Giro: stage 11 'spoiler'.

Comments

• alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,584
    Paulie W wrote:
    I've never seen a single post from you that doesnt reveal what an unpleasant little man you are - you make me root for Lance!
    Perhaps I should employ the same PR team as Cavendish. If they can persuade everyone that he is now a different guy to one who used to go around sticking two fingers up at the world and spitting at the feet of those which criticised his dangerous riding, then they could make a saint out of me! :lol:

Christonabike. Even I want to yawn at you.

You are to this forum what 90 minute sectarianism is to Scottish football.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    knedlicky wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Schleck out the back for some reason.
    I heard he came in with the second big group, so maybe lost time.
    46 seconds!
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    nweststeyn wrote:
    BikingBernie got bullied by Cavendish at school.
    Cavendish was a bully at school? Why do I find that so easy to believe?! :lol:
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    how far down did goss actually come?
  • B3rnieMac
    nweststeyn wrote:
    BikingBernie got bullied by Cavendish at school.
    Cavendish was a bully at school? Why do I find that so easy to believe?! :lol:

Marck+Cavendish+and+his+dance+partner.jpg

i suspect he did precisely zero bullying at school.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    knedlicky wrote:
    Good win by Ferrari. I feel pleased for him.
    He took the corner very well, unlike Cavendish, and his acceleration out of it was pretty impressive.
    Pross wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Uran in Cav's train... interesting. Wonder if Wiggo is watching this? :twisted:
    Not keeping the pace high enough so the others take over!
    Considering Uran is the Sky GC man, he should be doing less in the train, otherwise he’ll end up burnt out by his train work, like Tony Martin sometimes is.

I agree it was a good win by Ferrari. He took the perfect line which enable him to hold his pace through the corner. Cavendish went slightly wide and had to slow and was then too highly geared to get back up to speed. Surprising as Cav usually takes a good line when he is near the front or perhaps Renshaw led him on a good line as in the final stage of the 2010 Tour. As for the Uran thing, I don't think he has been in the train most days - I seem to see him sat near the back with Henao quite a lot. I think he's in more danger of losing time due to getting caught up in a crash than from doing too much work. Eisel, Thomas, Stannard, Hunt, Kennaugh and Flecha have been the workhorses.
  • BikingBernie
    Alan A wrote:
    You are to this forum what 90 minute sectarianism is to Scottish football.
    That's rather ironic, given the fact that the biggest displays of 'sectarianism' on here seem to come from flag-waving Cavendish fans who would probably defend him if he put the boot into someone! :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    Nowt wrong with a bit of arrogance when you are genuinly the best at what you do
    Yes, he is best at what he does - coming to the front in the last 50 m after being given an armchair ride over a pan-flat course. However, there is rather more to bike racing than that!

He is certainly not a classic sprinter in the mould of the likes of Freddy Maertens, who could also show well in the cobbled classics and the Grand Tours.
    Yet of Maertens and Cavendish, only one has won a monument
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Serious question Bernie, which riders do you admire?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    ....True....... Champions......?
  • BikingBernie
    Fewer and fewer as time passes.

Bassons, Boardman, the 'old' Wiggins perhaps..
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,578

Maybe a cycling forum is not the best place for you then.
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    In other news, Edvald Boasson Hagen sprinted to third place on stage one at the Tour of Norway - lets troll this Stage 11 thread. Do it.

Back to the beef jerky.
  • ellerslierd
    ellerslierd Posts: 266
    With reference to the "interesting" finishes; when you sign up for a tour of Italy, and Italian towns are often full of tight, narrow streets, you are signing up for tight technical finishes. I know it doesn't HAVE to be that way, but surely this gives the race a bit more character (than say Qatar). Plus, it mixes things up a bit.

The only thing is the added danger I suppose, but the crash in Denmark was on a dead straight run in...
  • BikingBernie
    TheBigBean wrote:

Maybe a cycling forum is not the best place for you then.
    Ironically, given my reference to Bassons, that is exactly the same response as Armstrong gave when Bassons spoke out against doping:
    On the morning after Armstrong’s emphatic solo victory on the first alpine stage to Sestriere in the 1999 Tour, Bassons cast doubt on the legitimacy of the American’s performance in his daily column for Le Parisien. Later that day, Bassons claimed, Armstrong rode alongside him in the peloton to relay a terse message. "He said it was a mistake to speak out the way I do and he asked why I was doing it,” Bassons recalled later. “I told him that I'm thinking of the next generation of riders. Then he said 'Why don't you leave, then?'".

Armstrong later corroborated the story. He also added: "[Bassons’] accusations aren't good for cycling, for his team, for me, for anybody. If he thinks cycling works like that, he's wrong and he would be better off going home.”
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bassons ... -armstrong
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Ahh I see... You're actually a w***er for the sake of the greater, cycling good. You martyr you!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    how far down did goss actually come?
    He’s listed as 183rd, at 10-02 back, together with 3 dozen others, including Phinney, Bonnet, Bobridge, Rasmussen, Hunt, and 4 of today’s long break (Denifl, Kaisen, Delage and Boaro). Fifth man of the break, Saez, was even farther back.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Is the Bernie factor skewing my "If Cavendish loses it's more interesting" theory?

BTW - If the "old" Wiggins means the outspoken about doping one, that was mostly a creation of the press.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    An interesting quote in this month's Esquire magazine from Mark Cavendish. "There's a tier of sprinters and I'm ahead of them. They can all fight among each other, but I'll still continue to dominate them."

What an arrogant prick!

