How happy are you with your bike(s)

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Am fairly happy with my new bike.

A Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x

The rear shock dosent seem to use all its travel so its essentially a 150mm fork 130mm shock bike. Got to figure if this is a frame design flaw or a shock problem to get the 140mm it should have.

I think it might be to do with the frame design. I am a fat lump and on my previous FS bikes been used to the shock going clonk as it slams down. That never seems to happen very often (at most once or twice a ride if I am being silly) on my Nerve XC unless I have stupidly low pressure in the shock. I thought at first it was a fault a stiff link bearing or duff shock but if I let all air out of the shock and move the swinging arm it cycles smoothly between full compression and extension. I dont pretend to understand or even care very much but I believe designers can play with the design to get whats called a rising rate that is the last few mill of travel get harder for the back wheel to move. Someone like Supersonic would probably be able to explain it.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bartiebat
    bartiebat Posts: 97
    Ecstatic!! 2012 Giant Trance X1. Wasn't happy with the wait time but 3 QOMs on the MBR Sunday on its 1st proper ride & I couldn't want anything more! :D
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Im happy with my remedy but i would like some new parts for her, new chainset (XT) would be nice and im hoping to put some new brakes on her soon.

If money was no problem i'd get some hope hubs for the bling factor but its not that important at all just yet and the stock wheels work perfectly for now.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    The rear shock dosent seem to use all its travel so its essentially a 150mm fork 130mm shock bike. Got to figure if this is a frame design flaw or a shock problem to get the 140mm it should have.
    it does have 140mm, the fact that you don't seem to use all the travel must be down to you, either ride harder or let some air out :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    chez_m356 wrote:
    it does have 140mm, the fact that you don't seem to use all the travel must be down to you, either ride harder or let some air out :D
    And the 140mm doesn't refer to the shock, it refers to the rear wheel movement.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    pretty happy TBH

I've spent quite a long time getting the bike sorted, but inevitably I've found some elements that I feel could be better. The one in particular is the damping in the forks. I think the Sektors are quality forks for light trail use, but once you start to hammer them a bit, they start to struggle, so am replacing both the compression and rebound dampers next month (effectively making them Solo Air Rev RCT3). At the same time I'm changing the pedals (DMR Vaults or SS Nanos) and my chainring (Renthal SR4).

I've spent most of my weeks holiday debating the merits of replacing my Formula K18s with some new Shimano XT brakes, but upon reflection I've never felt under-braked, so would be doing so just for the sake of it, and so I'm not planning on going ahead with that.

Long term I'm thinking that I may upgrade to a Pitch frame, perhaps running the Sektors (at 150mm) with a Monarch Plus RC3 rear shock, and maybe with some Lyriks and a Vivid coil shock for mini DH riding.

However, inevitably this will change in time....

Reality is that I like the tinkering with and planning of a bike as much as I like the riding of it....
  • I bought a Raleigh Airlite100 probably about 2 months ago after using a proper jaopy old mountain bike. It took a while to adjust, mostly adapting to race tubes 'n' tyres with very high pressures and presta valves but also the down-tube shifters which I hadn't noticed on the ad (yup, bought online) but it seems alright.

The shifters don't bother me half as much as I thought they would have. Could use more gears though, I always run-out downhill.
  • chez_m356
    bails87 wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    And the 140mm doesn't refer to the shock, it refers to the rear wheel movement.
    hence the use of the word "Travel" :wink:
  • chez_m356
    I bought a Raleigh Airlite100 probably about 2 months ago after using a proper jaopy old mountain bike. It took a while to adjust, mostly adapting to race tubes 'n' tyres with very high pressures and presta valves but also the down-tube shifters which I hadn't noticed on the ad (yup, bought online) but it seems alright.

The shifters don't bother me half as much as I thought they would have. Could use more gears though, I always run-out downhill.
    :?:
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    I bought a Raleigh Airlite100 probably about 2 months ago after using a proper jaopy old mountain bike. It took a while to adjust, mostly adapting to race tubes 'n' tyres with very high pressures and presta valves but also the down-tube shifters which I hadn't noticed on the ad (yup, bought online) but it seems alright.

Spin up
    50 x 13 =36mph at 120rpm
    140rpm = 44mph
  • smack148
    smack148 Posts: 37
    happy when I'm on it....but if anyone has some free Hope kit they don't want
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    Really happy with my DH bike - 2012 Session 8. Just changed a few parts and now it's feeling perfect.

My enduro is too long and too much travel for what I use it for, want to sell the frame and get a BFE - then lower the 36s to 140mm.

