USADA files doping charges against Lance

Comments

• RoadPainter
    RoadPainter Posts: 375
    This thread's going to reach 100 pages before the Tour reaches Paris.
    Unfact
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    mfin wrote:

Conspiracy Theory #1. USADA is blackmailing LA.
    Conspiracy Theory #2. LA is trying to buy off USADA(who might accept).
    Conclusions - Either LA or USADA is corrupt. OR both are corrupt. Which sort of points to theory #2(my pick). Wouldn't surprise me in the least. I think both are in this mess for the money and or because of the money.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That's the point with LA though, it's always been about the money.....
  • dennisn
    coriordan wrote:
    That's the point with LA though, it's always been about the money.....

Let's see now. I work for a living, you work for a living, most everyone works for a living. Why do we work for a living? For the money. Some of us make more or less than others. We all want the better things in life. What does it take to have better things? Money. What do you want more of? Money(for one). What's the world run on? Money.
    You, me, LA, everyone, MONEY. What did you think it was all about? Of course it's all about the money.
  • Anonymous
    You're getting the wrong end of the stick, mate.

He's cheating, lying, using his 'charities' for questionable uses.

I don't think he gives 2 sh!ts about the philanthropy of it all, and I think you'll find its not all about the money to everyone. Quite the opposite, in fact, if you believe your management theorists.
  • Anonymous
    And as for the the 'better' things in life. For me, they aren't carbon wheels. Its a double overhead left hander, with some sunshine. No money there
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    coriordan wrote:
    And as for the the 'better' things in life. For me, they aren't carbon wheels. Its a double overhead left hander, with some sunshine. No money there
    Don't get many of them in Wandsworth. Mind you I've just had a fortnight in Croyde with mainly half underknee and rain
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dennisn
    coriordan wrote:

He's cheating, lying, using his 'charities' for questionable uses.

I don't think he gives 2 sh!ts about the philanthropy of it all, and I think you'll find its not all about the money to everyone. Quite the opposite, in fact, if you believe your management theorists.

If you think it's "questionable" then don't contribute.
    As for his "philanthropy" you could be right or you could be wrong. Your choice.
    Never said it was "ALL about the money" but I would challenge you to find someone who doesn't want more. If you do find them please tell them that I will take any excess cash they have off their hands.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    to me this all smacks of someone trying to wriggle themselves off the hook any way they can.

Either fight the charges with USADA or me a man and admit it.

Don't try all this you have no jurisdiction over me or getting politicians involved in this. USADA are the anti doping body of the USA. Last time I checked LA is a US citizen and races under the US flag, end of on that score
  • Anonymous
    dennisn wrote:
    Of course it's all about the money.
    dennisn wrote:
    Never said it was "ALL about the money"

Yes you did.

Anyway, you and I are being to literal. You know what I mean. He's not doing it just to "help himself get by".

I would work a few more hours, suck up a bit, work harder for a bonus, not fraudulently steal from my company (not implying he's stealing from his companies fraudulently - but his actions are certainly 'questionable' - he's cheating the other cyclists by taking PEDs), and I wonder....is he doing it for the glory of the wins and the jersey, or just to rake in more cash?
  • Anonymous
    Don't get many of them in Wandsworth. Mind you I've just had a fortnight in Croyde with mainly half underknee and rain

I'm a Gwithians/Godrevy man myself, although only been out once this year. Hopefully Ireland for a week in October. Mind you, I'm a windsurfer, so I have the advantage of already being stood up when it gets big!

Apparently Brighton has been amazing this year. Not sure what its like on a surfboard when its blowing quite hard onshore though, I'm a fan of 16-20 kts side/side off!
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Is it definite that Big George has stated on oath that Lance 'I like a bit of EPO and back dating TUE's' Armstrong is a big smelly liar about doping? I mean definitely definite.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • sherer
    symo wrote:
    Is it definite that Big George has stated on oath that Lance 'I like a bit of EPO and back dating TUE's' Armstrong is a big smelly liar about doping? I mean definitely definite.
    nothings definite as all the testimony has been behind closed doors. At the end of the day it's all wait and see.
  • dennisn
    coriordan wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Of course it's all about the money.
    dennisn wrote:
    Never said it was "ALL about the money"

Yes you did.

