How happy are you with your bike(s)

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited September 2012 in MTB general
I guess this q could've been a poll but maybe there are too many answers

How happy/content are you with your bike(s) do you have a list of upgrades that would empty Chain Reaction's shelves or have you already done that and built your dream bike? Or is your bike a total POS that you can't wait to offload onto some unsuspecting punter :)

I would like some new wheels and forks for the Voltage but my other bikes (I think) are pretty sorted. The Cannondale especially is my go-to bike I use it a lot and now I only really replace like-with-like when stuff wears out or breaks. Some spangly wheels or cranks would be nice but I think it would make everything else look ropey and I'd have to start all over again *groan*

So how about you what are your upgrade plans

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep, like the MTB. Things will change progressively, but I'm not seeking to compulsively upgrade.

The road bike could do with replacing, but there's nothing wrong with it!
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Anthem - Very happy indeed. New shorter stem (80 instead of 110) and wider bars (now cut to 720 from 750 which replaced the original 680s. I'd love to have XT or maybe just SLX instead of the current Deore but as I don't have the money to upgrade and it isn't broke then it will have to wait. I'm not yet sure about the grips - trying without my old Ergon grips which is better downhill, but may cause hand pains to return on long rides... we shall see. I think the next upgrade ought to be better and more adjustable brakes as the M486s are not the best I've used. Would like a dropper post, but can't afford it at the moment. Would like lighter wheels but also can justify the expense as the ones I have are still round.
    Avalanche - Very happy indeed as it was very cheap and has been great fun all winter. Yes, I'd like it to be lighter than my Anthem, but that'll cost a bit I think. Might weigh some bits and see if I can make it lighter with some tweaks, but it was supposed to be cheap and cheerful, so I can't spend much given the gears/brakes are similar to the Anthem.
    Rider - Pretty happy with progress... and strava says I am getting faster uphill. Next major upgrade is a skills course for me.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Erm, I mean, there's a few small things I'd change.

I wouldn't mind an angleset, maybe a dropper post, some 4 pot calipers... none are exactly real important though, better riding skills would be more handy.
  • craigw99
    craigw99 Posts: 224
    on top of shiney green stuff ive already got - just bought off ebay some carbon bars, looking to get new wheels later on in the year changed my tyres looking to change stem, seatpost & grips in due course then by that time i'll prob want something else. I love my bike but i like to change things to make it mine
    opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
    2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
    1992 cannondale m1000 still going just
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Very happy with my enduro, yeah there's a few things I'd like to add but it great to ride.
    Happy with my 29er but I have a lot to re-learn about riding hardtails and there's a few things I'd like to change, starting with the brakes.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Very happy with both the Bandit and the Inbred. Different bikes for different rides (and moods etc.) and not to everyone's taste in terms of spec, particularly the Inbred which is bargain basement/garage leftover spec, but both ride as I want them to and provide no limitations to my riding.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Most stuff bought second hand, maintained and repaired by myself, painted by myself... I'm very satisfied with what i have for the budget I put in!
  • mintedox
    mintedox Posts: 273
    I'm happy. The bike bug got me at the wrong time financially so had to use cheaper bikes untill I could afford something decent. I probably appreciate my bike a bit more now because of that.
    Upgrades I'm not bothered about untill something goes and needs replacing, like for like will do unless there's a bargain to be had.
    I plan to get something with more travel both ends in the future but for now I'm happy with what I've got.
    Papa? Nicole
  • jeannot18
    jeannot18 Posts: 720
    Very happy with my RR 8.1. The bike has met my expectations and some more. So far I have replaced the stem (shorter one), wider bars, pedals and tyres. I would not mind getting a dropper seat (which I could keep for a future bike).
    Until my skills are better I won't be thinking buying a new bike, I would love to try a full suspension to see what it is all about. Right now it would be pretty hard to explain to my wife why I need a new bike...
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
    Specialized Elite Allez with 105
    Rockrider 8.1 : )
  • Very happy. I can tell, as I'm not looking at upgrades anymore.
    I've now turned into a bike tart...I'm only looking at stuff that matches the colour of the frame.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Generally happy with the bikes overall. There are a few smaller, mostly cockpit changes I'd like to make, but could live without.

The Evil: 10mm shorter stem (50mm), short-cage (new Zee) rear mech., ti SDG Bel-air and a Gravity Dropper. Maybe a new fork, a Magura Thor (or TS-whatever-it's-called-now), in the long-run.
    The Heckler: Inline post, 10mm shorter stem (60mm) and maybe slightly wider bars as 'upgrades'. Starting to feel like it needs new bearings too.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm very happy with mine. ("rough" in sig)

It's not exactly a budget build, but it's been put in it's current state by gradual changes and some scavenging from the previous bike.

I wouldn't mind some new wheels, but the current ones (only cost £35 due to a 'bundle' when I bough the frame and forks) are true, the right colours and aren't particularly heavy. If I was ordered to spend £500 on the bike I could go for a new wheelset and an Easton Haven cockpit. None of that is needed, or a problem when I'm riding though.

