Giro Stage 18 *spoiler*

12346»

Comments

• TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    afx237vi wrote:
    Because it isn't true.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ma ... o-stage-18

Cavendish: "He was the fastest in a fast sprint today and certainly had more energy than me," he said.

Fair enough. I am wrong. I apologise to everyone.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    *sniggers*
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Well, I was watching the highlights with the sound off as they re usually in dutch (obviously!), just flicked it on for the finish and it was Dave and Sean....

so there you go...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Well there you have it, only 8 pages on a Cav defeat. I put it down to posters putting too much effort in to an intermediate sprint and their failure to recover fully from that.

I actually want one of those Farnese "highlighter pen" kits. I think they are great.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    That kit, hat, glasses combo is soooooo PRO. Going to love wielding that photo out at every op.

“During the first week of the Giro d’Italia I didn’t believe in myself enough. I’d been struggling in the sprints and things hadn’t been going my way. I knew this sprint was the last chance I had. I knew it suited me because it was so flat. I knew my chance was today or that I’d have to wait until next year. I knew I could beat Cavendish but I knew I had to jump first and by doing that today, I’ve realised what I can do.”

“The difference between winning this sprint and winning one after 250km of racing all comes down to experience. A few years ago Cavendish struggled on the climbs and he’s amazing, as he proved by winning Milano-Sanremo at the first attempt and at my age. I think I’m a similar kind of sprinter as Cavendish but my idol was Robbie McEwen who retired a few days ago.”

“Milano-Sanremo is the race of my dreams but I know I’ve still got to work a lot to have a chance to win it. Milano-Sanremo is a long term goal.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    We’ll tackle the last climb at 15km/h; Hesjedal weighs 70kg, while I’m only 58kg and so the climb suits me better.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    Science would indicate Guardini was the fastest, he crossed the line first.

I don't know much about sprinting, but isn't it about speed, positioning and timing? If you're lacking in one of the 3, you won't win.

I know Cavendish means well, but the constant thanking of team mates drives me mad. It's their job, you don't need to thank them every single time.

Thanks for you doing your job...
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    iainf72 wrote:
    Science would indicate Guardini was the fastest, he crossed the line first.

I don't know much about sprinting, but isn't it about speed, positioning and timing? If you're lacking in one of the 3, you won't win.

I know Cavendish means well, but the constant thanking of team mates drives me mad. It's their job, you don't need to thank them every single time.

Thanks for you doing your job...

I can see how it grates on people, but part of the problem is that we hear it so often. Most riders thank their teams after they've won, but most riders only win once or twice each season, whereas Cavendish wins 10-15 times a seaon and many of these are at the Tour, when we always get to hear the riders interviewed after the stages rather than just reading their quotes on Cycling News.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Great work by sky especially Stannard, he was a monster yesterday.
    G gave perfect lead out but he seemed to look for Cav to come round earlier than he did.
    I think after the Bend when G was still in fron and Cav behind hie, Cav did not think he would be challenged so did not start sprinting where he usually would and then got jumped with 150m to go and once he was passed was not going to get back the lead, he will be pissed off at that for sure :D Good timing by Guardini tho
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Good win for Guardini, finally wins a sprint against the very best. He'll need to do it again though before Cav will get worried, Griepel beat Cav in a straight up sprint at the Tour last year but it remains very much the exception to the rule.

Would be good for us viewers if a rider emerged who could beat Cav on a regular basis, rather just than when Cav has an off day.

I think yesterday was a combination of Cav being a bit knackered and perhaps being a little overconfident as so many of the big name sprinters have gone home. Still a great win for Guardini though, textbook.

Have to admit feeling a bit sorry for Cav that he missed out on the extra red jersey points though, he's taken the initiative in the intermiediate sprints and struggled over the climbs this Giro, it's a shame that he'll probably miss out now to a guy who probably doesn't even care about red.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    That kit, hat, glasses combo is soooooo PRO. Going to love wielding that photo out at every op.
    Getty
    329bf93f6782463060071d1c8e5065f3-getty-511174500.jpg
    To the vast majority of the population it's just a skinny bloke directing traffic, wearing overpriced, too-tight dayglo yellow clothes with matching accessories (handbag?) looking like a mobile billboard, with another dozen blokes behind him busting a gut to ride as close as they can behind him.

Am I missing something? :wink:

Still, at least they get paid to do it.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • frenchfighter
    Guardini was nicknamed 'Flash' after this stage.
    Contador is the Greatest