He might be but he's not wrong

And no one disagreed on the tiering chart either

tumblr_m3ptrbFudo1qcn3m5o1_500.jpg
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,578

Ironically, given my reference to Bassons, that is exactly the same response as Armstrong gave when Bassons spoke out against doping:

I'm struggling to see the connection here.

Bassons heroically tried to break the Omerta and ride clean.

You don’t like Cavendish’s manners and think he may have caused a crash a couple of years ago. Forgive me for not realising the greater good for which you are so nobly battling my repression.

Perhaps my point was too generic - if you don’t like any modern cyclists or races then why contribute to a Giro stage 11 discussion?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Perhaps my point was too generic - if you don’t like any modern cyclists or races then why contribute to a Giro stage 11 discussion?

I'm not sure the true answer to that could be posted without invoking the wrath of the Mods ;)

Perhaps better to accept Bernie's 'uniqueness' and leave it at that.
  • samg123
    samg123 Posts: 275
    Pross wrote:
    Nowt wrong with a bit of arrogance when you are genuinly the best at what you do
    Yes, he is best at what he does - coming to the front in the last 50 m after being given an armchair ride over a pan-flat course. However, there is rather more to bike racing than that!

He is certainly not a classic sprinter in the mould of the likes of Freddy Maertens, who could also show well in the cobbled classics and the Grand Tours.
    Cav himself has an answer to that one: http://youtu.be/mxRcaIVPkps?t=51m9s
  • B3rnieMac
    That side on shot on the champs always makes my jaw drop. SO fast.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    That side on shot on the champs always makes my jaw drop. SO fast.

His best sprint to date IMHO. I love that shot :)
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    TheBigBean wrote:

I'm not sure the true answer to that could be posted without invoking the wrath of the Mods ;)

Perhaps better to accept Bernie's 'uniqueness' and leave it at that.

Agreed. I may disagree with his view on Cav but I respect his resolve on Armstrong just like I love the photo's FF posts but despair at his defence of Contador and I admire the time that Rick puts in to the forum despite my concern about his Boonen fetish.

It takes allsorts, that's what is so good about ProRace
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • BikingBernie
    edited May 2012
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I'm struggling to see the connection here. Bassons heroically tried to break the Omerta and ride clean. You don’t like Cavendish’s manners and think he may have caused a crash a couple of years ago...
    That's because there isn't a direct connection as such.

You resorted to the 'If you don't like it, leave' response, which is trite and often used by those who simply cannot tolerate a dissenting voice, and as such is a form of subtle bullying. I had just mentioned Bassons and he was subject to a similar response by Armstrong, so I was implying that you were in 'good company'.

As to my attitude to Cavendish. People look up to or even idolise the likes of Cavendish (and much the same could be said of Armstrong) when to my mind their personal qualities mean that they don't deserve such respect. Some might try to argue that it is simply their sporting ability that they admire, but it is clear that many other factors are at least as important. For example, it is obvious that many support Cavendish first and foremost because he is British, and as such will defend his actions when they would condemn them if he were of another nationality. I think that such tribalism is one of the worst characteristics of 'human nature' and as such I admit to feeling a little frisson when the idols of the 'tribalists' fail to deliver.

(Similarly with Armstrong, it is very obvious that many of his fans support him primarily because of the way he represents a certain 'To the winner the spoils' individualism or as someone who adept at 'rubbing the Gallic nose into the pavement again, always a trusty pleasure' as the Texas Monthly put it. Once again, it is not just Armstrong's personal failings that mean I have little respect for him, it is what he represents and perhaps most of all the sort of people who idolise him).

As to why I still follow the sport, I guess it is because I have not yet totally forgotten the feelings of awe and excitement that I used to get when watching the sport as a schoolboy. I have also followed the sport long enough (40 years) to remember the time when British riders where almost universally also-rans, and as such one could chose one's 'heroes' primarily on the basis of their perceived personal qualities, rather than because they provide an opportunity to 'wave the national flag' or symbolise a certain type of politics. That said, I am aware of the contradictions that exist between my personal values and the very concept of following competitive sport. I also think that the criticisms of cycling, and sport in general, made by the philosopher Robert Redker are very sound. Given this, perhaps my days of watching bike racing are numbered! :wink:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    good stage I thought

cav just didn't have the legs
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • BikingBernie
    good stage I thought

cav just didn't have the legs
    Despite, at least as is reported on CFA, getting pushed by team mates up the climbs. Oh well, it makes a change from hanging on to the door of the team car or getting pushed up the hills by spectators:

http://velochimp.com/2012/05/cavendish- ... ng-pushed/

I think he looks a bit too much like a fat punter in a sportive here! :wink:
  • B3rnieMac
    Nice Try, cornoymade
  • BikingBernie
    B3rnieMac wrote:
    Nice Try, cornoymade
    If you are implying that I am 'cornoymade', whoever that is, you are wrong...

Anyhow, Cavendish certainly likes to blame others when he doesn't win. I wonder if this sort of reaction will make Thomas and his other team mates more or less likely to want to crucify themselves for his benefit?
    Mark Cavendish lost another chance to win in the Giro d'Italia today in Montecatini Terme. His Sky train rumbled through the last bend, but over-powered and out of control. Geraint Thomas' pedal hit the ground and caused his wheel to jump, Cavendish lost momentum and Roberto Ferrari (Androni) shot clear.

"I was screaming the last kilometres to be careful," Cavendish said on TV afterwards. "I'm a little disappointed with Geraint, he wasn't careful. I let him know right after the finish."
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... terme.html