How happy are you with your bike(s)

124»

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    nicklouse wrote:
    they sold you what you asked for.

I asked for a full suspension bike mostly for road use.
    They sold me a full suspension for cross-country which is useless for road use.
    They don't make full suspension road bikes. A cross country bike is as close as you'll get. Put some slicks on it and pump some more air in the suspension and stop complaining.

Or sell it and go buy one of these:
    http://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/models ... Pylon.html
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I asked for a full suspension bike mostly for road use.
    They sold me a full suspension for cross-country which is useless for road use.

They sold you a full suspension bike which is about as good for road use as full suspension bikes get. Full suspension is not designed for, or very good for, road use.

So, you asked for something that no matter what, would never give a very good result. Maybe they could have taken on your misunderstanding, but you really can't complain about being sold what you asked for.

Basically- you wanted a 4x4 to do the school run, and you got a 4x4. Don't complain that it isn't a sports car.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    ali4390 wrote:
    That's good to know. Any forks in particular that you would recommend?

Well... First of all, have your Suntours died yet? They're not very durable- they work OK when new but they need a lot of TLC to keep them working well. If they're still in good nick, then they're not too bad at all.

I replaced mine with a cheap, used Rockshox Revelation (an older model, but a Reba or Recon these days would do the same job). Though, these days it has a pair of carbon fibre rigid forks in, which are lightweight and hilarious, but probably not for everyone.

Don't get me wrong- it's all pretty basic stuff. The bottom brackets don't last, and the wheels are heavy (though fairly durable). A more expensive bike would do most things better, but it's still a decent frame with good angles, and ther est of the kit bolted to it does the job it should do.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Everyone who replies to my message all seem to miss the fact that I said that I've already had 2 full suspension bikes that did everything I wanted. The Cube is the 3rd suspension bike I've had and is useless.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Everyone who replies to my message all seem to miss the fact that I said that I've already had 2 full suspension bikes that did everything I wanted. The Cube is the 3rd suspension bike I've had and is useless.
    No, you had two bikes that had pretend suspension. Now you have one with suspension that works. Except, you don't need suspension.
    You got exactly what you asked for. Precisely, in fact.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    What is it with new users appearing and slagging Cube bikes recently?

Anyway, I just got around to fitting my new Zee mech and am pleasantly surprised already. It's lighter than the medium-cage XT it replaces, and 'feels' slightly more well-made. Going out for a ride soon to test it. Unfortunately while fitting I discovered my BB is completely screwed. So far I've had an SLX that's still going strong after 18 months, but this Deore is dead after 2 months.
  • Northwind
    Your Barracudas were most likely URT suspension. The defining characteristic of URT suspension is that it doesn't work, at all. So, turned out to be ideal for you, since you didn't really want rear suspension. And that all added up to a mountian bike that didn't work at all, which was also ideal for you because you don't really want a mountain bike.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    warpcow wrote:

Anyway, I just got around to fitting my new Zee mech and am pleasantly surprised already. It's lighter than the medium-cage XT it replaces, and 'feels' slightly more well-made. Going out for a ride soon to test it. Unfortunately while fitting I discovered my BB is completely screwed. So far I've had an SLX that's still going strong after 18 months, but this Deore is dead after 2 months.
    I know, I particuarly like...
    [the Cube] slows down too quick when I stop pedalling and wants to stop all the time. Going down a steep hill the bike gets to a max speed of about 32mph
    even though...
    Both [Barracuda] bikes where light, fast, easy to pedal and easy to ride on all terrain. And I have been over 35mph on a flat road on these bikes. My average speed is usually about 15mph on any mountain bike
    So he could pedal his Barracudas up to 35mph, but he can't even manage that down a hill on his Cube?

There's more than a wiff of bullsh*t going on here :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited August 2012
    warpcow wrote:
    Canyon's (or someone's) marketing dept?
    Although waiting five years to whinge (and still got such an awful bike) - maybe they just let him out after long term treatment.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I blame the speedo, I reckon it came from Wiggle.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    I quite like my spesh comp. I know most on here are spesh haters and that's fine, they are overpriced for the loadout I think. It rides alright (not that I've had a chance for a while due to tendons) but I do now wish I'd held out and got an air fork (I prefer the feel of them to coils). In fact, I wish I'd waited until Canyon appeared and grabbed a Nerve as they look nicely specced for the price.
    Whinging aside, I enjoy(ed) thrashing my pitch, it flows alright I just wish it had air forks up front and lockout on the shock. The frame is rock solid and since I'm a lard ass it's for the best. :)
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Maybe he's still growing. :twisted:
    Yup. I was 5ft 8" when I had it 9 months ago. I'm now 6ft. New frame time soon!
  • Love my Reed, it's brilliant. Does absolutely everything I want it to and does it perfectly.
    Handled GT and the DH at Inners without a single issue, and will be doing a 45mile XC enduro this weekend without changing anything.

Would I recommend one to a friend though? Probably not.

It's an odd thing. It's a very marmite bike. One of those that you would certainly want to give a GOOD test of before buying.