How happy are you with your bike(s)

Comments

• .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I'm amazed at how many people here claim to be happy with their bikes, then ream off a list of changes they want.
    +1 I was thinking the same thing
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I think a better question would be "Is there anyone unhappy with their bike(s)?"
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    edited June 2012
    I'm happy with my bikes :D

Both the Orange and the Santa Cruz are custom builds (done on the cheap by me!) although I have just put some new carbon bars and a new stem on the Orange. When I got to those bits of the original build I had pretty much run out of money, so was running some battered second hand bars for years - don't think they owe me anything now! The Santa Cruz has only just been finished and i'm equally happy with that.

The Minxy is the only bike i've bought new and ready-to-go, and as a result i'm a bit obsessed with tweaking bits of it :oops: I have already replaced the Marzocchi forks with nice Fox Float 36's (just couldn't get the Marzocchi's to move!), the brakes with Formula K24 Oro's, replaced the bars with some girlie purple ones, and swapped the deore shifters for xt (so they'll fit on the bars the other way around with my brakes). I am eyeing up some Flow / Hope wheels to replace the heavy Alex DM24 / deore wheels - I can't really justify the cash but if some second hand ones appear at a bargain price I would be very tempted 8)

Anyway, I think it's probably fair to say that I am bit too obsessed with my bikes. I thought my dress and shoe habit was bad, but that pales into insignificance compared to this.... :oops: :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Rockhopper;
    http://thehairyrider.com/bikes/#SpecializedRockhopperDisc
    has completed it's transformation to AM bike. And I am extremely happy with it. It still climbs amazingly well even with the longer fork and shorter stem and it can handle itself on red Alpine DH trails. It will be getting a brake upgrade to XT although this is more to free up the Deore's (which have and still do perform without fault) for the Snap build (see below) - and I can get a set delivered to my door for £125 so it'd be rude not to :wink: ...oh, it could do with a 180mm rear disc rotor

Session;
    http://thehairyrider.com/bikes/#TrekSession8
    Haven't properly tested it out yet. That starts this Saturday :D But from the few easy rides I've done. I think it's great and can't see myself changing anything except worn/broken parts. It's a DH bike and that's all it will be used for so no changes required

Snap;
    http://thehairyrider.com/2012/06/13/first-custom-build-part-1/
    Haven't finished building it yet but very happy with the frame :? using as many of the bits I have lying around as possible. So I already know what I'm going to want to change at some point in the future;
    Fork to Argyle (or similar), Tyres to Kenda Small block 8 (or similar), Wheels to something a bit more burly although those Sun DS2-XC's are tough old beasts
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rebel_brown
    rebel_brown Posts: 126
    The only things I'd keep on my bike are my seat, grips, stem and rear shock. Got to wait until next January before I can buy a new bike though... :(
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I'm never fully happy with my bikes - if I get happy and think it doesn't need anything, I get complacent and lazy out riding. I love the upgrading/fettling as much as I love riding.. a new part/clothing each month and it makes me want to ride hard to test that new 'upgrade'.

My 08 Mt Vision is pretty much brand new, got it for a great price on ebay (the guy bought it, rode it about 40 miles then stored it in his garage for 4 years... previous bike of the year for a great price). However, I'm still not happy with it. It needs carbon bars. The bike tart in me demands FULL XT as well.. this means wheels and brakes (currently pro2's and Juicy carbons.. anybody want to do a deal? ;)).

I'm on an everlasting pursuit for bike perfection, but on a sensible budget. Keeps me on my toes, man.. keeps me alive. :P

This is how it currently looks, for anyone interested:
    8FuZi.jpg
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    Fairly happy with the hoodoo. Only change would be for something slacker like a bluepig but after riding my friend's proflex 768 enduro... plan is to save for a proper bouncer.
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    Hmmm, happy with the way it rides? Oh yeah, the Soul is spot on 8) I'm having a slight niggle of a problem with the saddle slipping back along the rails in the seatpost clamp which needs sorting, but if i need to replace the post it will be the same position/layback.

The Heckler (frame, forks and new whees) is in boxes in the loft currently, so not too happy about that :cry: When funds allow it will be resurected to its former glory as when it was all up together it was a brilliant bike. Stay tuned!
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    lawman wrote:
    the HD is close to perfect, slightly slacker and maybe half an inch longer so I can run the saddle in the middle of rails rather than right back on them to get the right reach but other than that its a damn sweet riding bike. Wouldn't mind a shadow plus mech, slightly burlier but still light wheels and a full Bos suss setup, but thats a bit of a dream!

