote:
    That would still work out cheaper, but doesn't Alfine have a narrower range? And that's definitely heavier.

400% for the 11 speed.

A 10-42 cassette is, well, 420%, so not very different.

Alfine and Rohloff won;t work on a full suss bike either, unless you have, basically, a rear mech.

True... superstars sprung loaded £10 widget? its a good bit simpler than a rear mech.

jocky%20ten.jpg
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That 'basically' provides the function of a rear mech that's needed.
  • njee20
    Fair enough, so there's a cheaper, heavier, less efficient solution.

Does that tell us much?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think I'll stick with my 44/32/22 and 32/11 lol.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    this ^
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    yep - seems over the top to me. 22/36 x 11-32 - does me fine
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Really like the idea of a low gear, single ring, Could climb anything I've seen in Wales with that on 36 single ring no issues. And as for the SRAM, Shimano debate, after testing i'm still as SRAM boy it maybe not as slick to change but its far more solid in gear I find.

But horses for courses, think this is a great idea would have it on my bike.
  • How much is this XX1 likely to be pitched at? I can't see any talk of pricing anywhere on the net? I'm assuming very expensive. But how expensive is that? Does one HAVE to use the specific front chain ring, chain and rear derailleur with this kit to make it work?
  • njee20
    It's between XX and X.0 in price, there are prices around, one of the German sites had it listed. The cassette is obviously the expensive part - £330, plus £70 for the freehub body.

You'll have to use the rear mech, chain, cassette and shifter, you could use a different chainset and a guide if you wanted, but it would defeat half the purpose of the groupset.
  • A found a website with a review in it talking about it. It reckons that the price will be $1149.00 for the entire groupset.
    So maybe in the UK that may become about £800 for the whole thing? Dunno. It's far enough out of my price range to not have to care now.
    I wonder if Hope's 9x36 will be priced lower, or if Shimano are going to bring something out at a lower price point. I fear this will take a year or two to trickle down to the mainstream and become affordable. Oh well. Will carry on with my 1x10 plans I think.
  • njee20
    If it catches on we'll see a cheaper cassette, which is the crazy expensive part. No different to XX.
  • If it is "priced between X0 and XX" then the cassette would be less than £249.99 as that is the current price of the XX one on Chain Reaction. I don't know if an X0 SRAM casette exists?
    The current XX sram shifter is about £100 and the rear mech about £140.
  • I want one. Don't know why, I just do. I do 99% of my pedaling with my middle chainring anyway, so having a cassette that "goes up to 11" sounds perfect.
  • A found a website with a review in it talking about it. It reckons that the price will be $1149.00 for the entire groupset.
    So maybe in the UK that may become about £800 for the whole thing?
    Unlikely. if it's $1149 stateside, then it will invariably £1149 here in the UK.
  • njee20
    If it is "priced between X0 and XX" then the cassette would be less than £249.99 as that is the current price of the XX one on Chain Reaction. I don't know if an X0 SRAM casette exists?
    The current XX sram shifter is about £100 and the rear mech about £140.

Well no, talking retail rather than 'what it can be had for', XX is £330 for a cassette, so that's actually the same. XX has come down a bit, so it's really only cheaper by exclusion and the chainset.

The prices of XX1 are actually on the Fisher website:

Cassette: £330
    Rear mech: £240
    Chain: £50
    Trigger shifter: £140 (Grip Shift £130)
    GXP Chainset: £250+ BB (BB30 slightly more)

Spare rings are £70-£90

For comparison, XX is:
    Cassette: £330
    Rear mech: £225
    Front mech: £96-£110
    Chain: £50
    Trigger shifter: £250
    GXP Chainset: £390+ BB (BB30 slightly more)
    I don't know if an X0 SRAM casette exists?

Luckily, I do, as I commented on it: XG-1080 cassette, RRP of £225, still lighter (but more expensive) than XTR.
  • So the groupset costs about as much as my bike cost me to build. For that reason, I am out.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • How the HELL can they justify a £240 price tag on a rear mech, and £50 for the chain?
  • Because there's plenty of investment bankers willing to pay it.
  • njee20
    The jockey wheels (if they're like XX) are >£100, and last no time at all!

