Giro Stage 18 *spoiler*

Comments

• Neil McC
    Neil McC Posts: 625
    Cav will just be upset with himself, you see guys who get beaten in a sprint thumping their bars all the time. Nothing unusual that sets him apart there, no rider racing for the win enjoys being beaten. Probably just didn't know who it was who had beaten him so had a look as he went past it seemed to me :lol:
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    He seemed to be at full speed before Cav started sprinting and held it over the line.

But I don't think it matters for the points jersey - if Cav gets 20 + 8 points from today that puts him 29 points clear of JRod.

So as long as J-Rod doesn't win BOTH mountain stages (and Cav makes the cutoff) then Cav should get the points jersey in Milan?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    So Cavendish has a 29 point lead. It is unlikely that he'll get any TV points tomorrow or Saturday (although a slim chance on Saturday if they take the 2nd cat and two 3rd cats steady as he got over an early 2nd cat in the peloton yesterday). A win and top 12 placing would see J Rod take it along with second and top 6 and third and fourth in the next two stages. Uran and Henao could help him out here!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

I just noticed something really funny about Guardini's sprint style. He sprints, then seems to look up, sprints some more, then looks up again and does that like 4 or 5 times. Amusing to watch (Unless you're Cav).
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    TimB34 wrote:
    So as long as J-Rod doesn't win BOTH mountain stages (and Cav makes the cutoff) then Cav should get the points jersey in Milan?

The Giro doesn't do reduced points for mountain stages like the tour, winning both would give J-Rod another 50 points and a very comfortable win.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Pross
    TimB34 wrote:

Nope, 3rd and 4th on Friday and Saturday would still give it to J Rod.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Didn't get many pats. Harsh. His first Giro win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Pross wrote:
    Was a very good lead out by G as well. Failed to fully recover from the TV sprint?

left his sprinting legs on the valcava
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Pross wrote:
    So Cavendish has a 29 point lead. It is unlikely that he'll get any TV points tomorrow or Saturday (although a slim chance on Saturday if they take the 2nd cat and two 3rd cats steady as he got over an early 2nd cat in the peloton yesterday). A win and top 12 placing would see J Rod take it along with second and top 6 and third and fourth in the next two stages. Uran and Henao could help him out here!

uran and henao are too high on gc to go down the road and I can't see either attacking over the top.

pozzi + some disparate break is his best chance

maybe jrod will crack on the stevilo and be out the points completely...you never know
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him outside the top 6 on the Stelvio (but then I didn't expect him to be one of the strongest yesterday either).
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Pross wrote:
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Well well,

A great leadout from G and the SKY boys, everything set up perfectly and Cav fluffs it. Have the mountains destroyed his legs?

Doubt it, he seems to go through them well on the Tour. I think it was just a very good, well timed effort by Guardini. Not sure why he hasn't figured up until now on that performance.

Mark Cavendish seemed to wave his arm at the winner today in an angry fashion. It isn't the winner's fault; he behaved well in the run in.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    2012_tour_of_italy_stage18_andrea_guardini_wins6a.jpg

Lulz
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,578
    Cav on Twitter
    Pretty angry to be beaten when my team set me up like today. I was lazy & left the sprint 50m too late. @andreaguardini was FAST! Congrats.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Yeah - cross with himself. Underestimated the strength of those left.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    mroli wrote:

shook his arm in angry fashion at that guy who won....seemed not rational. He got beat by someone faster
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Cav on Twitter
    Pretty angry to be beaten when my team set me up like today. I was lazy & left the sprint 50m too late. @andreaguardini was FAST! Congrats.

There was only about 10m difference between where Guardini started sprinting and where Cav did and once Guardini had the gap, he held it to the end - Cav wasn't closing, so I'm not sure it would have made a huge difference if they both started earlier . I think Cav's "laziness" was more about being overly confident that he could see off any challenge.

