Giro Stage 18 *spoiler*

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited June 2012 in Pro race
Might as well start this one I guess.

Stage kicked off about 10mins ago.

I don't think anyone can see past Cavendish especially given basically all sprinters are out. Maybe Guardini will win one...!

ukm_18.jpg

c120da1b-ab3d-46f2-af06-f2d00ea68bc2_400.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    4 out the front: Pagini. Clement, Boaro and ANO
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Well the problem is can Thomas, Stannard, Eisel and Flecha, Henao control the race enough that it actually ends in a sprint. Will they call in some favours from Greededge or Rabo (if there's enough of them to actually do anything) to help pull it back - Androni and Farnese still have sprinters, but they'll probably have someone in the break anyway, so can't see them helping.

I think it might be tough for Sky.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Angelo Pagani (Ita), Colnago-CSF Inox
    Pier Paolo De Negri (Ita), Farnese Vini-Selle Italia
    Stef Clement (Ned), Rabobank
    Manuele Boaro (Ita), Saxo Bank

Out the front.

Velits - DNS
    Contador is the Greatest
  • jibberjim
    Small break, so that's good for Sky - the teams just want a rest today I guess?
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    its De Negri and the gap is up to 2:30 already
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Intermediate sprint today is a hill top finish 84km in - Cesiomaggiore. A small number of points could be important in terms of the Maglia Rossa, even the 2 pts for 5th if that break stays clear until then.
  • Dancing Bear
    Dancing Bear Posts: 185
    i think this is one stage of the Giro i could manage, 2% downhill average for the whole stage, must be pretty good.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    I think Guardini is really struggling isn't he? He has been rolling in after the Auto Bus and is second last on GC. Has he even sprinted yet? Perhaps todays short stage may suit him more and with most of the other sprinters at home you'd hope he'd be up there. Can't see past Cav though, unless Sky can't control it-Thomas, Stannard and Eisel will have to do the bulk of the work you'd imagine.
  • jibberjim
    RonB wrote:
    Intermediate sprint today is a hill top finish 84km in - Cesiomaggiore. A small number of points could be important in terms of the Maglia Rossa, even the 2 pts for 5th if that break stays clear until then.

Can he take it though - be interesting to see if Katusha send some guys to mop it up - it's uphill so it won't be that easy for Cav.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    All will be revealed in around an hour or so.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Would Cavendish be allowed in a break today? My feeling is no...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    I know Cavendish divides opinion on the forum, but he deserves enormous credit for how he has approached this race. I hope he's rewarded with a stage win today and makes it through to Sunday.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Mad Roadie
    Mad Roadie Posts: 710
    2:53 now, but holding.. good to see cav still in red, he must be fancying his chances of keeping it until the end now
  • Tom BB
    Wow listening to Harmon list all the riders whom have abandoned.......will anyone even contest the finish with Cav! Aside from Guardini and Ferrari, what other sprinters are left? Most of the leadout men/second rate sprinters have gone too!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    This stage is so EPIC, it's got two spoilers. :oops:
    Race speed 50kph and climbing.
    Should be mercifully short.
    Oh yes, I might as well put Cav in my post, too.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Merged.
  • Cav's had a shave too, he must have read your comments Frenchie :)
  • rick_chasey
    Cav's had a shave too, he must have read your comments Frenchie :)

As I asked in the other thread - face or legs?
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    not related just to stage 18 but is anyone else finding the constant highlighting, by Eurosport, of discarded bidons rolling through the peleton and having to be avoided (and on the German commentry that I'm being subjected to, being reminded that it was a bidon that took Fabü down in the Tour of Flanders), just a little annoying?

I'm sure it's nothing new.
  • rick_chasey
    schweiz wrote:
    not related just to stage 18 but is anyone else finding the constant highlighting, by Eurosport, of discarded bidons rolling through the peloton and having to be avoided (and on the German commentry that I'm being subjected to, being reminded that it was a bidon that took Fabü down in the Tour of Flanders), just a little annoying?

Haven't noticed it.
  • schweiz wrote:
    not related just to stage 18 but is anyone else finding the constant highlighting, by Eurosport, of discarded bidons rolling through the peloton and having to be avoided (and on the German commentry that I'm being subjected to, being reminded that it was a bidon that took Fabü down in the Tour of Flanders), just a little annoying?

not seeing that...but I wish the the guy with erectile problems sitting up the tree with his missus would to sort himself out :roll:
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    schweiz wrote:

Haven't noticed it.

It's happened a couple of times in post Tour of Flanders classics and they've highlighted 3 or 4 occurances already this week including one where a bidon hit a road sign and bounced back into the middle of the peleton. I bet whoever threw it couldn't do it again if they tried! There was another today about 15 mins ago which prompted my post.
  • Sky, Liquigas, Garmin & Katusha prominent at the front of the peloton at the moment...
  • rick_chasey
    schweiz wrote:
    schweiz wrote:

Haven't noticed it.

It's happened a couple of times in post Tour of Flanders classics and they've highlighted 3 or 4 occurances already this week including one where a bidon hit a road sign and bounced back into the middle of the peloton. I bet whoever threw it couldn't do it again if they tried! There was another today about 15 mins ago which prompted my post.

Yeah. henk lubberding was going on about the poor etiquette current pro-cyclists were showing generally last TdF.

Things like stopping on the left hand side of the road (instead of the right) - going the wrong side of the lunch people at the lunch stop etc etc.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Looks like they've lost live coverage... both my feeds are frozen and RAI are doing loads of ads.
  • blazing_saddles
    Are Sky about to take a dangerous gamble?
    Seems they are after taking the break back and contesting the IS.
  • Looks like they've lost live coverage... both my feeds are frozen and RAI are doing loads of ads.

this one still up & running

http://videochat.gazzetta.it/index_Radi ... smo_Libero
  • Tom BB
    Split in the peloton....its a shame that Frank Schleck has gone home....we could've talked about him being on the wrong side of it!
  • blazing_saddles
    Massive split in the peloton, caused by Sky roping in the break.
    Might not be the predictable damp squib after all.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Massive split in the field.