Damn, ya got me. :oops: :oops:
  • he's cheating the other cyclists by taking PEDs

Except, and I don't think I'm being unfair here, in his prime, most of the competition were also on the hot sauce.

Andy
  • Anonymous
    True true, but I think its too cheesy to say he's cheating the fans......and it fitted well with my analogy.

Also, I think it meant lots of people who were VERY promising debuting pros would never go anywhere without PEDs so went to pull pints and compete in local races.....unlike, say Millar.
  • sherer
    he's cheating the other cyclists by taking PEDs

Except, and I don't think I'm being unfair here, in his prime, most of the competition were also on the hot sauce.

Andy

yes and no. USPS had a team wide doping programme and after the other team cut back after Festina 98 they carried on and allegedly had the UCI in their pocket. No other team had that plus EPO the drug of choice stopped being used except by USPS so they were able to go way above and beyond what other teams could do.
  • cyclopath
    cyclopath Posts: 71
    JIngs! Crivens! and Help me Boab.

81 pages

And in only a month.

Just who'd 've thunk it? :roll:
  • dennisn
    sherer wrote:
    symo wrote:
    nothings definite as all the testimony has been behind closed doors. At the end of the day it's all wait and see.

What happens "at the end of the day" if they, whomever they are, don't tell you?
    What if they never tell you, like the Grand Jury thing?
  • dennisn
    symo wrote:

Wow, "a big smelly liar". Now that takes me back. To maybe 1st. or 2nd. grade. :roll:
  • sherer
    dennisn wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    symo wrote:

What happens "at the end of the day" if they, whomever they are, don't tell you?
    As long as USADA get the chance to investigate this properly I will be happy with this.

Wishy washy acticle on Big George here that basically says nothing

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/18/sport ... ml?_r=2&hp
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Another article worth a scan read, (in it is also says the hearing with Sam Sparks is Aug 10th regards the resubmitted 25 pages)

http://www.freep.com/usatoday/article/56322272&usatref=sportsmod?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p
    Michael McCann, director of the Sports Law Institute at Vermont, said USADA faces some risk because Armstrong "is the one athlete with the popularity and financial wherewithal to take the agency on, head-to-head."
    While McCann predicts the court is likely to uphold USADA's jurisdiction, he said a judge might find some of the agency's "testing methods or system of charging methods to be unconstitutional but that is different than a court saying USADA lacks jurisdiction to have any testing or any system of charging."
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Cyclopath wrote:

81 pages

And in only a month.

At least 40 of those are us telling Rundfahrt he's an idiot though....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dennisn
    ddraver wrote:
    Cyclopath wrote:

81 pages

And in only a month.

At least 40 of those are us telling Rundfahrt he's an idiot though....

Damn, and I thought I held the record for pages about being an idiot.
    I'm so ashamed. :oops:
    Note to self - try harder.
  • dennisn
    sherer wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    symo wrote:

As long as USADA get the chance to investigate this properly I will be happy with this.

Do you believe USADA has NO other interest in this other than what they claim? i.e. do they have an ulterior motive?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What other interests do they have Dennisn?

What are the possibly likely ulterior motives?

I can't think of any credible ones.
  • dennisn

Money??? I don't know why but I have a feeling that at the end of the day you'll find that money was / is somehow involved. The big dogs are playing this game and with them it's always about money, one way or another.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    dennisn wrote:

Money??? I don't know why but I have a feeling that at the end of the day you'll find that money was / is somehow involved. The big dogs are playing this game and with them it's always about money, one way or another.

That's not very specific is it?

And the 'money' argument can very easily be leveled at Armstrong too.

Come up with a credible specific motive or interest and I might pay attention to it.

That's what I don't get with Armstrong's current defence on twitter - he's saying it's a witch-hunt but I can't see the incentives or motives for that. No-one's been able to come up with any credible or specific ones. Just saying "money" doesn't work.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    It's jealousy. They resent success. They're obsessed, etc.