It's nice to see sprints a little less predictable than they have been of late.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Guardini is the sprinter who most closely resembles Cav.
    Slated for not being able to climb a speed bump, (yet he is on the brink of completing his first Giro..........fingers crossed) yet extremely quick in a straight line, flat sprint.
    He isn't blessed with much of a lead out, so often gets swamped by the various lead out trains.
    However, the boy is quick, very quick on his day and today was his day.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • coulcher
    coulcher Posts: 95
    Dave_1 wrote:
    mroli wrote:

shook his arm in angry fashion at that guy who won....seemed not rational. He got beat by someone faster

The first angle looked like that. There was another close up they showed from the front and it was clear he was shaking his arm at himself but happened to glance over. It's pretty obvious he had no reason to be angry at Guardini.
  • TMR
    Dave_1 wrote:
    shook his arm in angry fashion at that guy who won....seemed not rational. He got beat by someone who was more switched on

Fixed for you. Cav is the fastest full stop. It's not an issue of speed, it's an issue of attention and perhaps, as others have alluded, under-estimating the opposition.

Don't think it'll happen again any time soon.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Dave_1 wrote:
    shook his arm in angry fashion at that guy who won....seemed not rational. He got beat by someone who was more switched on

Fixed for you. Cav is the fastest full stop. It's not an issue of speed, it's an issue of attention and perhaps, as others have alluded, under-estimating the opposition.

Don't think it'll happen again any time soon.

Think that's unfair on Guardini, tbh. Cav is usually the fastest. Today he was beaten for speed, nothing else to it.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Mark Cavendish seemed to wave his arm at the winner today in an angry fashion. It isn't the winner's fault; he behaved well in the run in.

Don't think Guardini was to bothered.
    iainf72 wrote:
    2012_tour_of_italy_stage18_andrea_guardini_wins6a.jpg
  • TMR
    afx237vi wrote:
    Think that's unfair on Guardini, tbh. Cav is usually the fastest. Today he was beaten for speed, nothing else to it.

I don't accept that. He was beaten by intelligence, Guardini jumped first and was already up to full speed when Cav jumped. If they had both been level, both started sprinting at the same time and still won, then you can say Guardini was faster. But that's not what happened.

And I have no problem with Cav been beaten, just with the description of the loss.
  • iainf72
    Science would indicate Guardini was the fastest, he crossed the line first.

I don't know much about sprinting, but isn't it about speed, positioning and timing? If you're lacking in one of the 3, you won't win.

I know Cavendish means well, but the constant thanking of team mates drives me mad. It's their job, you don't need to thank them every single time.
  • TMR
    iainf72 wrote:

I'm sick of explaining it now, if you can't grasp the distinction then I'll give up. I'm not enough of a Cav fanboi to argue until the cows come home.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:

I don't accept that. He was beaten by intelligence, Guardini jumped first and was already up to full speed when Cav jumped. If they had both been level, both started sprinting at the same time and still won, then you can say Guardini was faster. But that's not what happened.

And I have no problem with Cav been beaten, just with the description of the loss.

Semantics. Like Iain said, the guy crossed the line first, ergo he was fastest. It's not his problem Cav didn't start his sprint in time. Part of being fast is being switched on and getting the jump first. If Cav had been blocked or impeded by another rider, then there'd be some debate, but that's not what happened, he was beaten fair and square. Saying Cav wasn't paying attention or under-estimated Guardini demeans his victory.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 wrote:

I'm sick of explaining it now, if you can't grasp the distinction then I'll give up. I'm not enough of a Cav fanboi to argue until the cows come home.

It doesn't make sense though.

If Cavendish was sprinting, and someone was closing on him, but didn't pass him, who would've been the faster of the 2?
  • TMR
    afx237vi wrote:
    Saying Cav wasn't paying attention or under-estimated Guardini demeans his victory.

Why? If it's true, then it's true.

It's no different to Greipel winning the stage in the TdF. He only won because Cav made a mistake.
  • TMR
    iainf72 wrote:
    It doesn't make sense though.

If Cavendish was sprinting, and someone was closing on him, but didn't pass him, who would've been the faster of the 2?

That depends. If Cav was at 100% then the fellow closing on him obviously. If Cav wasn't at 100% then it's not possible to say.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi wrote:
    Saying Cav wasn't paying attention or under-estimated Guardini demeans his victory.

Why? If it's true, then it's true.

Because it isn't true.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ma ... o-stage-18

Cavendish: "He was the fastest in a fast sprint today and certainly had more energy than me," he said.