Tour de Suisse *Spoilers*

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    EurosportPlayer up to its tricks again,, Murray has to be on 2 channels I see... having to watch via SportsLivez
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Looks cold and wet like a classic in March.

EDIT: he types as the sun comes out.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    Certainly can't see beyond an Oss win. Leaky aren't going to win many friends if they keep dominating these races!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Oss doing no work.

I wonder if he will wait for a sprint or go for a flyer.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Playing cat and mouse now but have still opened the gap back up!
  • Pross
    They've got Puccio stuck on the front now.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pross wrote:
    Playing cat and mouse now but have still opened the gap back up!

Nah. The bigger the gap, the longer the delay in the time gap ;).
  • frenchfighter
    OSS LAST
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    He was 6th.
  • Pross
    They did a good job of working Oss over there, at least Leaky didn't get the stage win.
  • Pross
    Well, I can see why the bunch take it easy on stages in GTs (as with the one stage in this year's Giro) but in a one week stage race this is ridiculous. I can't recall seeing riders chatting like that at the end of a stage unless the race has been neutralised - it looked like the part of the final TdF stage before they reach the Champs!
  • rick_chasey
    Bugger me this is a boring TdS.
  • Pross
    Now it's like a 4th cat crit as all the riders who've done nothing fight for a couple of licence points :lol:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    Bugger me this is a boring TdS.

Chipper, innit.
  • frenchfighter
    Its a good race.

If you dont like it go an beat around the bush talking inane shoot about Andy and Wiggins.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Its a good race.

If you dont like it go an beat around the bush talking inane shoot about Andy and Wiggins.

Usually I'm all over the TdS.

But this one...
  • frenchfighter
    You didnt enjoy Verbier?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Costa remains in the lead which is likely why they didn't bother chasing.

General Classification after Stage 5
    1 FARIA DA COSTA, Rui Alberto (MOVISTAR) 20:53:27
    2 SCHLECK, Frank (RADIOSHACK-NISSAN) + 0:08
    3 KREUZIGER, Roman (ASTANA) + 0:15
    4 PINOT, Thibaut (FDJ-BIG MAT) + 0:19
    5 ROCHE, Nicolas (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 0:21
    6 LÖVKVIST, Thomas (SKY PROCYCLING)
    7 VALVERDE BELMONTE, Alejandro (MOVISTAR) + 0:23
    8 GADRET, John (AG2R LA MONDIALE) + 0:24
    9 NIEVE ITURALDE, Mikel (EUSKALTEL - EUSKADI) + 0:26
    10 DANIELSON, Thomas (GARMIN-BARRACUDA) + 0:29
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    You didnt enjoy Verbier?

It's been the only decent stage so far but hopefully the next few days will be better. I'm always surprised how few mountain stages they put in the TdS. 2 years ago (I think) it didn't have any proper mountains at all. Last year was a very good race though.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Blame Sagan for it being boring :P
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    If you want to read a funny story about Lotto in Switzerland, have a look at the second story 'Carwash' on Inner Ring:

http://inrng.com/2012/06/wednesday-shorts-2/
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Pross wrote:
    You didnt enjoy Verbier?

It's been the only decent stage so far but hopefully the next few days will be better. I'm always surprised how few mountain stages they put in the TdS. 2 years ago (I think) it didn't have any proper mountains at all. Last year was a very good race though.

Isn't that coz of Cancellara though? Yer right though.... more mountains would be great, but would probably put off many riders using it to get ready for the tour.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    You didnt enjoy Verbier?
    Isn't that coz of Cancellara though? Yer right though.... more mountains would be great, but would probably put off many riders using it to get ready for the tour.
    I don’t think this years’s Tour de Suisse was in any way arranged for Cancellara; most commentators judged it too hard for him even before his accident, seeing it more for the likes of Leipheimer, Cunego, Fuglsang, a Rabobank rider, Anton, Danielson or Kreuziger.

I’m not sure more mountains would put off Tour GC contenders. In the past successful Tour riders more frequently used the Suisse Tour as their last preparation than the Dauphine, without necessarily winning in Switzerland.

Anyway, there does seem to be a trend to less mountains - the Giro was supposedly less strenuous than the previous couple of years, the Dauphine was pretty tame (much to the annoyance of French enthusiasts), and the Tour this year will be the same.
    So why expect Switzerland to be different.

At least the last stages will be the critical ones. In the same way you can always ignore the first week of any TdF, wrt the GC, you can now ignore the first 5 days of the Suisse Tour (unless you’re into sprints, etc).
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    knedlicky wrote:
    ratsbeyfus wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    You didnt enjoy Verbier?
    I don’t think this years’s Tour de Suisse was in any way arranged for Cancellara; most commentators judged it too hard for him even before his accident, seeing it more for the likes of Leipheimer, Cunego, Fuglsang, a Rabobank rider, Anton, Danielson or Kreuziger.

I’m not sure more mountains would put off Tour GC contenders. In the past successful Tour riders more frequently used the Suisse Tour as their last preparation than the Dauphine, without necessarily winning in Switzerland.

Anyway, there does seem to be a trend to less mountains - the Giro was supposedly less strenuous than the previous couple of years, the Dauphine was pretty tame (much to the annoyance of French enthusiasts), and the Tour this year will be the same.
    So why expect Switzerland to be different.

At least the last stages will be the critical ones. In the same way you can always ignore the first week of any TdF, wrt the GC, you can now ignore the first 5 days of the Suisse Tour (unless you’re into sprints, etc).

Sorry... I meant the'flat' TDS 2 years ago was supposed to be set up for Canc's win - should have made that clearer.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • frenchfighter
    From Iran

ap-201206131259467694503.1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    No doubt Harmon will have his serious 'doping scandal' voice on today.
  • frenchfighter
    sui12-miss02.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Main news about today's stage 6 is that it's not raining!

After 20 km, the 12 second gap Albasini, Gavazzi, Ten Dam and Bazzana had opened was closed by Liquigas.
    Albasini has since then tried to get away again, and also Elmiger, but both failed due to Liquigas.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah Ten Dam - was wondering where he was - he usually does very well in the TdS.
  • frenchfighter
    Albasini sure has ants in his pants and wants a stage win.
    Contador is the Greatest