The hardtail is due for a big makeover in the next few weeks, so watch this space ;)

Aprt fromt he entire frame geo and tube length :wink:
  • Thewaylander
    And yeh loving my Draker,

Just fitting 10 speed, and got some 760 bars on it, so only thing left is a dropper post and its pretty much perfect for me. Burly and tough great for DH's while still being comfortable to pedal :)
  • SPARTdAN
    SPARTdAN Posts: 26
    Got a Talon 29er hardtail, it's a nice bike, upgraded some stuff, brakes, stem, tyres, saddle...I get unhappy with it at times though because I am set on owning an Anthem 29er, that's a lot of saving though. Not sure if best to upgrade bits on mine like better forks and drive train or just wait and buy a new bike next year.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    lawman wrote:
    the HD is close to perfect, slightly slacker and maybe half an inch longer so I can run the saddle in the middle of rails rather than right back on them to get the right reach but other than that its a damn sweet riding bike. Wouldn't mind a shadow plus mech, slightly burlier but still light wheels and a full Bos suss setup, but thats a bit of a dream!

The hardtail is due for a big makeover in the next few weeks, so watch this space ;)

You forgot suspension, gears and wheels.

So his bike is perfect apart from the frame, the riding position, the geometry, the gears, the wheels and the suspension. :roll:
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    Just got some new pedals (superstar thru pins in Root Beer!) and some new tyres (Minions). There are some other bits which i'd like to sort as and when money allows being the bars, maybe a dropper seat post and some shorter cranks! Apart from that, well happy :wink:

As for the commuter bike (old heavy Trek with slicks on), could lose it tomorrow for something better but would only come home one night to find it stolen or tampered with so no point!
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • mb london
    mb london Posts: 96
    I got into biking about a year ago had a really nice rockhopper comp 09’ but then decided to go mad and bought a 3K ex 9.
    Have never really got on with the bike had a couple of monumental stacks on it and in hindsight (what a wonderful thing) would have stuck with the specialized and gone to Vegas with the 3K
  • Thewaylander
    lawman wrote:

So his bike is perfect apart from the frame, the riding position, the geometry, the gears, the wheels and the suspension. :roll:

Glad someone else thought that too. It could obviously be the way i read it but it sounds just like the whole bike is hated, but it's awesome lol.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lawman wrote:

Glad someone else thought that too. It could obviously be the way i read it but it sounds just like the whole bike is hated, but it's awesome lol.

Its far from hated, I fucking love the thing! it rides brilliantly as it is, its by far and away the best Bike i've ever owned, but the fact is I'm always worried about the saddle rails snapping cos its so far back on the rails, its just one of those tiny little things that doesn't actually affect the ride but just annoys me. I'm curious to play with the geometry abit, its still a great bike going downhill and frankly given its travel is amazing going up too, but could it be even better if it was a touch slacker? I do love to try out new stuff, isn't that what its all about, having a laugh on the bike and not just enjoying it then, but when the spanners come out and you get to fettle it within an n'th degree of perfection.

All the above things are stuff I'd like to try out. I would go into the reasons why I'd like too, but bottom line is, my bikes awesome for me, like it or not, but the tart and tinkerer in me thinks it could be even better, and where the fark is the harm in that? if we were happy with everything we had the world would be a fucking better place wouldn't it, but us humans are greedy fuckers aren't we :P
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    You're full of crap :lol:
  • Happy now that I've changed most of the components :lol:

But tbh, I was planning on doing so, was cheaper to buy a full bike and sell bits to fund new bits than to buy a frame and start from zero!

I would like it to be slightly slacker though.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    You're full of crap :lol:

Thats interesting, cos your mum's gob is full with my cock...
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    My Trek 4500 is keeping me going until I get fully saved up. The Dart 2 Fork is awful, and I cannot sort out the dragging Juicy 3s. It gets me out though and handles most of the stuff I ask it to do; I usually fail before it does.
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    Completely happy with mine, it's cured my upgradeitus! There's nothing I want to change which makes me feel lost!
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    I'm happy with my P7. The geometry may not be as slack as today's bikes but it still works for me. There will always be different tyres, gear combinations and other odds and sods to try, but overall, yep I'm happy with it.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Oops, nevermind!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'm completely happy with my Hemlock... It was good so I made it better. I could easily spend £1000s on it for carbon wheels, new TALAS forks etc but it'd be diminishing returns and it's already pretty superb, so I won't.