My street / jump bike is immense but I kind of wish i'd bought the 26' version
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Just put an Easton Haven and an upside down 80mm SS Zenith AM stem on the 'hopper

...now I'm even happier with it!

DSC_0948.JPG
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Thats a very blinged steed. Nice.

Strange handlebar set-up, it that a SRAM matchmaker clamp holding Shimano shifters. Why are your brakes not mounted in the Matchmaker?

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    That's the Reverb remote. Shimano brakes. So they don't play nice together
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    warpcow wrote:
    Generally happy with the bikes overall. There are a few smaller, mostly cockpit changes I'd like to make, but could live without.

The Evil: 10mm shorter stem (50mm), short-cage (new Zee) rear mech., ti SDG Bel-air and a Gravity Dropper. Maybe a new fork, a Magura Thor (or TS-whatever-it's-called-now), in the long-run.
    The Heckler: Inline post, 10mm shorter stem (60mm) and maybe slightly wider bars as 'upgrades'. Starting to feel like it needs new bearings too.

Only thing that might be left to do is a new fork for the Evil, but since I serviced it last week the Pike is feeling good again. The Heckler feels completely transformed, for the better, despite the cockpit changes only seeming small.

So... on to the hunt for the Holy Grail of all-round tyres now :lol:
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Maxxis Minion DHF

Ok they aren't that fast, but they rock
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    I'm pretty happy with my Spicy at the moment but it's undergoing some more tweaks. Some Burgtec offset shock bushings, a Fox shock Air Spring Volume Tuning Kit and a longer seatpost because mine is getting too short are all on order. I think the only original parts on it are the rear shock (which is being tweaked), the fork, the frame and the stem.

The hardtail is feeling alright but the frame is now too small and the fork needs looking at.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    how is your seatpost "getting" too short?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Maybe he's still growing. :twisted:
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    how is your seatpost "getting" too short?
    Pesky mice....
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    I love the Tomac, but I've had a few niggles with some of the kit I've chosen for it. Not mad keen on the EN251s and switch hubs - I had superlegerra with xc430s on the last bike and the engagement speed is noticeably slower and the rims are bloody heavy. It rides brilliantly though and I love the XT kit on there. Since I built it I've stuck a reverb and an MRP x2 on there, both of which are ace. My only real gripe with the frame is the mud clearance and bearing seals, but it's American and from a small manufacturer so to be expected I guess. The only things really wrong with it as a package are down to poor choices of my own making and since it's the first bike I've ever built I'm fairly ok with that.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • ali4390
    ali4390 Posts: 106
    I'm not particularly happy with mine in all honesty but in the process of upgrading it so this will change.

Problem was I bought the bike (Kraken) from Halfords last year as something to ride here, there and everywhere but with no plans to take it to any trails. Now I am getting more and more into trails etc I am upgrading it accordingly until I can afford a Canyon!! I appreciate it is never going to be an amazing bike, but it's teaching me a lot about the principles of riding quickly, which will stand me in good stead for when I am ready to move up a level.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    FWIW, a Kraken with a better fork in works pretty well. Especially now that they don't come with the incredible Tioga Factory Extreme XCs they used to, which weighed as much as a 2.5 downhill dualply, yet mysteriously had all the grip of a 23mm cyclocross tyre. I still use my old kraken on and off as an xc/race bike- though admittedly not much is original ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Nick Cod
    Nick Cod Posts: 321
    I've had a bit of time off the Mtbs this year as I've been partaking in some road events. I know I am ashamed of myself!!

Epic - last ridden on my local trails at the end of March. Serviced the forks prior to this outing and all in all still ticks all the boxes for me in a full sus XC bike. No upgrades planned

Wanger - Takes me back to my youth when I ride this as my first half decent bike was steal and it's good to have a Voodoo again as my first Voodoo was stolen some years back. No real upgrades planned but I think the rear mech may want replacing soon, possible upgrade to a redwing if I can find one

Avalanche - My younger brother always slates me for riding this bike, but I love it!! Yes it's a bit old but it's faultless on the trails. I'll only change parts on this when they die
    2016 Cube Agree C:62 SLT DISC
    2013 Cayo Evo 3
    2013 Zesty 414
    2002 Avalanche 0.0
    2018 Vitus Substance v2 105 Gravel
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Spicy 516 (2011)

About 90% happy, it's a brillaint ride, let down by a few tiny niggles.

Deore shifters, work fine, but the pointless gear windows made it impossible to get them / the brakes where I wanted them - bought SLX jobs for little money.

Fox 36s Had a few sets, and they're the benchmark for 160mm for a reason, but the openbath ones don't really have the right compression damping for me and they can't be tuned (or Mojo tell me) you can have a FIT damper added for about £300 (inc a service) but it's cheaper to sell them and put the money towards a set of FIT equiped forks, especially as they'll be Kashima coated too. Went on a Mojo set-up session at Cwmcarn had all of my concerns confirmed by them.

