Giro: stage 11 'spoiler'.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,188
    Thinking about it, I had Goss today as I thought he'd get over the climb better than Cav :(
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Cav will take points jersey.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Ha Ha Ha! :lol:

Sometimes only seeing the front in the last 50m is simply leaving it too late!

Think you forgot to log in to your alt account Bernie...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,578
    To continue the red jersey discussion from a few days ago. Cav sat up. Maybe that means he isn't planning on winning it and finishing the Giro.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    shouldnt you be using your corneycont log in Bernie?
  • Pross
    I find it amusing that people are laughing at Cavendish coming 4th, he still did better than most of the sprinters that would have been expected to show. I'm sure we'll get the usual Sky train was rubbish posts but I thought they did it very well today.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Cav looked like he was pedalling through treacle trying to close that gap.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    To continue the red jersey discussion from a few days ago. Cav sat up. Maybe that means he isn't planning on winning it and finishing the Giro.

Not sure...I'd say he knew we wasn't going to win and rested...he was trying to get back up until just after the last slight bend
  • Cav looked like he was pedalling through treacle trying to close that gap.

He got slowed coming out of the tight right hander and was too highly geared...
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    Whoever the guy right at the front before the corner (don't think it was Thomas) took it wrong and slowed as not to hit the barrier. This caused Thomas etc to slow and Ferrari went through on the inside for something like a 350m flier round the corner and a long way out. You see Cav react to him slightly, on his own, but it's delayed. He looks to close down the gap a bit before the very final corner but he did look overgeared.

Was it slightly uphill?

Also worth noting not many of the usual flat sprinting suspects in that final pack. Didn't look your usual flat straight sprint finish and quite surprised Cav placed forth, I think he only gave up after that final small turn when Ferrari was virtually on the line. He never really looked like he would get it due to how fast ferrari shot off and how his slightly delayed reaction left him a bit off the pace
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Pross wrote:
    I find it amusing that people are laughing at Cavendish coming 4th, he still did better than most of the sprinters that would have been expected to show. I'm sure we'll get the usual Sky train was rubbish posts but I thought they did it very well today.
    Here's one reason to laugh:
    An interesting quote in this month's Esquire magazine from Mark Cavendish. "There's a tier of sprinters and I'm ahead of them. They can all fight among each other, but I'll still continue to dominate them."

What an arrogant prick!
  • islwyn
    Ferrari is the Joey Barton of cycling :D
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • islwyn
    An interesting quote in this month's Esquire magazine from Mark Cavendish. "There's a tier of sprinters and I'm ahead of them. They can all fight among each other, but I'll still continue to dominate them."

What an arrogant prick!

Ahh... :cry:
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Islwyn wrote:
    Bernie is the Joey Barton of the Pro Cycling forum :D

Fixed :)
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

What an arrogant prick!

He's right though. Nowt wrong with a bit of arrogance when you are genuinly the best at what you do (even if it isn't very British). Cippo used to say things like that all the time.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Judging by the post count of the thread, Cavendish should win.

Buckle up kid. This could get bumpy.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Judging by the post count of the thread, Cavendish should win.

Buckle up kid. This could get bumpy.
    :lol:
  • nweststeyn
    Buckle up kid. This could get boring.

I heard Mark Cavendish does core training by punching grannies and babies in quick succession.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I'd say staying upright and finish 4th is a good result on that finish.
    Ran out of speed, then ran short of gas.
    Ferrari got the best out of the bend, just like Sagan in Cali, day before last.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Anything in the top 5 in a Grand Tour stage is worth World Tour points, so shouldn't be sniffed at. I bet Ag2r would bite off your hand if you offered them 4th on a Giro stage!
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Pross wrote:

What an arrogant prick!

I've never seen a single post from you that doesnt reveal what an unpleasant little man you are - you make me root for Lance!
  • BikingBernie
    Pross wrote:
    Nowt wrong with a bit of arrogance when you are genuinly the best at what you do
    Yes, he is best at what he does - coming to the front in the last 50 m after being given an armchair ride over a pan-flat course. However, there is rather more to bike racing than that!

He is certainly not a classic sprinter in the mould of the likes of Freddy Maertens, who could also show well in the cobbled classics and the Grand Tours.
  • islwyn
    Yes, he is best at what he does - coming to the front in the last 50 m after being given an armchair ride over a pan-flat course.

Goes for all sprinters tbh so can't pin on one.

Going back to chewing on my beef jerky.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Good win by Ferrari. I feel pleased for him.
    He took the corner very well, unlike Cavendish, and his acceleration out of it was pretty impressive.
    Pross wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Uran in Cav's train... interesting. Wonder if Wiggo is watching this? :twisted:
    Not keeping the pace high enough so the others take over!
    Considering Uran is the Sky GC man, he should be doing less in the train, otherwise he’ll end up burnt out by his train work, like Tony Martin sometimes is.
    afx237vi wrote:
    Schleck out the back for some reason.
    I heard he came in with the second big group, so maybe lost time.
    What the hell happened to Goss then?
    Supposedly he didn’t feel that good still, after his crash the other day, so chose not to contest.
    afx237vi wrote:
    Cav got slowed up by... Thomas, maybe. A Sky rider anyway.
    Did he? Just looked like he took the corner badly to me.
  • BikingBernie
    Paulie W wrote:
    I've never seen a single post from you that doesnt reveal what an unpleasant little man you are - you make me root for Lance!
    Perhaps I should employ the same PR team as Cavendish. If they can persuade everyone that he is now a different guy to one who used to go around sticking two fingers up at the world and spitting at the feet of those which criticised his dangerous riding, then they could make a saint out of me! :lol:
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I'd say staying upright and finish 4th is a good result on that finish.
    Ran out of speed, then ran short of gas.
    Ferrari got the best out of the bend, just like Sagan in Cali, day before last.

But Sagan went around the outside, like a big, green Buffalo Girl. Fezza just took a short cut.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Paulie W wrote:
    Perhaps I should employ the same PR team as Cavendish. If they can persuade everyone that he is now a different guy to one who used to go around sticking two fingers up at the world and spitting at the feet of those which criticised his dangerous riding, then they could make a saint out of me! :lol:

I suspect you're beyond help.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    Nowt wrong with a bit of arrogance when you are genuinly the best at what you do
    Yes, he is best at what he does - coming to the front in the last 50 m after being given an armchair ride over a pan-flat course. However, there is rather more to bike racing than that!

He is certainly not a classic sprinter in the mould of the likes of Freddy Maertens, who could also show well in the cobbled classics and the Grand Tours.

So among his main sprint rivals who doesn't ride like that? Boonen and Sagan are the main ones who can mix it in the sprints but also ride in the manner you are suggesting. How often do the likes of Greipel, Kittel, Goss, Petacchi 9or in their days Cipo or Abdu) show their noses to the wind?

He doesn't say he is at the head of racing cyclists, he says he is at the head of sprinters and anyone looking objectively at things would be forced to agree with him. Personally I preferred the days when you had all-rounder sprinters battling for the points jersey such as Museeuw and Jalabert rather than out-and-out sit in sprinters but it's ultimately all about winning and you use your most powerful weapons to do that.
  • nweststeyn
    BikingBernie got bullied by Cavendish at school.