Sky Presentation to ASO (Inevitable Doping Thread alert)

1235»

Comments

• BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Jez mon wrote:
    Meh, my own personal experience along with popular current opinion seems to be that with regards to driving style, Audis are the new BMWs.
    I was thinking much the same the other day! BMW's still have a very poor image though in regards to the sort of people who seem to drive them, especially in the UK.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Car accident rates in the UK by make and colour:

tiger_table7.png

Audi drivers are just BMW drivers who haven't worked out they're w@nkers yet
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Tables :D

So Silver and Grey cars are the worst offenders?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    At last, conclusive proof that Wiggins is a doper!
    Firstly, he's on the same team as someone who drives a BMW, and as we all know, some drug dealers drive Beamers.
    And now, we have a table, and a table is mathematically equivalent to a graph!
    Anyone who doesn't accept the truth now is quite obviously a deluded fanboy who has abandoned their critical faculties.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    Certainly agree on Audi's being the new BMWs.

surprised by the high rate of accidents involving Volvo's...
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Green minis have a very high accident rate, I think Mr Bean has skewed the results though.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    What do the percentages actually mean? It's clearly not the rate of accidents per trip unless drivers of red Chryslers really do have an accident one in every four journeys...
  • skylla
    DeadCalm wrote:
    What do the percentages actually mean? It's clearly not the rate of accidents per trip unless drivers of red Chryslers really do have an accident one in every four journeys...

As it says at the top: car accident rates in the UK by make and colour. However, this doesn't take into account the number of such cars on the road - it is thus that grey and silver cars are more likely to be involved in an accident as they are more common.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Jez mon wrote:
    Meh, my own personal experience along with popular current opinion seems to be that with regards to driving style, Audis are the new BMWs.
    I was thinking much the same the other day! BMW's still have a very poor image though in regards to the sort of people who seem to drive them, especially in the UK.

Interestingly*, the Dutch boy racer still clearly favours the BMW.

*Playing fast and loose with the definition of interesting I know...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    skylla wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

As it says at the top: car accident rates in the UK by make and colour. However, this doesn't take into account the number of such cars on the road - it is thus that grey and silver cars are more likely to be involved in an accident as they are more common.

Except, if you add up the percentages for the various colours along the bottom you get 108.3, which can't be right.
  • skylla
    DeadCalm wrote:
    skylla wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

Except, if you add up the percentages for the various colours along the bottom you get 108.3, which can't be right.

Yes, clearly that doesn't make any sense. I retract what I said earlier as it turns out that it is "the percentage of drivers who told us [tiger direct] that they had had an accident in the last five years as part of the car insurance quote process".

Thus for instance: 19.9% of drivers of red Volvos have had an accident in the last five years.

http://insurance-news.tiger.co.uk/brita ... rone-cars/

PS: mine is a red skoda, yep, like the race director's. ;-)
  • skylla
    PS2: So a Red Skoda (Christian Prudhomme) is twice more accident prone than a Black Citroen (the one Hoogerland encountered).
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Tables :D

So Silver and Grey cars are the worst offenders?

I love that... especially as it doesn't consider take rate of a vehicle colour. For years Silevr/grey has been the most popular as it retains residuals more. Ergo, you need a lot more statistics to see the whole picture... like demographocs of drivers, locations etc. Can you guess I work for a car manufacturer? LOL

Back on topic. The only legal way is to take it to the courts. I guess if someone keeps pushing hard enough with internet speculation that may or may not be able to be proved, eventually someone may end with a libel case and then it would come out.... or maybe not dpending on how much money they had and whther they wanted to destroy you, oops :oops:
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • BikingBernie
    skylla wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

I thought that it did, with the percentages relating to the number of cars of each make / colour that were involved in a crash per 100 cars of that particular model / colour on the road. Ie. take 1000 silver Fiats and you would expect 55 to be involved in a crash, or 5.5% of the total number of that make/ colour on the road. Take 10,000 silver Fiats and yon would expect 555 to be involved in a crash, again 5.5% of the total number of that make/ colour on the road.

It does show what one might expect though, that it is the cars loved by the 'speeding nutter bastard' and 'I personally own the road' fraternity that are most likely to be crashed by their owners. Even Clarkson once acknowledged this tendency saying something along the lines of 'Of course that BMW driver is behaving like a selfish arsehole, it's because he is like that that he was able to earn enough money to buy the thing'. :)
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I thought that it did, with the percentages relating to the number of cars of each make / colour that were involved in a crash per 100 cars of that particular model / colour on the road. Ie. take 1000 silver Fiats and you would expect 55 to be involved in a crash, or 5.5% of the total number of that make/ colour on the road. Take 10,000 silver Fiats and yon would expect 555 to be involved in a crash, again 5.5% of the total number of that make/ colour on the road.

It's about population isn't it? you may have 5.5% at silver and 1% of red, but if the number of silver cars is 1000 times higher (or more) [BTW Red has poor residuals] then you are more likely to be involved with an accident with a silver car because there is a higher liklihood, as there are more opportunities for that to happen. I don't see where that corresponds to that... though it does provide a nice data point for insurers to take their particular point of view and use the data to help drive up premiums on some vehicles and colour...
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • BikingBernie
    brettjmcc wrote:
    It's about population isn't it? you may have 5.5% at silver and 1% of red, but if the number of silver cars is 1000 times higher (or more) [BTW Red has poor residuals] then you are more likely to be involved with an accident with a silver car because there is a higher liklihood, as there are more opportunities for that to happen. I don't see where that corresponds to that... though it does provide a nice data point for insurers to take their particular point of view and use the data to help drive up premiums on some vehicles and colour...
    Er, no. What you are saying would only make sense if some third party group of drivers had been asked what model of car and of what colour had crashed into them. This survey looked at the claim rates for the owners of each model / colour. The color of the vehicle they 'were in collision with', if any, was not relevant.

As to your comment about insurance companies, surely it is in their interests for them to identify the 'crash magnets' and weight their premiums accordingly, whilst at the same time lowering premiums, and so attracting as many customers as is possible, for those groups for whom there is relatively little risk of having to pay out for a claim?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Are we done with car insurance?

I thought it was a funny way to make a point :P
  • BikingBernie
    Are we done with car insurance?

I thought it was a funny way to make a point :P
    Sorry, but given that the 'moderator' had joined in the discussion I guess we all thought we had his 'permission' to talk about the topic. :lol:
  • ddraver
    I think you'd have everyone's full support if BB disappeared for a few weeks Rick......
    - @ddraver
  • BikingBernie
    ddraver wrote:
    I think you'd have everyone's full support if BB disappeared for a few weeks Rick......

Black-Sabbath-Mob-Rules-Deluxe-Edition.jpg
  • ddraver
    Great album!
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver wrote:

Don't worry - racing starts again on Saturday and Bernie is hopelessly out of his depth on the topic of actual cycling. Pseudo-intellectual French philosophers are remarkably silent on Sagan's green jersey chances or Rabobank's esoteric tactics so he has no opinions to cut and paste.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • skylla
    skylla wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:

It does show what one might expect though, that it is the cars loved by the 'speeding nutter bastard' and 'I personally own the road' fraternity that are most likely to be crashed by their owners. Even Clarkson once acknowledged this tendency saying something along the lines of 'Of course that BMW driver is behaving like a selfish arsehole, it's because he is like that that he was able to earn enough money to buy the thing'. :)

Yes, see my explanation and link in my post above at13:09.