Voodoo Bokor - Updated 17/4/13

Comments

• DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    Just been for a quick ride around some local woods, Was fun!

kq5h3.jpg

Was still plenty of snow aswell! This is on a local farm track and it last snowed 5 days ago lol.

21dnde8.jpg

Oh and the wheels were bough second hand, for a good price. Much better than my old wheelset!
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    You might need a bigger fame, how tall are you!
  • DanDax1990
    I'm 5'10/11, The frame is a Medium (18")

I have 250mm of the seatpost showing, the minimum insertion line is 350mm.

I wouldn't enjoy it as much if it was a large, This size is fine. I can move about on it better and drop the post for the trickier sections.

Reach is fine but I'm gonna give a shorter stem a try, Maybe 60/70mm.
  • pnev
    You must have one hell of an inside leg measurement then!
  • pnev
    Hmmm sorry I can't get my head round the saddle height then, that would blow my knees out and I'm 6"2

Although it is your bike so you know how you fit it better than me :)
  • DanDax1990
    It's not like a full on XC frame, It's more aggressive hence the 140mm travel.
  • pnev
    I know, I've got a 20" Wanga ;)
  • DanDax1990
    I'm trying to persuade my brother to get a Wanga, Nice bikes!
  • dkl_uk
    dkl_uk Posts: 3
    Hi there

I've had a 29er since Feb 2012 and had a fair few issues with the wheels. I was told by someone who works for the cycles section of Snow & Rock that the standard Alexrims that come with this bike are cheap. Is that correct?

My issue has been a regular need for trueing, the back wheel has just been swapped under warranty due to spokes becoming loose after a service and one spoke snapping. I know there's a bit more play with the oversize wheels but this has been getting ridiculous now, with the front wheel at one point having me cycling diagonally at occasions due to the amount of spokes that were becoming loose.

Also, what upgrades would you suggest for safety from a stock bike? Pretty much everything is standard apart from a new back wheel which is an Alexrim from a Boardman 29er that Halfords stock (Assuming this would be any better quality coming from a Boardman).

As I literally have no idea how to service the bike and can only take the wheels off before my dismantling knowledge runs out, I could do with some advice.

Pic attached for interested parties...
  • DanDax1990
    Look on park tools website for help with servicing and so on. The standard wheels are budget wheels, If you can afford to its worth upgrading them for definite!
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Just been for a quick ride around some local woods, Was fun!

kq5h3.jpg

Was still plenty of snow aswell! This is on a local farm track and it last snowed 5 days ago lol.

21dnde8.jpg

Oh and the wheels were bough second hand, for a good price. Much better than my old wheelset!

I really like what youve done to this bike, youve done absolutely everything i would have done to my bike haha. Red blingggg! You certainly love this bike, no two ways about it :D Looks really really nice and clean. Nice one!
  • dkl_uk
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Look on park tools website for help with servicing and so on. The standard wheels are budget wheels, If you can afford to its worth upgrading them for definite!

After a bit more research it would appear the back wheel on stock Alex rims tend to pop spokes out at random even on flat rides.

Currently the issue I have that won't go away is the rim has a very obvious slant, the wheel has literally just been put on brand new but when I spin the wheel and touch the rim with my finger it moves away and returns again with each revolution.

I do have adjusters on either side of the frame to the rear where the gears and brake are that change the horizontal axis of the wheel but obviously they would cause a permanent axis issue rather than a revolution based one.
  • DanDax1990
    Take me some pictures mate so I can see better... See if we can solve the issues...
  • DanDax1990
    Cheers Arrowhead, I really enjoy it. Just changed to bars to some Answer Pro Taper 720mm 1" rise. Feels a lot comfier already.
  • dkl_uk
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Take me some pictures mate so I can see better... See if we can solve the issues...

Back to Evans today for a second opinion, he basically said the wheel isn't true - and it's brand new and put on as of Saturday. Apparently some spokes were 17, some were 15 and I was told the minimum is 17.

It's literally the same issue as the year old wheel though, but at least I now know it's definitely not a frame issue.

I could just take a video of me holding my finger against the rim as it travels toward and then away from my fingertip, but i'm sure we've all seen that happen before and would confirm the lack of true-ness...
  • shdaxner
    shdaxner Posts: 249
    Thought i would upload the photo of your bars we took yesterday for you Dan........show all you friends just how tartlike you are :wink:

8628749140_a4d5e5ddaa_c.jpg
  • DanDax1990
    Haha cheers, Anymore pics of mine?
  • shdaxner
    No, I only had this one and one of both bikes because I forgot my cameras memory card didn't I doh...
  • DanDax1990
    nowqau.jpg

Stopped for a quick picture during todays ride home from work.
  • bond-007
    bond-007 Posts: 87
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    nowqau.jpg

Stopped for a quick picture during todays ride home from work.

Whats the Rubber Queens like dan? Do you use them on the road much?
  • DanDax1990
    Yeah pretty much 50/50. They roll better than my High Rollers and these are way bigger. Too big to be honest lol.

Only using them because I had a 2" piece of glass in rear High Roller and got these for dirt cheap.

Gonna try these in a couple of week - http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bm ... onttymf188
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Can't belive you just called your bike ugly in another thread - traitor! Wicked bike man I'm loving the beige grips and colour scheme in general
  • DanDax1990
    Ahem, They're not beige, They're glow in the dark! Apparently haha.

http://on-one.co.uk/i/q/BTOOLOG/on_one_ ... k_on_grips

I actually think I'm gonna change the grips, even though they're nice I'm not sure of the colour now that I've changed my bars to white.

And cheers, I love it really lol.
  • DanDax1990
    2f0dk7l.jpg

Just done my local loop, The majority was still nice and quite dry but there were section like half set concrete lol Fun times! This is my fav spot.
  • bond-007
    bond-007 Posts: 87
    edited April 2013
    What size are the tyres you have on at the moment ?
    I do a fair bit of roadin but not going to try death defyin corner speeds a fairly average performing tyre on road would do but a good tyrs off road would suit best if theres such a thing lol.. Should i try the Queens??

Seriously need a good tyre was out today (road only) and got a puncture, caused by the smallest of thorns !
  • shdaxner
    Im not sure and you shouldn't quote me on this but i think his tyres are second hand tractor tyres.....

I may be wrong so Dan may have to clear this one up :wink: