Sky Presentation to ASO (Inevitable Doping Thread alert)

Comments

• patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Back onto the presentation, there is some speculation on Twitter from UCI_overlord that said visit may have involved a donation to ASO.
    Not Pat McQuaid (@UCI_Overlord)
    14/06/12 7:42 AM
    @Velocentric there's more to that story. there was a donation.

This is as yet unsourced so could be bunkum...
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    patchy wrote:
    Back onto the presentation, there is some speculation on Twitter from UCI_overlord that said visit may have involved a donation to ASO.
    Not Pat McQuaid (@UCI_Overlord)
    14/06/12 7:42 AM
    @Velocentric there's more to that story. there was a donation.

This is as yet unsourced so could be bunkum...

What on earth benefit would Sky get from making a donation to ASO? I've given up following @UCI_Overlord. Bunkum is too kind for much of what he spouts.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Think the donation was to the UCI
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    iainf72 wrote:

On the grounds that this is true (and Iain has an annoying ability to be correct about everything!).

Ah, oh. Oh dear. Why, why on earth hand money over. I get the presentation, it's a bit weird, but fine. As soon as money starts trading hands, it just looks terrible.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • iainf72
    Jez mon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

On the grounds that this is true (and Iain has an annoying ability to be correct about everything!).

Ah, oh. Oh dear. Why, why on earth hand money over. I get the presentation, it's a bit weird, but fine. As soon as money starts trading hands, it just looks terrible.

I'm not sure / convinced on the money side, but my understanding is that's what people are saying. I would think it would be a bit wierd if they did that.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    DeadCalm wrote:
    What on earth benefit would Sky get from making a donation to ASO? I've given up following @UCI_Overlord. Bunkum is too kind for much of what he spouts.
    Could well be 'bunkum'. However I am still trying to figure out why a team or rider would need to meet with the UCI in such a way in the first place. After all, the last time such a meeting was reported it was with non other than Armstrong, who apparently met with McQuaid to tell him what needed to do to in order to ensure that his comeback went smoothy. It seems that this included McQuaid persuading the ASO to sack the strongly anti-doping Patrice Clerc.
    "It's something I shouldn't comment on," McQuaid told ESPN.com Wednesday. "It's an internal Amaury decision. All I would say [to Clerc] is 'goodbye,' and you can read between the lines if you like."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/c ... id=3621096
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Jez mon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

What? Is there a precedent for this type of thing?

Ah. Oh.

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Could well be 'bunkum'. However I am still trying to figure out why a team or rider would need to meet with the UCI in such a way in the first place. After all, the last time such a meeting was reported it was with non other than Armstrong, who apparently met with McQuaid to tell him what needed to do to in order to ensure that his comeback went smoothy. It seems that this included McQuaid persuading the ASO to sack the strongly anti-doping Patrice Clerc.
    "It's something I shouldn't comment on," McQuaid told ESPN.com Wednesday. "It's an internal Amaury decision. All I would say [to Clerc] is 'goodbye,' and you can read between the lines if you like."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/cycling/c ... id=3621096

I sometimes forget what a tw@t fat pat is.

Strava is not Zen.
  • BikingBernie
    iainf72 wrote:
    If they did, there is nothing suspicious about the UCI accepting money from a team /rider. After all it is hardly the first time they have done so. Oh hang on... :lol:
  • BikingBernie
    Jez mon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

You cynic! :lol::lol::lol:
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:

Seriously? If that's the case UK Postal may come down about the same time as US Postal.

This is not filling me with happy vibes.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    IF that's true, then they MUST explain that....

(god I'm going all dennis)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • timoid.
    ddraver wrote:
    IF that's true, then they MUST explain that....

(god I'm going all dennis)

Why do YOU think that? :wink:
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    However I am still trying to figure out why a team or rider would need to meet with the UCI in such a way in the first place.

It was ASO they met, not the UCI wasn't it? :?

(Unless they've been meeting the UCI too?)
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • BikingBernie
    To be honest. I can't imagine that even the UCI would be so stupid. After all, when it all came out about Armstrong's pay-offs, sorry 'donations', Fat Pat said:
    "To the best of my knowledge, the UCI has not accepted other donations and I'd just like to clarify that there was only one donation from Lance Armstrong not two or three,"
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/ma ... on-mistake

Then again, he was not telling the truth about the number of 'donations' that Armstrong had given them!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    iainf72 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

I'm not sure / convinced on the money side, but my understanding is that's what people are saying. I would think it would be a bit wierd if they did that.

UCI_Overlord is the source of the rumour.
    Not Pat McQuaid ‏@UCI_Overlord

@festinagirl @Velocentric actually a certain machine that measures certain values was donated to the ASO.True story. Ask Brailsford.

Not a donation to UCI but to ASO. Not sure what they'd do with such a machine though - they don't do their own testing do they?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • timoid.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

UCI_Overlord is the source of the rumour.

@festinagirl @Velocentric actually a certain machine that measures certain values was donated to the ASO.True story. Ask Brailsford.

Not a donation to UCI but to ASO. Not sure what they'd do with such a machine though - they don't do their own testing do they?

Hope it was cheaper than the centrifuge donated by Armstrong after his positive in Switzerland in 01
  • BikingBernie
    LangerDan wrote:
    However I am still trying to figure out why a team or rider would need to meet with the UCI in such a way in the first place.
    It was ASO they met, not the UCI wasn't it? :?

(Unless they've been meeting the UCI too?)
    Ah yes, my confusion, I had just read iainf72's post about them donating to the UCI and mixed up the two. I had also just mentioned this on 'the other thread'. It's hard to keep up with all that is going on. I had better go for a brew! :lol:
  • DeadCalm
    iainf72 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Hi Iain

Do you have any source other than @UCI_Overlord for this? As far as I can see on Twitter he is the only source and he seems to be avoiding questions being put directly to him on the subject.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Could be a joke that's gone too far....He is a Cyclismas misfit after all..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver wrote:
    Could be a joke that's gone too far....He is a Cyclismas misfit after all..?

Personally I won't be placing any trust in the rumour until I see a source.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,383
    So someone who spends his spare time pretending to be Pat McQuaid has said this on Twitter. Must be true then!
  • iainf72
    DeadCalm wrote:

Do you have any source other than @UCI_Overlord for this? As far as I can see on Twitter he is the only source and he seems to be avoiding questions being put directly to him on the subject.

Nope. That's why I said I wasn't convinced.

We need to ask RBMoore but he's probably too busy laughing at Lance.
  • timoid.
    afx237vi wrote:

Is that our very own Gabriel1969?
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    afx237vi wrote:

file.php?avatar=300025.jpg
    <Cartman voice>
    "Yes, that's right, my PowerPoint slide is on the Internet. Now who wants to touch me? [pause] I said, who wants to f___in' touch me?"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • DeadCalm
    In reply to a question on twitter from someone calling himself Dr Headgear he had the following to say:

@DrHeadgear @Velocentric @birdman_73 @festinagirl @richardmoore73 I am simply a satirical parody that is a serial pot stirrer. Nothing more.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Some people have suggested in the past that measuring blood values isn't necessarily the best way to monitor doping and that things like power output readings are also important. So, pure speculation here, but I wonder if Sky took along data from training and races as well as giving information about the training they are doing. If you are doing something extremely sophisticated and it is working you can demonstrate that fact with the numbers.

Personally I view this as a great way of operating. In the business I work in my aim is to always be proactive rather than reactive. It just seems to me that Sky have taken that view. Rather than sit back and let people raise questions they go and meet the most important race organisers to show why they are getting the results. If there was something dodgy going on I really doubt they would be doing this - essentially they've said to the ASO "We have nothing to hide and this is why we are successful". I think they should be applauded for behaving like a modern business.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

We need to ask RBMoore but he's probably too busy laughing at Lance.

http://twitter.com/richardmoore73/statu ... 1274122243
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Given the amount of stuff that's copy pasted from Bernie it looks likely.