Most top end chains are £50, if not more: X10SL, Dura Ace/XTR etc. they'll be available for much less!
  • I don't really understand why a manufacturer cannot bring to market a 1x10 or 1x11 setup with wider ratio coverage than 11-36 cassettes, that is affordable. People would buy it in great numbers. Hope talked about their 9x36 setup but that requires a hope Pro2 Evo hub as I recall to work, plus Hope stuff is typically priced high. Atleast with Hope the 9x36 should use existing chain rings and chain setups. But this is Hope. They have talked about it for 2 years and nothing has come to market.

It would be good to see this all trickle down to the mainstream but it feels like it will take a couple of years for manufacturers to get real and stop thinking they can charge eye watering prices. Nobody will buy this SRAM XX1 stuff unless they race and/or have sponsorship or very deep pockets. I think thats a fair minority of MTB riders.

It would be good to see Shimano give this a pop. Competition from more manufacturers will always help to bring down prices. I don't understand what is so hard about it either and why it takes so long to bring this stuff to market. I'm sure with a milling machine I could knock something up in a day. ;) Seriously though...it's like they make out it's the holy grail and hence can only be bought for £££. No...it's a cassette, only slightly different and what riders want. So make and we'll buy it. Done.

What also gets me (nearly done with my rant honest) is the above prices are for premium brands yes, but they are the most consumable part of a MTB! They will wear out in time. You can almost feel your wallet bleeding on each pedal stroke. "Oh that last crunch must have been worth 10 pence".

I've given up. Think I will stick with a 1x10 conversion and go 32 with 11-36. Compromise for me but I don't want a front mech or shifter.
  • I don't really understand why a manufacturer cannot bring to market a 1x10 or 1x11 setup with wider ratio coverage than 11-36 cassettes, that is affordable.
    I totally agree. We don't particularly need 9-tooth sprockets, what we need, in order to give a genuinely useful range with a single ring, is to have a larger sprocket. so, say 42-11.
  • njee20
    If you're 20km from civilisation one gear just isn't enough.

Depends on the gear, 12 miles isn't that far...
    We don't particularly need 9-tooth sprockets, what we need, in order to give a genuinely useful range with a single ring, is to have a larger sprocket. so, say 42-11.

Whilst I agree, I've a feeling (and it could be wrong) there are issues physically fitting them onto a conventional freehub body with sufficient clearance, hence the driver body that SRAM are using, or the integrated freehub that Hope are using.
    People would buy it in great numbers. Hope talked about their 9x36 setup but that requires a hope Pro2 Evo hub as I recall to work, plus Hope stuff is typically priced high. Atleast with Hope the 9x36 should use existing chain rings and chain setups. But this is Hope. They have talked about it for 2 years and nothing has come to market.

No they wouldn't. A minority of riders would probably buy it. Hope stuff isn't exactly crazy expensive, mid-range at best. But XX1 technology will trickle down, we'll see X.0/X.9 level equivalents within a year or two. These things always get introduced at the top end, economics isn't it. Early adopters pay for the privilege.
  • I dunno, Njee. I remember those cheapo cassettes with MASSIVE largest sprockets on beginner bikes.
    No idea what tooth size they were, but they were definitely substantially bigger than the second largest sprocket, so, I'm guessing 38 tooth at the very least.
  • njee20
    Nope, only 34t on Mega Range, just a massive jump from the 28(?) which made it look crazy.
  • really? Bloody hell. So... Why didn't they use standard mtb gearing? How strange!
  • njee20
    Avoid massive jumps I guess, it's more a 'bail out' gear.
  • I'd have thought massive gear jumps would have been ideal for the suggested audience.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I don't really understand why a manufacturer cannot bring to market a 1x10 or 1x11 setup with wider ratio coverage than 11-36 cassettes, that is affordable.

36 is getting near the limits of current rear mechs so it needs that as well as the cassette (though... I say that, maybe it's not true, Shimano insisted that 34 was the limit of their 9-speed mechs until they decided to make a 36T cassette)
    Uncompromising extremist