The only thing I want to change is how much I ride it!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • pholt89
    pholt89 Posts: 56
    Happy over all with mine.
    I love the frame on my marin quake and at the moment is only let down buy the sh!t marzocchi AM4s but as I have a set of 66's on the way that should be a big improvement. Also took a bit of fiddling with spacers and a new set of slightly wider lower rise bars to get the cockpit set up how I wanted it. New brakes and gears would be nice but no way essential.
    My Dmr trailstar 2 I'm so happy with considering I just bought the frame and tranfered all the parts from my old jump bike and built it myself. Again if I had endless money then would change the whole groupset and brakes but they all do their job just nothing fancy about them.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Reign is finished, just fitted a coil shock and that was the last part of building it into a mini DH, Freeride bike, may swap the stem to a 50mm and lose the reverb but apart from that, its sorted.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Heckler - its got deore everything, basic RF finishing kit, an OK fork and a OK set of wheels. Everythign could be lighter, better, etc but it works for me. I'd like to upgrade to a slightly longer travel trail bike but cant afford to and would not push a replacement any more than I do the heckler so its great for me.

Handjob - I love my old hardtail, the biggest problem with it is its probably rusting away in my mates shed 2000 miles to the east of my current location. I'd love it to be in BC with me but cant get it here. :(
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I'm very happy with what I have and the price I've paid. I enjoy riding it no matter what the spec, but i'd still love a few more upgrades. Stans crest wheels (and tubeless conversion) and some shiny XT brakes :)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Every time I ride my Wolf Ridge off road, I like it more and more. It tackles everything so well.
    The only minor niggle is that I want to switch to Shimano gearing, and I want an XT M785 brake on the back, in addition to the one I already have on the front.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Yeah, it does the job.

Want to buy it?
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    specialized camber 2011 v happy and have given it a few upgrades
    syncross carbon bars
    hope bar plugs
    dmr v12
    mountain king 2.4 tyres
    schwalbe city jets( at the mo using it to go to work on)
    hope seat clamp
    hope qr skewers
    wsc ritchy grips
    cat eye strada computer
    thats it for the mo as only had it a year so dont want to spend to much on it but happy with it the way it is for now
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    cotic soul is fairly new but very happy with it. always adding bits though

09 cube ltd pro in need of a rebuild due to being stripped down for the cotic

would like to buy a full susser aswell. just coz i want to
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    the HD is close to perfect, slightly slacker and maybe half an inch longer so I can run the saddle in the middle of rails rather than right back on them to get the right reach but other than that its a damn sweet riding bike. Wouldn't mind a shadow plus mech, slightly burlier but still light wheels and a full Bos suss setup, but thats a bit of a dream!

The hardtail is due for a big makeover in the next few weeks, so watch this space ;)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Canyon Nerve = would like a new seatpost but only because the current one has gone silver where the anodising has worn off. Would like some of the new XT brakes but unless I see them at silly money wont bother.

On One Scandal = Would like a new lightweight wheelset, already got a shiny front hub and keeping an eye on ebay for rest of bits to build a 1500 gram wheelset.

Apart from that happy as a pig in shit with both my bikes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very happy with my home built Carrera Kraken (see sig, now has an HT2 crankset) although I'm always keeping an eye out for potential upgrades at the right price (recent changes to carbon bars and HT2 crankset were 'free' as I sold on what I replaced for the same as I paid for the replacement).

My Retro is coming along nicely, just fitted better wheels, now just need to update the shifters to take advantage of the 8 speed cassette the new wheels can take.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I'm amazed at how many people here claim to be happy with their bikes, then ream off a list of changes they want.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I'm amazed at how many people here claim to be happy with their bikes, then ream off a list of changes they want.

Depends on the persons definition of happy.

In my eyes you can be happy with what you got as it does the job you need it to do but theres a tweak or two to improve it further, happy doesn't have to mean its perfect.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    the chromag i'm happy with only thing i would/need to change is the grips they worn..

the santa cruz i'm happy with would not change any thing ooops only the worn brake pads.

the ns soda well it's specced better than i could of ever imagined am i happy with it i will have to report back on that as i'm still yet to ride it, it was built (well almost) then stripped and bagged ready for it's trip to whistler.. so some time next week i will know if i'm happy with it..

scott road bike (old shitter) if i could i would replace this it's old now and alot of the parts are in need of changing. but it still does its job.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Very.
    Just need some new pivot bearings.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I'm quite happy with the orange as it is. That said I have piled a fair bit of money into it although I'd kind of figured I'd be doing that when I first got it anyway, at the time I had the choice of stick to a budget and get the bike sooner, then upgrade as funds became availible or wait another year when I had a bit more money and go in for a higher spec straight off.

But even then I didn't know how possible this was going to be since I was planning on heading off to uni. So, figured I'd just buy it. When I ended up taking a year out and earning a fair bit of money , a bit of this has been spent upgrading the orange over these past 2 years.

The 456... well I wouldn't complain if it had a Lyrik up front but that isn't going to happen, I've not got any issue with the domains other than the weight penalty and with that bike it doesn't bother me really. So yeah, happy with it, I mean I built it so I made sure I would be :wink:

The next item on the agenda is a full suss, the only issue is again, cost... and for this reason the orange may have to make way for a new frame, maybe an anthem from fleabay, but this isn't something I'm in any massive hurry to do.
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Extremely happy with both my bikes, no major upgrades except the opportunity for a set of carbon wheels couldn't go a miss :D