Fulcrum Redzone wheels. Considering they're missing a load of spokes compared to most wheels and how light they are they're stupidly strong in terms of staying true. But they're tubeless which I don't like (lack of tyre choice, they lose air ALL the time) don't take a standard tyre/tube combo very well and they're not that reliable. Had a front bearing seize for no reason, showed zero lateral wear, span perfectly, then suddenly seized fast. The rear hub esembly comes loose on occation, sometimes it knocks on the axle, sometimes the freebody comes loose. They also want £75 for a full set of bearings and the freebody takes non-standard sizes.

Oh and it's white so it's a bitch to keep clean and has loads of tiny little areas to try to get into to clean.
  • No, I hate my bike :evil: !

My local bike shop had a Cube day in June 2007. Mr. White from Cube was there. I told the shop owner and Mr. White that I want a full suspension bike and I rode mostly on road, the odd track and the odd public footpath/bridleway.

They both said the Cube XMS 100 was the perfect bike for me. I have never ridden a bike with air suspension before. I have had 2 full suspensions bikes which were both Barracudas . Both bikes where light, fast, easy to pedal and easy to ride on all terrain. And I have been over 35mph on a flat road on these bikes. My average speed is usually about 15mph on any mountain bike I ride rigid, hardtail and full suspension.

From the first day I got the Cube XMS 100 the bike was hard to pedal, it slows down too quick when I stop pedalling and wants to stop all the time. Going down a steep hill the bike gets to a max speed of about 32mph but is usually 28-29.something mph or less. I keep pedalling, still a lot of hill to go down and the bike will not go any faster and it's really heavy. This is on every terrain I ride on. On this bike I strain to get 12-15mph at max speed.

I kept telling the shop owner about this and all he could say to me was: 'You're not used to riding that sort of bike.

It took nearly 5 years and asking a lot of shops to find out I was mis-sold the bike. The shop owner and Mr.White wouldn't outright admit it, but they did eventually admit it with the words 'It's a cross-country bike'. Other shops eventually started telling me the Cube XMS 100 is useless for road riding.

So now I am trying to find a good full suspension bike for road use but I will never buy Cube again. I have a hardtail but when riding on the roads where I live I always wish I had back suspension because of all the cracks and holes in the roads.
  • ali4390
    ali4390 Posts: 106
    Northwind wrote:
    FWIW, a Kraken with a better fork in works pretty well. Especially now that they don't come with the incredible Tioga Factory Extreme XCs they used to, which weighed as much as a 2.5 downhill dualply, yet mysteriously had all the grip of a 23mm cyclocross tyre. I still use my old kraken on and off as an xc/race bike- though admittedly not much is original ;)
    That's good to know. Any forks in particular that you would recommend?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    No, I hate my bike :evil: !

My local bike shop had a Cube day in June 2007. Mr. White from Cube was there. I told the shop owner and Mr. White that I want a full suspension bike and I rode mostly on road, the odd track and the odd public footpath/bridleway.

They both said the Cube XMS 100 was the perfect bike for me. I have never ridden a bike with air suspension before. I have had 2 full suspensions bikes which were both Barracudas . Both bikes where light, fast, easy to pedal and easy to ride on all terrain. And I have been over 35mph on a flat road on these bikes. My average speed is usually about 15mph on any mountain bike I ride rigid, hardtail and full suspension.

From the first day I got the Cube XMS 100 the bike was hard to pedal, it slows down too quick when I stop pedalling and wants to stop all the time. Going down a steep hill the bike gets to a max speed of about 32mph but is usually 28-29.something mph or less. I keep pedalling, still a lot of hill to go down and the bike will not go any faster and it's really heavy. This is on every terrain I ride on. On this bike I strain to get 12-15mph at max speed.

I kept telling the shop owner about this and all he could say to me was: 'You're not used to riding that sort of bike.

It took nearly 5 years and asking a lot of shops to find out I was mis-sold the bike. The shop owner and Mr.White wouldn't outright admit it, but they did eventually admit it with the words 'It's a cross-country bike'. Other shops eventually started telling me the Cube XMS 100 is useless for road riding.

So now I am trying to find a good full suspension bike for road use but I will never buy Cube again. I have a hardtail but when riding on the roads where I live I always wish I had back suspension because of all the cracks and holes in the roads.
    they sold you what you asked for.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    they sold you what you asked for.

I asked for a full suspension bike mostly for road use.
    They sold me a full suspension for cross-country which is useless for road use.