Not totally happy with the C456... it's good- fast, light, stable, confidence inspiring- but the geometry's just not quite exactly what I want. Basically I want a Ragley Ti and chose this (and added an angleset) for cheapness. But it's very good and totally capable of doing everything I want it to do.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Update :

Session;
    http://thehairyrider.com/bikes/#TrekSession8
    Haven't properly tested it out yet. That starts this Saturday :D But from the few easy rides I've done. I think it's great and can't see myself changing anything except worn/broken parts. It's a DH bike and that's all it will be used for so no changes required

Well the lifts opened and the Trek Session got a proper test out this weekend; a couple of hours (three or four runs) on Saturday morning then a six hour (10 run) session yesterday. An amazing machine! Sounds obvious but so much fun riding DH trails on the right bike.

..the only thing that's gonna be changed is replacing the 38t ring with a 34t..other than that happy as Larry (whoever he was?)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Very happy with my recent upgrade from 2010 Carrera Vengeance Ltd Disc spec to a Specialized Pitch Comp. whilst the Spesh might not be the last word in FS bikes, it has a good enough spec for me (SRam X9, Juicy 3SL brakes etc) for some time to come. I don't notice the extra weight, and the comfort (even on canal towpaths, never mind FoD trails) is a huge leap for the better. My son's cheap 'hardtail' has little suspension travel form its cheap n nasty fork, so he will be getting his frst proper MTB tomorrow (Merida Matts Trial 500-D) which should make him even keener to get out with me.
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Happy with the Inbred and 456 although I would like to shove something lighter than the Tora uturn on the front of the 456.
    Planet X Superlight is lovely and the Sora stuff's working perfectly.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    edited August 2012
    I like mine, but there are definately some things that could be changed.
  • Am fairly happy with my new bike.

A Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x

It rides really well, the value for money was incredible and I love the way it looks in snot green. Just looking at her makes me wanna hurl it off stuff.

Now i’ve done a few hundred miles on it, theres a few things, I’ve come to realise or i’m not so happy with tho.

I now know I prefer RockShox suspension to Fox but that’s no big deal.

The Reverbs unnecessary, unless it gets stupidly steep, I’ve learnt I feel more comfortable leaning on the saddle when getting sideways so personally I get out of control more often when its fully slammed, a 50mm drop would be perfect for me. Also the Reverbs broken once and I think its loosing pressure again. Not best pleased about that,

Its a tiny bit long, so I’ve got a shorter stem on order but am worried that I might not get the weight over the front enough for grip now.
    Its a bit heavy at 32.0 especially at the back (shes got a fat ass) even with all the top end kit so theres not much I can do about that. Maybe I’m just used to a hardtail.
    The rear shock dosent seem to use all its travel so its essentially a 150mm fork 130mm shock bike. Got to figure if this is a frame design flaw or a shock problem to get the 140mm it should have.

Sounds all gloomy but I love my bike, just got to iron out the kinks. I’m definitely 0.00001% faster since buying it

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    Am fairly happy with my new bike.

A Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x

It rides really well, the value for money was incredible and I love the way it looks in snot green. Just looking at her makes me wanna hurl it off stuff.

Now i’ve done a few hundred miles on it, theres a few things, I’ve come to realise or i’m not so happy with tho.

I now know I prefer RockShox suspension to Fox but that’s no big deal.

The Reverbs unnecessary, unless it gets stupidly steep, I’ve learnt I feel more comfortable leaning on the saddle when getting sideways so personally I get out of control more often when its fully slammed, a 50mm drop would be perfect for me. Also the Reverbs broken once and I think its loosing pressure again. Not best pleased about that,

Its a tiny bit long, so I’ve got a shorter stem on order but am worried that I might not get the weight over the front enough for grip now.
    Its a bit heavy at 32.0 especially at the back (shes got a fat ass) even with all the top end kit so theres not much I can do about that. Maybe I’m just used to a hardtail.
    The rear shock dosent seem to use all its travel so its essentially a 150mm fork 130mm shock bike. Got to figure if this is a frame design flaw or a shock problem to get the 140mm it should have.

Sounds all gloomy but I love my bike, just got to iron out the kinks. I’m definitely 0.00001% faster since buying it

Surely it's not that heavy? My Strive is less than 31lbs! I'd never not have a dropper post now either, I use it all the time and have got more flow on a ride as a result. Drop it slightly to hammer a descent or fully out of the way for bigger drops and back up again for the climbs. No more comprising or stopping to adjust the saddle and certainly not surprise "invasions"!!