USADA files doping charges against Lance

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    DNQ wrote:
    This video of McQuaid being interviewed (to get the above in context even if it only displays his general attitude to it) doesn't seem to play without a few refreshes on my machine

You can't blame McQuaid for that !

:) !
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I don't think he does a bad job there actually - A lot of what he says is true. The UCI cannot do a WADA/USADA like investigation, I think it will be more than one day, but I don't think it will have much effect on cycling. By next years Het Neuwsblad we ll all have forgotten it. They can only do the tests available at the time - even if they re crap tests and all they can do now is wait for th einvestigation to be over...

The important questions about the doctors being banned were never asked unfortunatly....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18813674

Right, nobody's allowed to laugh when reading this from Ferrari, so no sniggering at the back okay.
  • ddraver
    (drunk)

I ll save it for tomorrow buddy!
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-tea ... -1.1113450

Also, the reporter who's got the data says there are a number of OFF scores over 100.

And a congressman has waded in saying he doesn't approve of what USADA are doing. The gave him a pretty smart answer
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Daily News wrote:
    ... a spreadsheet and two graphs...
    I hope BB (RIP) got the credit

EDIT and another thing that article reminds me of: plasticisers - haven't heard much about them recently, you'd have thought that ever since Bertie's mythical steak we'd be seeing more boil-in-the-bag samples?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Saw cyclocosm tweeted BB's favourite graph.
  • ddraver
    bompington wrote:
    Daily News wrote:
    ... a spreadsheet and two graphs...
    I hope BB (RIP) got the credit

EDIT and another thing that article reminds me of: plasticisers - haven't heard much about them recently, you'd have thought that ever since Bertie's mythical steak we'd be seeing more boil-in-the-bag samples?

The problem remains the same though, there is still no proper test for them.
    - @ddraver
  • DNQ
    DNQ Posts: 45
    I read somewhere that the composition of blood bags has been changed, that could render the tests obsolete!
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    iainf72 wrote:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/u-s-anti-doping-agency-studies-lance-armstrong-2009-blood-attempt-convict-cheater-article-1.1113450

Also, the reporter who's got the data says there are a number of OFF scores over 100.

And a congressman has waded in saying he doesn't approve of what USADA are doing. The gave him a pretty smart answer

"Three days after USADA made the shocking claim, on June 15, the organization sent Armstrong and his attorneys a spreadsheet and two graphs reflecting the lab tests on the 38 samples."

I thought LA claimed USADA didn't share any of the data/proof with him?
  • iainf72
    skylla wrote:

I thought LA claimed USADA didn't share any of the data/proof with him?

He's already been caught for being a moron in this one when he claimed something in one of his responses, and then claimed something different a couple of pages later.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    iainf72 wrote:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-team/u-s-anti-doping-agency-studies-lance-armstrong-2009-blood-attempt-convict-cheater-article-1.1113450

Sorry what would a score of over 100 mean ?

Also why didn't the UCI pick up on this. Cover up again
  • mfin
    DNQ wrote:
    I read somewhere that the composition of blood bags has been changed, that could render the tests obsolete!

Not sure there on new bags, ....but what has definitely been refered to is the bags used for red cells/compete blood have the plasticizers, in simple terms, the plasticizers contribute to keeping the walls of the red cells nice and pliable, ...but the bags for plasma don't have plasticizers, they're not needed for the job they do on the red cells, cos the cells aren't there (or it could be they're no good for white cells?).

Remember, people get some extra red cells or complete blood in them (the plasma of which your body gets rid of quickly) and then they need to get plasma on board again or the balance will look all wrong.

If they have changed the bags it will be interesting, OR maybe cyclists would just store the blood in bags with no plasticizers now they know plasticizers might be being looked for?? I dunno. Must get some time to go searching for the answers to some of this.
  • iainf72
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... MmMw&pli=1

OFF score over 100 = suspicious for blood manipulation
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Disappointingly the off-score is fine for the tests in and around the showergate thing.
  • DNQ
    DNQ Posts: 45
    Disappointingly the off-score is fine for the tests in and around the showergate thing.
    So he was "clean" in both senses then. :D
  • iainf72
  • Lichtblick
    Lichtblick Posts: 1,434
    Good piece here in Cycle Sport IMO

http://www.cyclesportmag.com/news-and-c ... me-begins/
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    Lichtblick wrote:

Excellent article by Birnie. :D The comments that follow it are pure theatre. :lol:
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    wonder if the JB hearing will before the LA one or if they will be together as when the evidence comes out it will affect both of them
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    Lichtblick wrote:

CycleSport cracks me up. They hitched their wagon to LA for years, to the point that it was annoying having the main article and the cover be LA seemingly every month. Now it's Sky/Cav and they rip on LA every month. Who will be the next coat tails to ride on.

(for all the boys who get their knickers in a wad, my comment has nothing to do with whether the article is good or whether LA doped or not)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

CycleSport cracks me up. They hitched their wagon to LA for years, to the point that it was annoying having the main article and the cover be LA seemingly every month. Now it's Sky/Cav and they rip on LA every month. Who will be the next coat tails to ride on.

It doesn't sound all that unusual. I mean the zero to hero to zero and maybe back again. Seems like it's just the way it is when you're a celeb. I think most of them come to accept it as "the way it is" and it's the price you pay to be adored by the masses.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    dennisn wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

It doesn't sound all that unusual. I mean the zero to hero to zero and maybe back again. Seems like it's just the way it is when you're a celeb. I think most of them come to accept it as "the way it is" and it's the price you pay to be adored by the masses.

I know it's not unusual, it's just annoying and it's funny because they do it to themselves. If they just had even coverage and not just focused on one team or rider they would not have to flip flop.
  • dennisn
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

I know it's not unusual, it's just annoying and it's funny because they do it to themselves. If they just had even coverage and not just focused on one team or rider they would not have to flip flop.
    I can understand a magazine being all over, whomever is "hot" at the time, with bunches of superlatives. I don't quite follow why they would slam someone who's not. Anyone can become "hot" again, people do have memories, and holding grudges is not all that uncommon. If you're a cycling mag it would not seem wise to alienate yourself from the sports personalties and history. Report what's happening and leave the rants to the last page.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    mercsport wrote:
    Lichtblick wrote:

Excellent article by Birnie. :D The comments that follow it are pure theatre. :lol:

"What happened to you Cycle Sport? You used to be cool".

Poor buggers.
  • dennisn
    I've been wrong all along. All that posting about LA is not creepy. Almost two days without an LA post, now that's creepy.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    Great. Thanks for letting us know.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    dennisn wrote:
    I've been wrong all along. All that posting about LA is not creepy. Almost two days without an LA post, now that's creepy.
    Finally we agree :)
  • dennisn
    dougzz wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Finally we agree :)

And they said it would never happen. Me, a protege(or alter ego) of "bikingbernie" agreeing with anyone.